Does 3cm make a difference for frame size?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tk72tk

Does 3cm make a difference for frame size?

Post by tk72tk »

Looking at getting a specialized crosstrail or similar. Have found one I like but it's a large frame. The guide says 175cm to start at but I'm 172cm. Would the 3cm really make that much of a difference or should I hand out for a medium size? Any thoughts be appreciated.
tim-b

Re: Does 3cm make a difference for frame size?

Post by tim-b »

Hi
Generally all of the frame dimensions will be larger, and you might get longer crank arms and wider handlebars as well so you'll need to look at a geometry table for the bike
After that it depends on how you're proportioned; if you have a longer upper body then you might be fine with a longer top tube and you should be able to drop the saddle low enough with that design
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The answer is pretty much always yes. 3 cm increase in frame size is quite a difference. There could be some geometrical differences that could compensate from frame design to frame design, but with a given frame type / design, 3cm is quite a jump.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:The answer is pretty much always yes. 3 cm increase in frame size is quite a difference. There could be some geometrical differences that could compensate from frame design to frame design, but with a given frame type / design, 3cm is quite a jump.

3 cms refers to OP height being 3 cms below recommended height for a L frame. :D

The difference in reach between the M & L is 11mm.

It might work, I think it could, but I doubt anyone can tell the OP one way or another without seeing them on the bike.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
531colin

Post by 531colin »

How long is the top tube in a 175cm frame? :lol: :lol: :lol:
531colin

Post by 531colin »

tk72tk wrote:Looking at getting a specialized crosstrail or similar. Have found one I like but it's a large frame. The guide says 175cm to start at but I'm 172cm. Would the 3cm really make that much of a difference or should I hand out for a medium size? Any thoughts be appreciated.

Manufacturers give overlapping height ranges for their bikes. If 175cm is the shortest they recommend for a large frame then the medium recommendation will overlap that, so your height will fall within the range for "medium" size, and that's the manufacturers recommendation.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I can't see any geometry figures on Spesh website :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tk72tk

Post by tk72tk »

Thanks for your help. Won't get a large frame then as don't want to be too small for the bike. Was thinking that would be the answer but was getting new bike giddy :mrgreen: will hold out for a medium size.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

tk72tk wrote:Thanks for your help. Won't get a large frame then as don't want to be too small for the bike. Was thinking that would be the answer but was getting new bike giddy :mrgreen: will hold out for a medium size.

If you’re in between sizes, I’d say go for the smaller one. I’m pretty much on the border of most manufacturers M and L sizes. The M sizes usually feel more responsive for me. Giant have an M/L sizing, which ( dependant on which type of frame ) is pretty much spot on for me.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

Height guides are notoriously vague and tend to over-compensate. Someone's actual height is usually less relevant than comparative leg length or torso length, for example. In other words, even if you are 3cm under the height recommendation for a given size, it's quite possible that size might still be the best for you. The only way to be completely certain is to try it.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Being 3cm shorter isn't going to make much difference perhaps a cm in length of the top tube.

The crosstrail will be quite an upright position so you have plenty of scope to stretch out a little.

If your wanting a bit to piddle around looking at the scenery then the medium might be better giving a more heads up riding position.

If your wanting to cover the ground or commute a large will give a more aerodynamic position to give more speed.

Cheers James
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

reohn2 wrote:I can't see any geometry figures on Spesh website :?

This I believe is it https://static.evanscycles.com/producti ... _Chart.pdf
15mm Taller head tube and a 11mm longer reach everything else looks the same will it make huge difference?

Personally though, with a Trek and a Giant, I’ve always chosen from the smaller side of the range rather than larger.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
tk72tk

Post by tk72tk »

Paulatic wrote:

15mm Taller head tube and a 11mm longer reach everything else looks the same will it make huge difference?

Personally though, with a Trek and a Giant, I’ve always chosen from the smaller side of the range rather than larger.

Thanks. Did have a look at the size comparison and could only see those differences. Small margins but possibly big difference? Not sure! :?
tk72tk

Post by tk72tk »

Paulatic wrote:

Thanks. Did have a look at the size comparison and could only see those differences. Small margins but possibly big difference? Not sure! :?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Paulatic wrote:

That said the difference in reach is as you say 11mm,easily sorted by a shorter stem(70 or 80mm rather than the stock 90mm).
Cranks surprisingly are 175mm for both medium and large :? So no change there

Stand over height in that chart is garbled but the difference between medium 440mm and large 485mm seatube length is not a lot at 35mm,with BB height at 297mm for both sizes.So if the OP isn't short legged the large is a possibility IMHO.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden