Best Road Bike Insurance

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rohitmail90

Best Road Bike Insurance

Postby rohitmail90 » 6 Jun 2020, 9:53am

Hi all,

Looking to buy road bike insurance for my newly purchased Cube. Anybody have any recommendations?

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

Reddington

Re: Best Road Bike Insurance

Postby Reddington » 6 Jun 2020, 3:35pm

Marks and Spenser have started their cover again.
Bikes covered up to £15k each at no extra cost.I was paying an extra £70pa on mt previous insurance to have the bikes as named cover items.No need with M&S!

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 6 Jun 2020, 3:40pm

I use assetsure.com. They gave me a very reasonable quote for my Bianchi, as my household insurance wouldn’t cover it, without a massive hike in the premium.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 6 Jun 2020, 3:42pm

Bicy

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

PH

Postby PH » 6 Jun 2020, 3:43pm

I'm with the TSB, never had a cause to claim on a bike, but have had a household claim that was stress free. Premiums were the cheapest I could find and I like that the policy is based on the most expensive and the rest in the household are covered. I think there is a top limit per bike, £3,000? so not for everyone.
I've just worked out that the cover, should someone break in a steal all my bikes, is equivalent to 92 years of premiums.

Nigel

Postby Nigel » 7 Jun 2020, 10:52am

rohitmail90 wrote:Hi all,

Looking to buy road bike insurance for my newly purchased Cube. Anybody have any recommendations?

Try your house insurance policy provider, and see what options exist. I've found them cheaper than stand-alone policies. But, what they'll cover will depend on insurer, where you live, etc.. etc.. Mine covers named bikes with named values to any value, or un-listed bikes to £1000.

In some areas the price of a policy to protect the bike from loss is so high that it gets really questionable. If the insurance is 1/4 of the price of the bike (I've seen that on some policies), then it may be much cheaper to "self insure" by putting a sum aside each month to cover its replacement.

Watch out for any "locking" rules, and ensure you comply with them. For example, named types/specification of locks, or requirement to be always locked to an immovable object, which may include locking at home.
And, if using a shed or free standing garage, check that cover extends to storing in that building. Sheds and free standing garages often have quite low maximum insured contents values. Integral or attached garages often get better cover limits.

- Nigel

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 7 Jun 2020, 12:42pm

PH wrote:I'm with the TSB, never had a cause to claim on a bike, but have had a household claim that was stress free. Premiums were the cheapest I could find and I like that the policy is based on the most expensive and the rest in the household are covered. I think there is a top limit per bike, £3,000? so not for everyone.
I've just worked out that the cover, should someone break in a steal all my bikes, is equivalent to 92 years of premiums.

I have the TSB policy, very good cover and you can have just this section if you wish ("Pick and Protect"). Last time I renewed the max value was £3,000, but this covers all your bikes i.e. you just pop in the value of your most expensive bike, and the rest are covered up to that limit (individually) as well. Worth a look and a scan of the policy document to gain clarity.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !