Honking on turbo, does it accelerate fitness?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jawaka

Honking on turbo, does it accelerate fitness?

Post by jawaka »

For the first time I've been using Cyclego and it's structured work outs and it has sections for honking.

This was awful at first but after 21 sessions of 25 mins in last 4 weeks it certainly feels like a quantum leap in getting stronger At first I was unable to do it for long long as I struggled to do half a a minute , I can now do a minute plus in a higher gear, in fact I'm amazed at how quickly it seems to have inmproved.

Shame it hasn't got smart technology to evaluate progress, but the legs tell me things have got so much better.

I'm non competitive and touring so don't need to honk, but I wonder if it is a fast route to strength and endurance?
thornie1543

Re: Honking on turbo, does it accelerate fitness?

Post by thornie1543 »

To much honking for me just increased blisters.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Genuine question:

Does it use different muscle/tendon/etc combinations that could adversely affect your normal cycling?
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

I reckon getting better at honking increases your fitness for.....well.....honking.If,as you say,you rarely get out the saddle then your efforts may be a waste of time.I remember a thread regarding someone who trained with weights all winter(never having done so) and saw no difference in speed,though,interestingly,his stamina improved;maybe yours will.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Conventional wisdom says small gear and spin = lose weight, big gear and push hard = build muscle. Fitness should follow either way.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Methinks it might be best to see how it fits into your training plan and what you wish to achieve rather than just bung it in at random. Especially as you are not sure what it will achieve and what you wish to achieve.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Potentially gives you a different option, giving some variety on a long climb.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.