French Campsites are open?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
roubaixtuesday

French Campsites are open?

Postby roubaixtuesday » 12 Jun 2020, 9:27pm

Just got an email from campsite asking for final payment for our holiday late July.

Wondering whether to cough up, went to look at their website - they've opened this week!

No idea how widespread this is, but looks much more likely we'll get a holiday, which I'd almost written off.

Will probably pay now, and cross my fingers - holiday insurance doesn't cover being unable to travel due to COVID.

francovendee

Re: French Campsites are open?

Postby francovendee » 13 Jun 2020, 8:13am

roubaixtuesday wrote:Just got an email from campsite asking for final payment for our holiday late July.

Wondering whether to cough up, went to look at their website - they've opened this week!

No idea how widespread this is, but looks much more likely we'll get a holiday, which I'd almost written off.

Will probably pay now, and cross my fingers - holiday insurance doesn't cover being unable to travel due to COVID.

My daughter has just cancelled hers.
Campsites are open already but she was worried that after her holiday the quarantine would cause problems with work.
I think that there will be many Brits like her. Visitors from Germany, Belgium and holland may increase as at the moment there aren't any restrictions on travel.
I think the large campsites will be restricting use of the pools etc. but small touring sites are likely to run as usual.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 13 Jun 2020, 9:50am

Think I would assume travel from UK will be subject to regulations and assume not being able to go. Plus you may have to factor in quarantine on return... fine if you're retired, maybe not so if you have to work.. My partner's works have told the work force if they do go abroad they will be quarantined without pay on return....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 13 Jun 2020, 10:59am

eileithyia wrote:Think I would assume travel from UK will be subject to regulations and assume not being able to go. Plus you may have to factor in quarantine on return... fine if you're retired, maybe not so if you have to work.. My partner's works have told the work force if they do go abroad they will be quarantined without pay on return....

On the quarantine point - whether or not France currently has a quarantine rule for people visiting from other countries today, it might have by the time your holiday comes around. Likewise if a second wave of infection sweeps the world, you'd be in the same position as you were just before lockdown or, if you'd already travelled, be in a position where you would need to be repatriated.

This would apply irrespective of you mode of transport to/from france i.e. Air, Sea or Eurotunnel.

Additionally if France decided to have, say, regional lockdowns and you just happened to be trying to travel across the line between 2 regions, you might find this to be a problem.

I doubt the quarantine debate is a UK-only debate. I'd stick to travelling in the UK if I were you, but even here if the government relents and allows regional variations in levels of lockdown beyond the current Wales/Scotland/N.I you might find yourself in difficulties. For example if Yorkshire introduced a lockdown and Derbyshire didn't, then if you lived in Derbyshire and were on your way back home from, say Harrogate you might have a few problems.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 13 Jun 2020, 11:56am

Go for it. If things carry on as they are going then you will be OK. If it all goes wrong then obviously you I'll lose out but I think it's worth taking the risk. There's only one summer this year.

Lots of doom and gloom here, I think it's being overblown at the moment. By all means take care, but if it was me, I wouldn't have a self imposed lockdown. The Govt have done a great job of necessarily frightening the willies out of us. Now they are struggling to reassure us that we can go out.

1982john

Postby 1982john » 13 Jun 2020, 12:14pm

Looking at the noise coming from conservative circles on the quarantine I can't see how it's going to last for a few weeks and will be over by August.

RobinS

Postby RobinS » 14 Jun 2020, 11:55am

At present campsites and bars restaurants in France are open.
The borders "should" be open to visitors from the UK from 15th June.

downsides:
Official FCO advice is not to travel abroad unless essential, so travel insurance may not be valid - I would expect this advice to be updated fairly soon.
14 day quarantine on return to the UK - again it is generally expected that this will be lifted by July.

roubaixtuesday

Postby roubaixtuesday » 14 Jun 2020, 4:45pm

eileithyia wrote:Think I would assume travel from UK will be subject to regulations and assume not being able to go. Plus you may have to factor in quarantine on return... fine if you're retired, maybe not so if you have to work.. My partner's works have told the work force if they do go abroad they will be quarantined without pay on return....

I think quarantine will be over by then, and to be honest, even if it isn't, I would happily do that for the sake of a proper holiday. I've been working from home since before lockdown (my company being far more sensible than UK govt), so it would make little difference to me.

The only question is if advice not to travel will be still in place, I think.

eileithyia

Postby eileithyia » 14 Jun 2020, 6:38pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:

I think quarantine will be over by then, and to be honest, even if it isn't, I would happily do that for the sake of a proper holiday. I've been working from home since before lockdown (my company being far more sensible than UK govt), so it would make little difference to me.

The only question is if advice not to travel will be still in place, I think.

Lets hope you are right.

I hope far more staff / companies realise that working from home is a real option....might cut some of the problems we have on our roads :D

Partner works at a big food factory so sadly home working isn't an option.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells

De Sisti

Postby De Sisti » 14 Jun 2020, 8:15pm

simonhill wrote:Go for it. If things carry on as they are going then you will be OK. If it all goes wrong then obviously you I'll lose out but I think it's worth taking the risk. There's only one summer this year.

Yes, but there's a summer every year and it's easy to gamble with someone else's money. :roll:

FCO guidelines states that overseas travel is not allowed. If the OP went abroad and had an incident/accident where they had to claim on their holiday insurance, it definately would not pay out. :!:

robing

Postby robing » 14 Jun 2020, 8:47pm

You'll still be covered for medical treatment on your EHIC card.

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 14 Jun 2020, 9:42pm

EHIC doesn"t mean "you are covered"; it means that you get what the locals get. Some places, that still leaves enough cost that they get private insurance to cover it.

And that's always assuming that EHIC is still valid in this sort of post-brexit world.

robing

Postby robing » 14 Jun 2020, 10:16pm

EHIC is valid until the end of 2020, what happens after that depends on whether there is any deal or not.

hamster

Postby hamster » 15 Jun 2020, 4:37pm

Current rules in France (if I read them right) are that you have to quarantine on arrival in France for 2 weeks (And of course on return to the UK).

mjr

Postby mjr » 15 Jun 2020, 5:11pm

hamster wrote:Current rules in France (if I read them right) are that you have to quarantine on arrival in France for 2 weeks (And of course on return to the UK).

That's how I read https://www.france.fr/fr/avant-de-parti ... -en-france too. They're doing it in reply to the UK requiring visitors from France to quarantine for 2 weeks.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.