Fitting wider tyres

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DocsCannon

Fitting wider tyres

Post by DocsCannon »

Hi all I need a bit of advice as I am struggling on many country lanes due to sand/gravel patches & pot holes/lumpy tarmac probably caused by lanes being washed out and then a long spell of fine weather.

Im on Shwalbe Lugano 700x25 fitted onto Stans No Tubes ZTR Alpha 400 Disc wheel set. Wanting to know which tyre would be best for riding the odd canal towpath etc. A bit wider with a bit of tread, good rolling, comfy & puncture resistant (ish) .

what are the playoffs for tubeless as an example.

yes I'm an old boy trying to get fit but a complete novice.

Many thanks
Wipperman_95

Re: Fitting wider tyres

Post by Wipperman_95 »

To be honest, you're spoilt for choice, there is so much choice out there. As you already have Schwalbe, you could try the G-One series. Then there are the various Panaracer GravelKings; either the file treads or the SK with the small knobs which roll pretty well. I've also got some Vittoria Terreno tyres, which I'm running tubeless; currently running the Dry on my Trek Crockett, but also have the Mix version on another set of wheels for when it's wetter.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/gravel

https://www.panaracer.com/lineup/gravel.html

https://www.vittoria.com/eu/tires/off-r ... ravel.html

And I've left loads of other decent tyres out.....
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced
Raleigh Record Sprint 1990
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
It'll mainly depend on your bike frame and whether you use mudguards because these will both limit tyre width (and height by default)
Tubeless will generally allow a lower air pressure to be used for comfort than an inner tube will and is easier if you puncture rather than preventing punctures. The lower air pressure is dependent on a higher tyre volume, back to size limits again.
Unless you're in mud then tyre tread probably won't help much on a tow path and won't help on a road.
My favourite year-round tyre is the Conti GP 4-seasons and is available up to 32mm wide, but we really need to know a bit more
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I've just moved from Schwalbe Durano, at a nominal 28mm width, to a beefier slick - the Vredestein S-Lick (no longer made, unfortunately...) at a nominal 33mm, due to the very circumstances the OP describes. I can report that I feel much more secure.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
DocsCannon

Post by DocsCannon »

Thanks guys some food for thought there, much appreciated.

MY bike is a Cannondale Synapse AL105 Disc (2014) so its set up for mudguards but not used.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

wider tyres also means taller tyres?
oomilegs

Post by oomilegs »

DocsCannon wrote:Thanks guys some food for thought there, much appreciated.

MY bike is a Cannondale Synapse AL105 Disc (2014) so its set up for mudguards but not used.

I have a synapse and run 28's. There's 3mm of gap between the tyre and the frame (each side) down by the bottom bracket.

HTH
Paul G