Rude Co-op shop staff

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
arnsider

Rude Co-op shop staff

Postby arnsider » 13 Jun 2020, 7:30pm

I live in Carnforth.
Today, aroung lunch time, I drive over to Ingleton to collect my E bike from the shop where I'd had as service done.
Instead of coming straight back here, I decided to do a round on Ingleborouigh via Clapham, Lawkland and Settle and to get a sandwich on my way.
I stopped in the market square in Settle and went into the Co-op.
There was a sign outside just asking people to observe one in, one out, so I waited until I could see the shop was not too busy,
I walked around looking for a picnic lunch. I got as far as the last aisle before the check out and asked a guy stacking shelves if they had any baked crisps. He gave me an abrupt no, so I asked where the small bags were and was directed to the first aisle that I had passed.
No problems just yet!
I walked back, got what I wanted and rejoined the check out aisle. Out of sheer courtesy and in a friendly manner, I showed this guy the bag so he would know if anyone else wanted them.
He ignored my information and said something like " So yoiu are out on your dailly ride are you? to which I replied "Yes" thinking he might just want a brief chat.
Then he launched into an officioius diatribe, berating me coming into the shop, citing some restriction that may or may not be in force.
I just ignored this person nodded and moved forward to the check out.
If the Co-op don't welcome cyclists through their doors for what ever reason, then they should have the courtesy to put a notice to this effect on their door.
If a cyclist gets past the threshold, then at least, the Co-op should point out the infringemrent politely, not in a rude and overbearing manner.
I am frankly disgusted with them and will take a view on ever going into another of their shops.

Steve

Re: Rude Co-op shop staff

Postby Steve » 13 Jun 2020, 7:37pm

Staff in my local Co-op are great. You've just been unlucky. Not many people are plonkers, but a few are, and unless you never leave the house you are bound to encounter one every now and again.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 13 Jun 2020, 7:45pm

Staff in my local Co-op are great. You've just been unlucky.
I reckon that's the explanation. My corner shop is a Co-Op. The staff are lovely and chatty and have been super over the lockdown. You just got the wrong guy on the wrong day... don't let it spoil your sarnie ;-) - or your ride. Life's too short etc.etc.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 13 Jun 2020, 8:01pm

I don't think it's a cyclist thing,more a grumpy staff issue.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

mjr

Postby mjr » 13 Jun 2020, 8:12pm

arnsider wrote:Then he launched into an officioius diatribe, berating me coming into the shop, citing some restriction that may or may not be in force.

Can you explain more, please? I'm a member of that co-op (the national light blue one) and would like to pass the feedback on.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

pwa

Postby pwa » 13 Jun 2020, 8:21pm

reohn2 wrote:I don't think it's a cyclist thing,more a grumpy staff issue.

Exactly. If you think he was rude enough to merit it, make a complaint in writing and he will get spoken to. My nearest Co-op usually has one or more bikes outside, no problems.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 13 Jun 2020, 8:25pm

The co-op at Llanfairfechan plays loud music to deter guests from spending time in the store
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

arnsider

Postby arnsider » 13 Jun 2020, 8:59pm

Don't worry mjr, I've already passed my disspleasure onto the complaints page of the Blue Co=op.
To be honest, I didn't really listen to what the guy was saying other than to hear something about cyclists and convenience stores.
I have a mate living in Settle and he reckons the locals are up in arms about incomers using the shops, so I may have been the object of someones private adgenda, or have I missed something in the official restrictions?
I'm seventy this year and have used that co-op at holiday times and weekends for a very long time, at least since the seventies and it's right that for the most part, service has been fine, but I'm not going to take prejudice and rudeness on the chin. If others are happy to, then that's their right.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 13 Jun 2020, 9:28pm

He was citing a restriction? What on earth was it?

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 13 Jun 2020, 9:43pm

I was recently in my local Sainsbury’s Local, in full Lycra. Nobody batted an eyelid.

With cafes being closed, where are we supposed to get our food and drink whilst out on a ride? Surely, your mode of transport or even your attire is of no relevance.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

rualexander

Postby rualexander » 13 Jun 2020, 9:50pm

Perhaps he was referring to the early stages of lockdown when stopping off at a rural shop whilst on a bike ride was not 'allowed' under the rules. Maybe he didn't know the rules have been relaxed to allow that, if they have?

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 13 Jun 2020, 9:53pm

arnsider wrote:I live in Carnforth.
Today, aroung lunch time, I drive over to Ingleton to collect my E bike from the shop where I'd had as service done.
Instead of coming straight back here, I decided to do a round on Ingleborouigh via Clapham, Lawkland and Settle and to get a sandwich on my way.
I stopped in the market square in Settle and went into the Co-op.
There was a sign outside just asking people to observe one in, one out, so I waited until I could see the shop was not too busy,
I walked around looking for a picnic lunch. I got as far as the last aisle before the check out and asked a guy stacking shelves if they had any baked crisps. He gave me an abrupt no, so I asked where the small bags were and was directed to the first aisle that I had passed.
No problems just yet!
I walked back, got what I wanted and rejoined the check out aisle. Out of sheer courtesy and in a friendly manner, I showed this guy the bag so he would know if anyone else wanted them.
He ignored my information and said something like " So yoiu are out on your dailly ride are you? to which I replied "Yes" thinking he might just want a brief chat.
Then he launched into an officioius diatribe, berating me coming into the shop, citing some restriction that may or may not be in force.
I just ignored this person nodded and moved forward to the check out.
If the Co-op don't welcome cyclists through their doors for what ever reason, then they should have the courtesy to put a notice to this effect on their door.
If a cyclist gets past the threshold, then at least, the Co-op should point out the infringemrent politely, not in a rude and overbearing manner.
I am frankly disgusted with them and will take a view on ever going into another of their shops.

Like others here I have found the staff in my local Co-op to be friendly and helpful, I think that the brand has got itself more together in recent years. In this recent lockdown my local co-op has been outstanding and I’m grateful to the staff for being there despite the potential risks to their health.

Ingleton you say. H’mm, I’m not familiar with that area but isn’t it a rural beauty spot? If I lived there then I might be concerned about tourists coming in to the local shops and spreading infection. Who’s to say that that has not already happened or that the person you spoke to hasn’t lost friends and or family to the virus?

Should you be served politely? Absolutely, but on the other hand is it really OK for potentially infectious visitors to use shops as a convenience and put other people (including staff) unnecessarily at risk or unnecessarily concerned for their health? Would it have been too hard to take a flask and some sandwiches with you instead?

The staff member knows nothing about you or where you are from so might well fear the worst (that you are a carrier). Personally I think that there’s a strong case for asking and expecting cyclists and other tourists to stay away from the locals and to keep their potential bugs to themselves. Carnforth, that’s a nice place too isn’t it? If I lived there I wouldn’t be best pleased about visitors flocking in and bringing the plague with them ... as a resident how might you feel about it?

richardfm

Postby richardfm » 13 Jun 2020, 9:59pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:The co-op at Llanfairfechan plays loud music to deter guests from spending time in the store

Surely you mean "customers" not "guests"?

richardfm

Postby richardfm » 13 Jun 2020, 10:01pm

A bit of a melodramatic overreaction to one rude person.

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 13 Jun 2020, 10:02pm

Our co-op staff are fine and I’ve no complaints ...but
Settle is a bit like Moffat ie a small town and everyone knows everyone at least by sight. During these worrying times, for some people, I’ve noticed visitors if they venture into shops get short shrift. Every stranger is seen as a threat at the moment and I suspect it’s going to take a while to shift that feeling.
Last week I heard, on good authority, of a motorcyclist who went into a shop in Ballater to buy a sandwich. At the counter he was asked where he’d come from? His reply was from somewhere which was 65 mls away. The shopkeeper took the sandwiches away from the guy and told him he wasn’t getting served in his shop and to get away back to where he came from.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/