Rude Co-op shop staff

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
arnsider

Re: Rude Co-op shop staff

Postby arnsider » 15 Jun 2020, 6:26am

Good Sporting spat this!!
My post concerned an issue both of rudeness and an implied policy by a national chain.
I was identified as a cyclist by my helmet and attire, so I'd made no attempt at subterfuge in covering up my mode of transport and my West Country accent gave away the fact I was not local by birth.
I admit I had not kept up minute by tedious minute, the diktat of this current regime, or the wild variations and personal agendas used by shops and supermarket employees in so called rural beauty spots. I was unsure of my legitimacy as a shopper. I make no excuses for this, but maintain my right to fair and polite treatment.
I repeat that I bring this tale here to inform other cyclists of what they might also incur out and about and I take it, this is the object of the forum.
I can assure the more dismissive contributors here that I am impervious to your nit picking criticisms and I am confident the more fair minded of you will understand my intentions.
Just as an aside, Co-op have quite a few outlets on the A65 Keighley/Kendal road, indeed they have a large service station not a quarter of a mile from Settle Market Square and similarly another two outlets just up the road at Ingleton.
Their shelves are crammed full of fast food items aimed at travellers and passers-by. They haven’t taken all this stuff down in order to concentrate on their small number of local shoppers have they?
Co-op might be mindful of the attraction of all this to unwelcome visitors, but double standards and the vital issue of shareholder profits push aside any such notion.
Settle on Saturday was heaving with motorcyclists, certainly not indulging in “Essential travel”, though we are on fragile ground pointing the finger.
As Lock Down eases, we are seeing a glaring example of double standards and of course it’s open season for the virtue signalling zealots ready to jump on anyone not towing the line. (Is it two meters or one meter? I’ll have to pack a tape measure)
Pathetic!

pwa

Postby pwa » 15 Jun 2020, 6:38am

The shop employee is meant to be polite and helpful, and failed in that. But I would probably overlook it if it were me. It sounds like someone who is stressed. Perhaps they are stressed through having to spend six or seven hours each working day in a risky environment that most of us have to endure for thirty minutes a week. Or perhaps they feel that their risky environment is being made even more risky by people popping in for a takeaway lunch, rather than people doing their necessary once a week shop. Settle may have a lot of that sort of visitor trade. Whatever, it is clearly someone feeling the strain and even though they are probably wrong in some of what they are thinking, I'd let it go. They are probably not at their best.

oldun

Postby oldun » 15 Jun 2020, 7:12am

tatanab wrote:I was at work stacking the shelves in Co-op. It was not a good day. things were going poorly. I had dropped some pasta sauce out in the store room and had to clear up the mess. Anyway, I was stacking the shelves when this bloke came up and asked me where he could find some special crisps. I don't know, or rather my brain is not coping well. He came back a few minutes a later and said "here they are , I found them on aisle 3". Straw- camel's back, I am afraid I was not polite.

Just another perspective :P

Yes , my thought exactly ...... " you work here and didnt know where they were , i dont and i found them so why dont you know as much as me ?"

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 15 Jun 2020, 7:58am

Move to Essex.

My local Aldi are always very friendly even when I'm in my cycling gear (albeit not full lycra nor helmet). The person who controls entry alway has a hello and welcome, etc. The check out person chats and is friendly. I make the point a thanking them. Last time, I was looking on a lower shelf for something and an employee asked what I was looking for. He then pointed out it was on on the upper shelf. Spontaneous polite help.

Move to Essex away from the unfriendly pitchfork waving NW.

Peter F

Postby Peter F » 15 Jun 2020, 8:19am

mjr wrote:
Peter F wrote:
mjr wrote:Who stated that? Certainly not in the rules at any point.

We were initially allowed to take one period of exercise a day.

Sorry, I didn't realise you're in Wales. Settle isn't.

Aside for essential trips to buy food, medicine etc were were supposed to stay indoors. Stopping on a ride to get a snack maybe might not have been explicitly banned but it was certainly implied. Stopping for a refreshment hardly constitutes an essential outing.

Do you think they'd really rather someone bonked?

Ultimately, exercise was allowed and food shopping was allowed. We can argue until the cows come home about what was implied, but I doubt the intention was the most restrictive interpretation, given what ministers and their advisers did!

I did read it on a cycling British Cycling post on FB so perhaps not an official government statement.

Well, BC have been gold plating the rules so much that they've banned their clubs doing even permitted group rides for an extra month, so I'd not take too much heed of their view.

Why do I think this is going to turn into you arguing that black is actually white... :lol:

One form of exercise per day.
Shopping trips should be minimised.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52012432

The government were criticised for not being prescriptive enough and to be honest given how you are interpreting the rules I can see why.
Oh and people were up in arms about Cummings because he did break the rule, then lied about it.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 15 Jun 2020, 8:22am

One grumpy assistant does not make a bad entire movement.

Retail staff have been exposed day after day to people with viruses. Earlier on they had to cope with people fighting in the aisles over toilet paper and pasta.

I would say give them a break.

And we do know that in England it is 2 metres. Always was and hasn't yet changed.
John

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 15 Jun 2020, 8:23am

That BBC article was from 24 March.

Yesterday Boris was walking around a shopping centre exhorting us all to get out and shop. Things have moved on.

mjr

Postby mjr » 15 Jun 2020, 8:27am

Peter F wrote:One form of exercise per day.
Shopping trips should be minimised.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52012432

I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you but: Boris lied, or at least actively misled. Neither of those were in the first set of rules, which you can find at http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/made
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 Jun 2020, 8:35am

Arnsider
You've had bad/rude service from one Coop staff member who perhaps because he has to work in an environment where he feels stressed due to dealing with the public in light the virus and or maybe a previous customer to you being rude to him was less than optimum in his service to you.
Give the chap and the Coop a break they're doing their best in difficult circumstances,put it down to experience and let it go it's not the end of the world.
-----------------------------------------------------------

David9694

Postby David9694 » 15 Jun 2020, 8:35am

arnsider wrote:"The second but mainly the last two lines are where you went wrong with Mr Grumpy assistant.

Are you sure nothing else happened to start this - I’m always irritated by people who wonder aimlessly around our Co-op, pick things up, put them back, stand staring forever - and then to cap it all, forget their two meters"

Really! You're the sort of person George Orwell wrote about.
LOL
Let me know which Co-op is "Yours" and I promise I won't darken its doors, lest I get in your way or upset your ruddy agenda!

“Impervious?” Probably just as well. There was me thinking all northerners were all “aye up, chuck” friendly, etc.

The manager of my Co-op pops up on Facebook occasionally - there does seem to be some friction With customers at times. They’re very nice and I can’t say I’ve had any issues and I’m sure you wouldn’t either.

If you register no irritation, especially in the lock-down, with the behaviours described above, then maybe We’re part way to getting the whole truth here - increasingly, the story doesn’t add up.

Why, you’ve made my monocle steam up - Which George Orwell character, exactly?

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 15 Jun 2020, 8:49am

I'd guess that it's a reference to either Bookshop Memories or Keep the Aspidistra Flying.

Jonathan

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 15 Jun 2020, 8:50am

As the posts from the OP got stronger one has to wonder if they were determined to be offended. But, of course, I wasn't there.
John

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 15 Jun 2020, 9:19am

What if one lives in a small village with only one food store? Then one could not afford to be offended :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

mjr

Postby mjr » 15 Jun 2020, 9:37am

Cyril Haearn wrote:What if one lives in a small village with only one food store? Then one could not afford to be offended :?

Depends how far to the next village or town. Bicycles are good for bringing them closer. Just have to hope its shops are not staffed by locktivists enforcing made up rules from Boris's speeches.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 15 Jun 2020, 9:40am

Cyril Haearn wrote:What if one lives in a small village with only one food store? Then one could not afford to be offended :?

That would only apply to anyone without transport,as many people do have transport these days I say it'd pay any shop in such a position to be extra nice to it's customers,otherwise it may go out of business.
-----------------------------------------------------------