Rude Co-op shop staff

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
David9694

Re: Rude Co-op shop staff

Postby David9694 » 20 Jun 2020, 10:00am

Thanks for the video link. Oh dear. I hope Tiddles did eventually get some cat treats. He knows every word you say.

Compo - I dislike that slang/abbreviation, but is was a reference to one of the Last of the Summer Wine characters , filmed well somewhere around there.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics ... rade-talks

Local shop/ local people: I’m totally confused now, which is it we’re after: a “strong deal”, or no deal whatsoever? From a purely Express reader perspective, how is it that Boris is failing them? All he has to do now is nothing and they get what they want? (still want, after all we’ve been through?) From what demons is Nigel going to be our saviour? I would imagine the fate of this little country is now very low on the rest of Europe/ EU’s priority list. I’m bored of us now - aren’t they? My interest might be revived if Boris called an Are you sure? Y/N referendum this autumn - the world is a different place now, it seems reasonable to say.

I feel like a move to the Tea Shop might be coming - please, Mr Moderator, give us another chance to get back on topic. Have we beaten the helmet thread yet?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Jun 2020, 10:18am

I thought we were safe then you had to go and mention h*lm*ts :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

David9694

Postby David9694 » 20 Jun 2020, 10:20am

reohn2 wrote:I thought we were safe then you had to go and mention h*lm*ts :?

Safe! Ha!

Update: https://www.advertiserandtimes.co.uk/st ... stay-local

Now it all makes sense.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Jun 2020, 10:22am

But how local is local in a conveient transport world? :wink:
I cycle therefore I am.

David9694

Postby David9694 » 20 Jun 2020, 10:39am

reohn2 wrote:But how local is local in a conveient transport world? :wink:

In Shaftesbury, they’ve started a temporary pedestrianisation of the Main Street, to aid social distancing and one shop owner is squealing about it in the news today - she even suggests a multi-storey CP - in Shaftesbury: an historic hill top town! Over in Lymington, the talk of is of free off-Street parking (refused by the District Council) and a delay of new charges for on-Street, previously announced by the County Council. The signage and machines would be “clutter” apparently: Rows of parked cars, anyone? In Shaftesbury, the Gold Hill end is wide, but it narrows-off and drivers still speed through on a busy Saturday. Take a leaf out of Sherborne’s book, where you have a pleasant Main Street, pedestrianised during the day.

It can’t be easy in retail right now and you have to wonder what/who will survive this crisis. But in this era of “stay local”, it seems depressing and odd that shop owners, not least in small towns like these, still equate their success with free / easy car parking.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Jun 2020, 10:49am

David9694 wrote:
reohn2 wrote:But how local is local in a conveient transport world? :wink:

In Shaftesbury, they’ve started a temporary pedestrianisation of the Main Street, to aid social distancing and one shop owner is squealing about it in the news today - she even suggests a multi-storey CP - in Shaftesbury: an historic hill top town! Over in Lymington, the talk of is of free off-Street parking (refused by the District Council) and a delay of new charges for on-Street, previously announced by the County Council. The signage and machines would be “clutter” apparently: Rows of parked cars, anyone? In Shaftesbury, the Gold Hill end is wide, but it narrows-off and drivers still speed through on a busy Saturday. Take a leaf out of Sherborne’s book, where you have a pleasant Main Street, pedestrianised during the day.

It can’t be easy in retail right now and you have to wonder what/who will survive this crisis. But in this era of “stay local”, it seems depressing and odd that shop owners, not least in small towns like these, still equate their success with free / easy car parking.

One wonders if we'll ever learn that motors in town and city centres,but for a few needy exceptions,are a bind a danger and a large source of pollution.
There are videos on YouTube showing how the absence of motors in towns and cities actually increased footfall on the high streets and increased business as a result.
We seem to be so wedded to the car we just can't see it being any different.
I cycle therefore I am.

arnsider

Postby arnsider » 20 Jun 2020, 11:01am

Moved operations now, so you can carry on the nit picking over grammar, syntax and spelling with all your parenthesis, inverted commas and reported speech marks elsewhere.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 20 Jun 2020, 11:05am

arnsider wrote:Moved operations now, so you can carry on the nit picking over grammar, syntax and spelling with all your parenthesis, inverted commas and reported speech marks elsewhere.

?
I cycle therefore I am.

David9694

Postby David9694 » 20 Jun 2020, 11:34am

Has he left the forum? Gone to Singletrack or something?

No, come back, all is forgiven!

Cyril Haearn

Re: Rude Co-op shop staff BIG REFUND

Postby Cyril Haearn » 23 Jun 2020, 5:20pm

Hoping to resurrect this for more entertainment
Had some trouble with the exhaust of my Chrysler Avenger 1.6DL, had to go back several times, complained, called head office, demanded fifty quid and got it. The exhaust only cost about seventy, I think, it was about 30 years ago :wink:

I do try to always be friendly to servicepersons in shops, is that a good strategy, or not?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 23 Jun 2020, 10:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 23 Jun 2020, 5:37pm

Talking of which, I'm looking forward to watching Salisbury, the two-parter telling the story of the Novichok poisoning episode... (how very dare they!!) Now the reason I'm mentioning this is that one of my chums works, fairly steadily, as an SA (extra, darling - a supporting artiste...) and she's in it - a bit blurry by her own admission, but you're either in it or you're not, as they say!
Now, she lives on the river and when I go to visit, I'll often pop into the Co-Op just over the river from her & then dodge over the footbridge and along the walk to her house. (...stay with me folks - we're nearly there!)
So, the last time I went in to the Co-Op, I bought some snacks - Durritos, I think - and some white wine, and when I got to the till - d'you know what - I can't even remember if they were polite or not!
Mind you, this was i) before lockdown and ii) not up north.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 24 Jun 2020, 3:02pm

thirdcrank wrote: ... I get the impression that the Co-op is now suffering from the changes in food shopping during lockdown. The Co-op has just fully converted to the convenience store format and many customers have gone back to the big weekly shop. I usually have our Co-op almost to myself. ...

It seems I am wrong, but I still have our local Co-op largely to myself whenever I go. According to the Business section of today's Daily Telegraph, the Co-op's market share has climbed to 7.4% which is its highest since 2001.

al_yrpal

Postby al_yrpal » 24 Jun 2020, 3:24pm

Just around the corner we have a Coop convenience store which is quite small with a very limited collection of goods, its handy. But, about 2 miles away there is a new purpose built Coop which is about 3/4 of the size of an Aldi. I would be easily able to do a weekly shop in it. It has a bakery too. The Coop have really got their act together these days. Both have nice staff and the shops are a pleasure to use.

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 24 Jun 2020, 4:03pm

and she's in it - a bit blurry by her own admission, but you're either in it or you're not, as they say!
Spotted her... she's in the trailer.
Screenshot 2020-06-24 13.15.43.png
And she got paid for that!!
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 24 Jun 2020, 6:14pm

Fame at last! :D
I cycle therefore I am.