Rude Co-op shop staff

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bonefishblues

Re: Rude Co-op shop staff

Postby Bonefishblues » 5 Jul 2020, 9:44am

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:...... One might, at the most, disapprove of the abuse of music for commercial purposes

Indo some of the best tnes of my teapenager years have been nicked by souless marketeers and advertising morons,annutter disgrace!

Wasn't some of the greatest classical music 'written to order' via a system of patronage?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 5 Jul 2020, 9:52am

Bonefishblues wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:...... One might, at the most, disapprove of the abuse of music for commercial purposes

I do,some of the best tunes of my teenager years have been nicked by souless marketeers and advertising morons,an utter disgrace!

Wasn't some of the greatest classical music 'written to order' via a system of patronage?

I've no idea,generally I don't listen to classical music.

Someone's sure to come along now declaring a lot of pop music has been stolen from the classics.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 5 Jul 2020, 10:06am

Right again r2, 'roll over Beethoven' for example and Jeff Lynnes Electric Light Orchestra, they took over, abused and improved classical music, one of my favourite pop groups :wink:
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 5 Jul 2020, 10:22am

A lot of pop music is derived from Pachelbel's Canon - particularly the chord progressions, from Ralph McTell to Oasis. Also Bach's Jesu Joy of man's desiring.
John

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 5 Jul 2020, 10:29am

Cyril Haearn wrote:Right again r2, 'roll over Beethoven' for example and Jeff Lynnes Electric Light Orchestra, they took over, abused and improved classical music, one of my favourite pop groups :wink:

You're way of the mark and out of time,Roll over Beethoven is a Chuck Berry song from the '50's who was one of the founders of Rock n Roll which was born out of Jazz,of course traced back to classics,ELO just classicised it a bit with the Beethoven intro which Berry didn't.
FWIW I find classical music stuffy and stale,which are my own feelings of much of it,I do like some modern 'classical' stuff Karl Jenkins,Philip Glass,though Glass can go on a bit.
Classical singing is similaly boring to me though Maria Callas' voice I find incredible smoothing,as for the male classical voice generally it does nothing for me at all.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 24 Jul 2020, 7:08pm

The unspeakable in pursuit of the unbeatable

That used to be used to describe fox hunting, now it could refer to a trip to shopping heaven
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies