Cycling Mitt Recommendations

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Post by Mick F »

rmurphy195 wrote:I don't think that wearing a latex glove - or any other sort or that matter - to try on a glove will give the required result - the latex glove will stick like hell to the mitt that you are trying on!
I'm going to try it on my present mitts as I have a box of gloves ............. but I suspect you are correct.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just tried it.
No problems whatsoever, and in fact, the mitts just slid on easier than with an ungloved hand.
Mick F. Cornwall
pwa

Post by pwa »

Mick F wrote:Just tried it.
No problems whatsoever, and in fact, the mitts just slid on easier than with an ungloved hand.

Why not just put sanitiser on your hands, try gloves on as you would have done pre-Covid, then more sanitiser after you are done, with no touching your face in between?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Until I either get to Evans or phone to ask, I don't know what their policy is regarding clothing of any kind, let alone their mitts.

These look nice.
https://www.evanscycles.com/castelli-ar ... t-EV358838
Trouble is with me, is that I have big hands but not massive ones, and I seem to lie between Large and Extra-Large .......... hence why I want to try them on first.
Mick F. Cornwall
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Mick F wrote:Until I either get to Evans or phone to ask, I don't know what their policy is regarding clothing of any kind, let alone their mitts.

These look nice.
https://www.evanscycles.com/castelli-ar ... t-EV358838
Trouble is with me, is that I have big hands but not massive ones, and I seem to lie between Large and Extra-Large .......... hence why I want to try them on first.

At that price you don't want to get it wrong! Especially if, like me, one hand is slightly bigger than the other .. Good luck
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I rode into Plymouth yesterday and called in at Evans to look at their cycling mitts.
No restrictions in there regarding Covid, other than social distancing etc.

I spent a few minutes checking the mitts out and to be frank, I wasn't impressed at all.

Even ones costing thirty-odd quid felt cheap and nasty. Thin and flimsy and poorly made and any of their offerings wouldn't last the year. All were like that IMHO across all price points and makes ............. so I left without buying any and feeling a little crestfallen.

Woke up this morning with an idea.
Rapha! :shock:

Checked out their website, and yes, the prices are rather high. :wink:

However, the quality WILL be good, and considering a good quality pair of mitts will last years, the cost can be justified.
My present ones were good quality, and looking at the offerings in Evans probably typical of mitts these days ......... mine are over four years old or more, and although worn and "tired", they would probably see the rest of this year until I start wearing full-finger gloves as the winter comes.

So ................. I'm going to ask permission from SWMBO later, and suggest I buy these.
If not right, they do free returns.
£65 including £5 p+p Double the price I could have paid for mitts from Evans, but they could last four times as long.
https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/brevet- ... 04XXDNYLRG
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cripes.
A fair degree of **** in that promo i reckon.
Removed stitching to improve comfort!
My best ever pair were a pair of old fashioned stitched ones from spesh. Strong, never any discomfort, and when they eventually eventually failed i was so impressed i bought another spesh pair. No stitching - far weaker.
And how's this for total **** - removed stitching to save weight they say!
I fear anyone who buys those or believes that waffle has been truly stitched up.

It's not hard to buy decent gloves in various sales for less than a tenner.

Do please report back if you buy them mick.

All the best.
Sweep
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I have forgot things and ridden off and they have gone when i go back to check. My dappiest was resting my helmet on a post to watch a race then cycling off without it. only noticed when i got home.
As for sizing I we are blessed with a son isolating with us and he just ordered 5 pairs of cycling shoes and decides which one is best and returns the others and the same with all his clothes so maybe this is worth doing and no going to the shops. I need mitts myself and this is what I will be doing.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sweep wrote:Cripes.
A fair degree of **** in that promo i reckon.
Removed stitching to improve comfort!
My best ever pair were a pair of old fashioned stitched ones from spesh. Strong, never any discomfort, and when they eventually eventually failed i was so impressed i bought another spesh pair. No stitching - far weaker.
And how's this for total **** - removed stitching to save weight they say!
I fear anyone who buys those or believes that waffle has been truly stitched up.

It's not hard to buy decent gloves in various sales for less than a tenner.

Do please report back if you buy them mick.

All the best.
Yes, a fair degree of waffle, I agree.
I was very very disappointed with the stuff in Evans. Altura, Gore, Castelli, and others. Cheap and nasty even at £30odd. Poor padding, thin palms with some of them even plastic palms.

They had some of the crochet-backed mitts. I had those years ago, but theirs were cheap and poorly made and wouldn't last out this summer (what there is left of it!)

Been chatting to Mr Mick F, and she reckons I should go for it. Nothing to lose other than the fiver postage as they do free returns. If I'm between sizes - dunno yet as I've not measured - I could buy both sizes and return one (or both) for a full refund.

Unless someone suggests GOOD quality of any make, with GOOD padding too in the next day or so, I'm going to buy the Rapha ones.
Mick F. Cornwall
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Well, I've been using my £10 specials for a few weeks now, and they feel good so far. Still a bit tight around the right thumb (right hand is bigger than the left) but they are comfy enough.

They don't half show up on these dull evenings though (fluo yellow backs).

I could have a new pair every year for the next 5 or 6 years for £60!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

rmurphy195 wrote:I could have a new pair every year for the next 5 or 6 years for £60!
There is that, I suppose.

I've been spoiled by mine and couldn't see the value of a thin weak mitt. Not saying yours is thin and weak, but I like a nice tough and padded mitt. The ones in Evans were anything but. Mine are over four years old now and are tired and baggy, so need to be retired.

I had two pairs of mitts from Lidl, and they lasted about a month each, so I dug my old tired and baggy ones back out, and they still knocked spots of the Lidl ones.
Mick F. Cornwall
JakobW

Post by JakobW »

I have some Rapha mitts (bought in the sale dirt cheap), which are classic-looking crochet-backed leather, as well as a pair of their merino full-finger gloves. Both are very pretty, but I'm not sure they're any better comfort-wise than my £15 decathlon mitts. Looking online I think I had a previous season's version of these: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rr-900-cycl ... 28199.html (looks like they only have the blue in stock). I found they ran small, so I went for XL (I'm normally L).
borisface

Post by borisface »

+1 for decathlon mitts, and for some of their cycle clothing more generally. I've had a pair of these for a couple of years and they are fine. In yellow too, which is what you asked for

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc-500-cycl ... 28189.html
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys! :D
The RR900 mitts look good and very reasonably priced.
The blue is only available in XL ............................. I don't want Boring Black in anything at all.
The RC500 don't have enough padding for my liking.

Food for thought though.
Mick F. Cornwall
slowster

Post by slowster »

The mitts with leather palms from Galibier might fit your requirements.

https://galibier.cc/gloves-and-mitts/