Page 4 of 4

Re: Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Posted: 24 Jul 2020, 4:34pm
by Mick F
The crochet backs were natural fibre (cotton?) and adsorbent.
The backs of these are perforated goatskin.
I'm sure they'll mop up a fevered brow though, but not as well.

As for sleeping in them, had I been riding for a several hours, I could be too tired to get them off! :D

Re: Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Posted: 25 Jul 2020, 8:10pm
by nez
rmurphy195 wrote:Wel,it had to happen didn't it - took my mitts off and left them on the pannier rack while taking a scottish small stop, hopped on the bike, then a few miles later - doh, I'd forgotten them! (A nice comy pair of Boardman cycling mitts)

Now I have a theory that if the mitts had been yellow instead of black, I would have been less likely to ride off not noticing they were still on the rack (I'm entitled to simply forget stuff at my age I think).

Anyone know of cycling mitts with yellow backs?

Thanks - R

PS - good quality, gel padding - I've seen some Pearl Izumi ones on t-internet but its difficult these days to see things "live" so to speak, so any recommendations before I stand in shop queues would be most welcome. Oh, and I don't want to spend more than 20 quid in case I lose them again!

You could sew or get sewn elastic on them, then thread them through your sleeves. Foolproof. :)

Re: Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Posted: 30 Aug 2020, 2:38pm
by Mick F
Sort of update.
175miles done wearing these mitts including 30miles today.

My rides have been less frequent these last couple of months as I've been otherwise employed, but away up onto Dartmoor and back today.

The mitts are wearing in and easy to get on and less difficult to get off though a bit stiff.
The mitts now have a patina from the lever hoods, especially the RH one. Stronger on the right, so the left gets moved about more and is more relaxed too.
IMG_0087.jpg

Re: Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Posted: 30 Aug 2020, 2:44pm
by Sweep
Thought of you Mick the other day during the recent hot weather, sweating from a sweatband and wiping my brow every now and again with the edge of my mitts.

How are you getting on with the apparent lack of a brow wiping module on those gloves?

Re: Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Posted: 30 Aug 2020, 2:49pm
by Mick F
Not an issue for the brow, but the wind is from the north and chilly now, so my nose runs a tad!
The thumb bits seem to work ok but a bit scratchy.
Not sure about how to clean them generally, but they do air out ok after getting home.

Only 175miles done, and I'm not sure how they're going to be after 1,750miles. It'll be spring 2021 by then at the rate I'm getting out riding.

Re: Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Posted: 30 Aug 2020, 4:54pm
by JakobW
Mick F wrote:Not sure about how to clean them generally, but they do air out ok after getting home.


Advice I've been given in the past wrt leather gloves is to wash them with mild hand soap whilst wearing them, then remove and let dry away from direct heat. Apply leather balm once dry.

Re: Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Posted: 30 Aug 2020, 6:12pm
by Mick F
JakobW wrote:
Mick F wrote:Not sure about how to clean them generally, but they do air out ok after getting home.


Advice I've been given in the past wrt leather gloves is to wash them with mild hand soap whilst wearing them, then remove and let dry away from direct heat. Apply leather balm once dry.
Good info.

I wonder if Brooks proofide would be ok?
https://www.brooksengland.com/en_uk/proofide.html
I have a tin of it already.

Re: Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Posted: 30 Aug 2020, 11:52pm
by Richard D
I fully intend to try these Galibier mitts when my current mitts wear out and run out. Unfortunately I use Specialized BG 74 S Works mitts - I say "unfortunately", because I bought 5 pairs when they were being discontinued a few years back (cheaper than a decent cloth mitt would have been). And they last. I’ve probably cycled about 10-12,000 miles in them, and I’ve managed to wear out just the first pair (although I killed the second pair a couple of weeks ago by foolishly washing them in the washing machine Whoops. Now they’re a size too small. They should have been washed while wearing them with a very mild soap. But circa 6,000 miles in them meant that they were starting to honk something awful). So at the current rate of progress, I should need new gloves in about another 15-20,000 miles.

Of course, I tend to wear something a bit warmer in winter, and something even cheaper for commuting (leather "weight lifting" gloves. Under a fiver from eBay). The main problem I have is lightweight hot weather gloves; I love the Pearl Izumi unpadded pittard leather mitts, but I’ve destroyed two pairs in crashes (rather the gloves than the palms of my hands), I’m on my third pair - and almost certainly the last pair, as I just cannot find them in stock anywhere.

Why choose the Regale over the Campionissimo, by the way?

Re: Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Posted: 31 Aug 2020, 9:06am
by Mick F
Richard D wrote:Why choose the Regale over the Campionissimo, by the way?
I preferred the look and the un-fussyness of the Ragale, plus they looked stronger both palm and back.

Other than that, I just took a punt.

The only issue I have with these mitts is the difficulty of taking them off, though they go on more easily.
After my ride up onto Dartmoor and back yesterday, I called in at our local pub for a couple of beers before heading for home. Usually, entering an establishment, I would remove my mitts, but now, it's not worth the effort, so I drank my two pints with them on.

Re: Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Posted: 31 Aug 2020, 12:21pm
by Sweep
Mick F wrote:Usually, entering an establishment, I would remove my mitts, but now, it's not worth the effort, so I drank my two pints with them on.

:)

I assume you won't be tempted by their leather shorts and bibs then?

Re: Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Posted: 31 Aug 2020, 3:47pm
by Mick F
:lol: :lol:
I'd have to be Bavarian wearing lederhosen.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Cycling Mitt Recommendations

Posted: 31 Aug 2020, 8:50pm
by rmurphy195
nez wrote:
rmurphy195 wrote:Wel,it had to happen didn't it - took my mitts off and left them on the pannier rack while taking a scottish small stop, hopped on the bike, then a few miles later - doh, I'd forgotten them! (A nice comy pair of Boardman cycling mitts)

Now I have a theory that if the mitts had been yellow instead of black, I would have been less likely to ride off not noticing they were still on the rack (I'm entitled to simply forget stuff at my age I think).

Anyone know of cycling mitts with yellow backs?

Thanks - R

PS - good quality, gel padding - I've seen some Pearl Izumi ones on t-internet but its difficult these days to see things "live" so to speak, so any recommendations before I stand in shop queues would be most welcome. Oh, and I don't want to spend more than 20 quid in case I lose them again!

You could sew or get sewn elastic on them, then thread them through your sleeves. Foolproof. :)


Nah-short sleeved shirts!