Stability issues – how to adjust

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
revirescot

Stability issues – how to adjust

Post by revirescot »

Hi,

I've just purchased a new bike – Triban RC520 – and I'm having a few stability issues.

I was between sizes due to short legs and long torso and ended up going with a medium. I think that has to be right as standover height would have been tricky otherwise.

I like the bike so far, but I do find myself feeling quite unstable on it, especially when turning. Is there anything I can adjust to address this? I'm thinking in terms of stem length, handle bar width and height, moving seat fore/aft etc?

I'm new to road bikes so partially I'm sure it's adjusting to a new riding position, but I think it's also to do with the mechanics of the bike vs my body shape/weight distribution.

Cheers,

P
Brucey

Re: Stability issues – how to adjust

Post by Brucey »

revirescot wrote: Triban RC520....

I was between sizes due to short legs and long torso and ended up going with a medium. I think that has to be right as standover height would have been tricky otherwise.

I like the bike so far, but I do find myself feeling quite unstable on it, especially when turning. Is there anything I can adjust to address this? I'm thinking in terms of stem length, handle bar width and height, moving seat fore/aft etc?

I'm new to road bikes so partially I'm sure it's adjusting to a new riding position, but I think it's also to do with the mechanics of the bike vs my body shape/weight distribution.

photos of you on the bike would make your riding position a bit clearer.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

If you have the medium size here...https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-rc-520-disc-road-bike-navy-105-id_8554421.html then it has quite reasonable steering geometry, assuming a 45mm fork offset. (and assuming its the right model)
The large and extra large have 73 deg. head angle, which would make them too twitchy for my liking.
What bike did you last ride, and how long ago?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

As brucey says, photos please, preferably side-on and pedalling.

It's new so you need to check that the front end has been assembled correctly.

Where are you putting your hands on the bars? If you're new to dropped bars I suggest riding on the brake hoods until this is sorted.

Jonathan
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I think this could just be getting used to the different position on the new bike. I’m often a bit wobbly going from my road bike to my Brompton, or going from my winter bike to the summer bike, but usually only for a few miles. As a beginner road biker, it may take you longer to get used to it.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

It could possibly be that your approaching corners too slowly and because your riding to slowly your wobbling.

When riding faster the wheels have greater gyroscopic inertia and therefore less likely to wobble.

I know it's counter intuitive but riding a little bit faster is actually easier.

Cheers James
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

From what you’re describing there, it sounds like you’re not used to moving / shifting your position dynamically. To cut a long story short, you’re possibly moving about, when you need to be stationary, and vice versa. Practice makes perfect, the more you ride, the more you’ll work out what’s best for you. I doubt it’s down to the bike per se, as long as there are no obvious mechanical issues.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

revirescot wrote:
I'm new to road bikes so partially I'm sure it's adjusting to a new riding position,

P

+ 1. I had ten years doing a minimum 150 miles a week on a super light weight, compact framed road bike, average speed 20mph, heading around corners at a flat out speed. Not the slightest issue with stability

Have only ridden it once in the past 8.5 years and I felt like a 5yr old on bhis first bike! Handling characteristics were very different from eith of the flat barred, upright bikes I've been riding
revirescot

Post by revirescot »

Thanks all, nice to find a community with genuine and helpful replies. I'll sort out photos when the weather turns for the better.

It seems likely that it's a learning curve that I'll need to overcome – more used to old banger mountain bikes.

My only other thought would be increasing the handlebar width, as I'm 8cm or so wider than what's supplied (though correct me if that won't make too much difference). I also plan on doing a bit of a gravel conversion, which will call for bigger tyres and presumably greater stability.

Cheers
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Medium and large bikes are shown with 420mm wide bars, which is OK.
Handlebar width seems to vary more with bike type and fashion than rider build; for example mountain bike flat bars are wider now than they have been for a long time, something like 750mm; but you won't find (mainstream) drop bars 500mm wide. Track sprinters use very narrow bars.
hamster

Post by hamster »

One point to add - check that the headset hasn't been set too tight. Lift the front off the road and turn the bars - if there is any resistance to turning the headset needs to be slackened and retightened correctly.

A tight headset plays havoc with handling.