Saddle cover

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
User avatar
fausto copy
Posts: 2749
Joined: 14 Dec 2008, 6:51pm
Location: Pembrokeshire

Saddle cover

Post by fausto copy »

Mrs. C has good comfortable saddles on three of her machines, but the heavily textured stitching causes her cycling apparel (yeh, shorts, 3/4 'ers etc) to become worn through very quickly.
Does anyone know of a decent, smooth, well-fitting cover - possibly neoprene rather than the awful gel filled ones - that might suffice please?

Ta, f.
User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 4528
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: ...at a cricket ground

Re: Saddle cover

Post by simonineaston »

So, Copy is your last name... I was going through a list of folk with unusual names earlier (it raining so hard) when I realised what a happy hunting ground the UN secretary generals are:
* U Thant
* Ban Ki-moon
* Boutros Boutros-Ghali
to name just three! I wonder, when you apply, if it's a requirement of the job.
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mike Sales
Posts: 5802
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Saddle cover

Post by Mike Sales »

simonineaston wrote:So, Copy is your last name... I was going through a list of folk with unusual names earlier (it raining so hard) when I realised what a happy hunting ground the UN secretary generals are:
* U Thant
* Ban Ki-moon
* Boutros Boutros-Ghali
to name just three!


I think that "U" is an honorific.
Of course their names may be as commonplace as Smith or Jones where they come from.
A friend transforms the last into Beetroot Beetroot Garlic.
Last edited by Mike Sales on 17 Jun 2020, 9:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 4528
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: ...at a cricket ground

Re: Saddle cover

Post by simonineaston »

I think that "U" is an honorific.
I dare swear you're right - it's still what he's called tho' so I'd say it was his "name". It's not helped by the monosylabic nature of the rest of it!
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 4528
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: ...at a cricket ground

Re: Saddle cover

Post by simonineaston »

I must add that I work with schools and under the strict eye of the current GDP regulations, am privy to the personal details of thousands of the UK's finest school-aged children and without giving anythng away, I can tell you there's some young people out there with some bloody silly names!
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Mike Sales
Posts: 5802
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Saddle cover

Post by Mike Sales »

simonineaston wrote:
I think that "U" is an honorific.
I dare swear you're right - it's still what he's called tho' so I'd say it was his "name". It's not helped by the monosylabic nature of the rest of it!


His name in a way, but I don't think you can say Lord Carrington is his name. Or by some coincidence all the members of the House of Lords have the same forname!

Was there not a poor child christened with the names of all a cup winning Liverpool team.
Perhaps, like France I believe, given names should be selected from an approved list.

I find that the French law was changed in 1993, but a wide variety of countries have a wide variety of laws on giving names.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_law
nirakaro
Posts: 1262
Joined: 22 Dec 2007, 2:01am

Re: Saddle cover

Post by nirakaro »

Mike Sales wrote:His name in a way, but I don't think you can say Lord Carrington is his name.

I've heard that when such exalted persons go to the USA, it's often assumed that Lord is their given name. Urban myth maybe.
Mike Sales
Posts: 5802
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Saddle cover

Post by Mike Sales »

nirakaro wrote:I've heard that when such exalted persons go to the USA, it's often assumed that Lord is their given name. Urban myth maybe.


Is it true that when The Madness of George III was shown in the USA it had to be renamed The Madness of King George lest the film was taken for the third in a series?
Jamesh
Posts: 2067
Joined: 2 Jan 2017, 5:56pm

Re: Saddle cover

Post by Jamesh »

fausto copy wrote:Mrs. C has good comfortable saddles on three of her machines, but the heavily textured stitching causes her cycling apparel (yeh, shorts, 3/4 'ers etc) to become worn through very quickly.
Does anyone know of a decent, smooth, well-fitting cover - possibly neoprene rather than the awful gel filled ones - that might suffice please?

Ta, f.


Should we not be answering the question at hand rather than discussing unusual names?!!!

Cheers James
User avatar
fausto copy
Posts: 2749
Joined: 14 Dec 2008, 6:51pm
Location: Pembrokeshire

Re: Saddle cover

Post by fausto copy »

Thank you James; my thoughts too. :roll:
Mike Sales
Posts: 5802
Joined: 7 Mar 2009, 3:31pm

Re: Saddle cover

Post by Mike Sales »

I'm sorry. I do often wander off the topic. Incurably digressive mind.
Eyebrox
Posts: 386
Joined: 5 Aug 2015, 8:56pm
Location: Ayrshire

Re: Saddle cover

Post by Eyebrox »

simonineaston wrote:I must add that I work with schools and under the strict eye of the current GDP regulations, am privy to the personal details of thousands of the UK's finest school-aged children and without giving anythng away, I can tell you there's some young people out there with some bloody silly names!


The McCann family in Ayrshire, Scotland, called their youngest son Genghis.
Cyril Haearn
Posts: 15199
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Saddle cover, queer names

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I got a free smooth plastic one with advertising, 'Europe saves our a****e'
Europe?
Some are textured, wear the trousers away, awful
One could use a plastic bag, cut to size and tape in place
..
These fora are good if one wants to collect queer names :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 4528
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: ...at a cricket ground

Re: Saddle cover

Post by simonineaston »

Should we not be answering the question at hand rather than discussing unusual names?!!!
That depends on how long it goes on raining, & how hard...
(rides: Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Shreds
Posts: 59
Joined: 19 Dec 2010, 4:43am

Re: Saddle cover

Post by Shreds »

Ok back to the OP question.

Forget silly covers, get a genuine leather Brooks. Ride it for a couple of months. Dont wear seamed trousers.

Job done.
Post Reply