Saddle cover

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
fausto copy

Re: Saddle cover

Post by fausto copy »

I ride Brooks saddles, Mrs. C cannot get on with them, that's partly why I'm asking a perfectly sensible question.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You need something tight fitting so it won't move during riding and smooth enough to eliminate the stitching wear on clothing.
IIRC Brooks used to make a justmthat as a waterproof cover for their leather saddles,I don't know if they're still available

Ah,found them thoughvnot as tight fitting as a remember :- https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/saddles/med ... ver-black/
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Hi John, thanks for your sensible reply. :wink:
However, I've got one of those and it is far too loose to be of use (hey I'm a poet, hope I don't blow it :roll: ).

I'm thinking if we could get a piece of neoprene (old wetsuit material maybe) Mrs. C could sew one herself
and try and get it tight fitting.

Cheers, fausto
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

It isn't hard to recover a saddle . I use old leather jackets. One piece jobs are fine.
I can't see how you can cover a saddle without there being some movement unless it is very well glued.
Something like neoprene will change the shape anyway so will peobably be pointless.
Much easier to just replace the thing with the same design with less stitching.
WOT

Post by WOT »

I fashioned a cover from an old pair of cycling shorts once as the saddle was eating my good bibs. It slipped around a little but actually worked well.
WOT

Post by WOT »

mattsccm wrote:It isn't hard to recover a saddle . I use old leather jackets. One piece jobs are fine.
I can't see how you can cover a saddle without there being some movement unless it is very well glued.
Something like neoprene will change the shape anyway so will peobably be pointless.
Much easier to just replace the thing with the same design with less stitching.

Do you have any more information about re-covering with leather? Glue used etc?
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I've sent you a PM fausto.
Nu-Fogey
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Sticky glue that stays flexible. Any old stuff like UHU. PVA works, so does bathroom silicone or car undersesl. Not puncture cement, too pricey.
Peel old cover off if too damaged. Stretch gluey new cover round and staple it to chassis. Tidy is good. Wet leather stretches so this can help on corners. I don't always use glue if none to hand.