? Easy 100km rides in the Midlands, England?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tim-b

Re: ? Easy 100km rides in the Midlands, England?

Postby tim-b » 19 Jun 2020, 5:14am

Hi
There some pleasant routes around the National Memorial Arboretum area at Alrewas, if you look at a map you'll see that it's fairly watery around there
Remember to account for the invisible hill; parts of Cambs and Lincs can be a pain for headwinds that are unbroken either by the landscape or hedgerows
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~

arnsider

Postby arnsider » 19 Jun 2020, 8:07am

I've not ridden anywhere in the midlands except East Anglia. I spent some time staying at the old Thurlby Youth Hostel and rode across to the Wash via Spalding. It reminded me of my beloved Somerset levels. The down side of flat country is twofold; Headwinds and having to turn the pedals for every inch.
Another area I found attractive though didn't ride in is around Rosliston, between the Trent and A444. I used to drive north from Bristol via the Foss Way and cut across from the A5 to the little narrow bridge at Walton on Trent and on to Ashborne.
There is a good cyclists cafe near Rosliston called The Honey.

speedsixdave

Postby speedsixdave » 19 Jun 2020, 8:23am

The Trent, the Dove and to a lesser extent the lower Derwent all have broad floodplains which make for pleasant flatland cycling. Slightly more undulating but the triangle bounded roughly by Derby, Ashbourne and Uttoxeter is very quiet, full of yellow roads and tiny villages and well worth an explore. One of those areas that was important in the medieval but since then, nothing...
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!

TrevA

Postby TrevA » 19 Jun 2020, 5:00pm

speedsixdave wrote:The Trent, the Dove and to a lesser extent the lower Derwent all have broad floodplains which make for pleasant flatland cycling. Slightly more undulating but the triangle bounded roughly by Derby, Ashbourne and Uttoxeter is very quiet, full of yellow roads and tiny villages and well worth an explore. One of those areas that was important in the medieval but since then, nothing...

Yes, one that springs to mind would be to follow the Trent valley from Nottingham or Lowdham up north towards Dunham Bridge, Fledborough or even Gainsborough, then cross the river and cycle back down again. Hardly any hills that I can think of, mostly minor roads on the west bank, and with a bit of route planning, an east bank route avoiding main roads is possible. A few cafes available too.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com

bazzo

Postby bazzo » 30 Jun 2020, 11:37pm

AndyK wrote:There's an strip of the Cotswolds running from Tetbury in the west to Clanfield in the east which is surprisingly easy going.

For instance:

Start in or near Cirencester. (straightforward to drive there from Brum)
Head SW out of Cirencester on NCN route 45 to Kemble.
South through Oaksey to Hankerton.
East through Minety, Ashton Keynes, Cerney Wick, Down Ampney, Kempsford.
NE almost to Southrop, then SE to Lechlade.
E though Kelmscott to Clanfield.
NW through Broadwell to Filkins.
W through Eastleach, Hatherop, Coln St Aldwyns, Ready Token, Barnsley, and across the A429 to join NCN Route 48.
Follow NCN48 south down the road (The White Way) back into Cirencester. (The White Way has a fair amount of traffic, but that's near-unavoidable as you come back into Ciren.)

I reckon that's around 100km, most of it on quiet lanes with a few short busier bits. The roads near the Water Park (Minety-Ashton Keynes-Cerney Wick) will be busier at the weekend. There are a few hills in the first and last quarters of the ride but they've very short and fairly easy. RideWithGPS tells me that the steepest hill in that lot is a very short 4.2% climb out of Coln St Aldwyns, while total height gain on the whole ride is around 460m, which isn't much. And it's all lovely, of course.

There is a 100km Audax from Ashton Keynes “A winter warm up” which follows some of the route you propose. You can find a route map and route sheet online.

Langside Road

Postby Langside Road » 1 Jul 2020, 7:34pm

I do most of my cycling in Limousin in France and the East Midlands of England. I can say that the Trent valley area Derby, Nottingham, Newark as far as Gainsborough has the potential for the sort of ride you're talking about. If you do want a bit of climbing there are opportunities when you move away from the Trent. The Trent valley is a lot flatter than Haute Vienne.

In both locations, before lockdowns, I used to drive to somewhere about an hour from home, my wife who has dodgy knees would potter round the shops , read a book in a park or cafe depending on the weather and what she felt like while I went for a couple hours ride. We'd then have lunch in a pub or restaurant. The ride could be more flexible in the UK as food was available in pubs virtually all day, in France it's 12 to 2pm and after 1pm not guaranteed.

I've never done a 100km on these trips but 45 - 60km is good for giving you an appetite

essexian

Postby essexian » 2 Jul 2020, 6:37am

When trains are available for all again, then I quite like a ride starting from Shrewsbury following the disused canal out of town (mostly a reasonable cycle path) to Uffington, then onto Rodington, Admaston, Wappenshall Junction and then either up the hill to Lilleshall (300 foot climb in three miles) or flat into Newport. You can then take the back lanes to Penkridge (train station) or loop around to Stafford via Acton Trussell. For a few more miles, you can take the disused railway path out of Stafford and head the 12 miles to Stone where there is a train station with links to Stoke/Crewe and down to London via Stafford, Lichfield and Nuneaton. The route to Stone is includes a reasonable cycle path alongside the A34

Flat for most of the ride while in Shropshire with a few, less than 100 foot high lumps in Staffordshire. If you prefer, I am sure there is a route from Newport into Wolverhampton which is on the same line as Shrewsbury station.

NickWi

Postby NickWi » 2 Jul 2020, 9:51am

essexian wrote:-----Flat for most of the ride while in Shropshire with a few,------.

The area essexian is talking about is the start of the North Shropshire Plain, it's not flat as pancake like East Anglia but what hills there are are generally lumps & bumps rather than hills. Not so South Shropshire, hills, hills, hills and a few more hills thrown in just for good measure. Broadly speaking, keep it north of the A5/M54 and it's easy going.