Frame flexing more than before?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
oneten

Re: Frame flexing more than before?

Postby oneten » 20 Jun 2020, 1:59pm

roubaixtuesday wrote:I used to own a 25" Tour Ace of near identical vintage.

The flexing sounds fine, no issue.

Mine failed by the "ears" on the seat stays cracking after 25 years or so use.

Now that is very reassuring. The seat stays look fine. thanks!

oneten

Postby oneten » 20 Jun 2020, 2:07pm

peetee wrote:I too have a Nigel Dean Tour Ace although mine is the rarer 753 model. I also have a Raleigh frame with Reynolds 708 which has the larger dia top tube. The 708 is noticeably stiffer when riding out of the saddle and firmer on bumps than any 531 or 753 frame I have ridden and would be my choice if I were loading up where the additional weight would would probably offset the firmer ‘spring’ :oops:

Thanks Peetee and nice to hear from a Nigel zfean owner.

oneten

Postby oneten » 20 Jun 2020, 2:11pm

your frame flexes back each time i take it? it's not just gradually distorting in one direction?

Yes Bruce, it springs back just the same and the flex is about the same amount on either side. I think it is simply a characteristic of the 531 tubing.

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 20 Jun 2020, 2:32pm

oneten wrote:your frame flexes back each time i take it? it's not just gradually distorting in one direction?

Yes Bruce...

I think mig asked that question, not me.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

oneten

Postby oneten » 20 Jun 2020, 2:44pm

531colin wrote:Have you access to another similar bike to compare the degree of flexibility?
My test goes;
Stand next to the bike, one hand on the stem, other hand on the saddle. Pull one towards you, push other one away. Reverse, repeat.
Same starting position, but put toe of one foot on crank/BB axle end, and push.

I've just tried the above test and to be honest, it puts things into perspective, there's hardly any movement. Compare this with when the handlebars are resting on a wall and the rear end is unsupported, it seems to show the frame is essentially sound.

I do have a couple of mates with whom I ride regularly. One rides a steel Condor gravel bike. I'll ask if we can do a comparison before we go out on Monday.

Definitely won't be taking the hacksaw/ angle grinder to Nige any time soon!

oneten

Postby oneten » 20 Jun 2020, 4:50pm

Brucey wrote:
oneten wrote:your frame flexes back each time i take it? it's not just gradually distorting in one direction?

Yes Bruce...

I think mig asked that question, not me.

cheers

Still pleased to say it springs back Brucey, even if you didn't ask the question! :)
To be honest I'm feeling a lot happier about the whole thing except for the top tube height being too high for me. I think in view of the bike shortage thanks to/due to the upsurge in cycling's popularity, I will bide my time in the quest for a new or good secondhand bike for the time being. Nigel still has a lot to offer.....