Bike for a big guy - Help?!?!?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bigboyonbike

Bike for a big guy - Help?!?!?

Post by bigboyonbike »

So I've bit the bullet and decided I've put off trying to get fit long enough. Cycling is going to play a part in achieving this. Nothing crazy as I've been doing 5km per day which is a jump for me. I'm hoping in the long term between 1-20 miles daily would be perfect so I'm no athlete and don't aspire to be.
The challenge I've got is my old Halcyon hybrid bike is okay for this so far but I think there must be bikes out there designed for those of us with a bigger frame. I'm just over 6ft and about 25 stone(the bit I want to change)

In terms of budget I don't want to spend a fortune but could go up to £1000.
I'll be riding on trail, some local road and fields.

I keep reading about fat bikes and the mongoose dolomite being great for a big guy but this seems a thing of the past maybe?

I'd love any suggestions and any help is really appreciated!
Thanks
gbnz

Re: Bike for a big guy - Help?!?!?

Post by gbnz »

Hmm...have to admit I'd forget about replacing the bike at present. The bike is a secondary issue, in comparison with the weight loss (NB. Under the "Health and Fitness" section, there's an excellent thread on weight loss at present).

That said, at 25 stone you are carrying a considerable weight. Somewhere in the region of a good 50-60kg+ more than I've ever carried on a bike, even when on a long tour (NB. Including the weight of tent, sleeping bag, books, food etc). I'd presume your tyres and wheels are the weakest points, so ensure they're in good condition, heavy duty in nature, perhaps even get a bike shop to have a check over the wheels, bike frame, handlebars and seat post in general to ensure there aren't any obvious weak points (NB. Presuming you don't have the skill/knowledge at present).

And give yourself a reward! A new bike at 15 stone? (NB. I need to drop half a stone, being nearly 13 stone at 6'2" :oops: . Nothing to do with the bike, simply several months binging out on Pain Au Chocolates etc!)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

This has often been mentioned before, try searching these fora
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There have been a few threads on this topic before.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=130644
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135695

You can try your own searches based on the recommendations in these threads?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom