Bike in back of car

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JJF

Bike in back of car

Postby JJF » 20 Jun 2020, 10:02am

In recent months there was a thread about fitting bikes in the back of cars. It included a website which gave internal dimensions of cars. Can anyone direct me to that or similar website please.

simonhill

Re: Bike in back of car

Postby simonhill » 20 Jun 2020, 10:09am

The one I found when looking was for wheelchairs. Try googling if no other replies.

Generally it's a bit of a pain as most car reviews just give internal size in cubic measurement.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 20 Jun 2020, 10:12am

Parkers good - check out the Practicality pages.
I have a convertable mini and a Moulton... wot a smug git I am!
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

tatanab

Postby tatanab » 20 Jun 2020, 10:13am

It was I who posted the link with dimensions, and it is true that this is aimed at wheelchair users. https://www.ridc.org.uk/features-review ... ng-car/car

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 20 Jun 2020, 10:15am

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

drossall

Postby drossall » 20 Jun 2020, 1:28pm

I've found that bikes fit in most cars. We used to go around with my bike in the boot of a Ford Fiesta, and the kids on the back seat. That was wheels out on a bike with no mudguards. I've put assembled bikes in various cars. I can get an assembled sports trike (front wheel still in as well) in a Ford C Max.

philvantwo

Postby philvantwo » 20 Jun 2020, 3:46pm

Mick F can get his lightweight mercian and his Moulton into the back of his Toyota.
My sister had a mini convertible once, when the roof was down it looked like............a giant pram!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 20 Jun 2020, 4:48pm

Mercian needs the front wheel out. Mudguards are ok, it's just the overall length of a 700c bike that's the issue. Front wheel off is fine.
Moulton has the same wheelbase, but because overall length of the bike is less due to small wheels, it goes in complete.
Sometimes, it's better to spit the Moulton to get it in if the rear seats need to be used.
Toyota Yaris.

We had a Fiat500 for a few years as a second car and Mercian just needed one wheel out but the seats dropped.
Moulton Yaris with seats.jpg
Mercian500-1.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall

gbnz

Postby gbnz » 20 Jun 2020, 6:53pm

Mick F wrote: as a second car

:shock: Are you really a cyclist? What do you use a car for?

Samuel D

Postby Samuel D » 20 Jun 2020, 7:09pm

Mick F wrote:We had a Fiat500 for a few years as a second car and Mercian just needed one wheel out but the seats dropped.$matches[2]Mercian500-1.jpeg

Had? Did you get rid of it for any particular reason? I’m just curious because we were half-thinking about getting a Fiat 500 (the new ultra-mild hybrid model) as a replacement for our 2009 Citroën C1.

I can put two bikes with removable wheels in that C1, plus a passenger, all doors closed. There aren’t many cars that won’t take a road bike easily. Two are more of a puzzle in small hatchbacks.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 20 Jun 2020, 7:17pm

gbnz wrote:
Mick F wrote: as a second car

:shock: Are you really a cyclist? What do you use a car for?
I ride a bike for pleasure and relaxation. Sometimes a bike goes into a car so I can get to pastures new as I've been on all the roads endlessly and TBH, it gets a bit repetitive.

Off down west to Helston with Moulton in the back of the Yaris on Wednesday - or at least I plan to - to visit another eleven Cornish parish churches on my quest to visit them all. 70odd mile drive each way to get there.

226 Cornish parish churches in total, and the eleven from Helston and south will take me down to fourteen left, and I'll be driving the bike down to Penzance to do those last ones maybe in a week or so.

In the recent past, and it's still an ongoing quest, it that I'm riding all the roads in Cornwall. Done most of them.

I used to ride to school and also used to commute on a bike before I retired.
I am a cyclist born and bred and proud of it.
Samuel D wrote:
Mick F wrote:We had a Fiat500 for a few years as a second car and Mercian just needed one wheel out but the seats dropped.$matches[2]Mercian500-1.jpeg

Had? Did you get rid of it for any particular reason? I’m just curious because we were half-thinking about getting a Fiat 500 (the new ultra-mild hybrid model) as a replacement for our 2009 Citroën C1.

I can put two bikes with removable wheels in that C1, plus a passenger, all doors closed. There aren’t many cars that won’t take a road bike easily. Two are more of a puzzle in small hatchbacks.
We bought the 500 as I really liked the look of them.
Ours was a Twinair turbo-charged 85hp and went like a rocket. Real pleasure to drive.
We already had a Renault Clio we'd had since brand new for many a long year and hoped to sell it and keep the 500.

Trouble was, the 500 wan't big enough. The boot space couldn't cope with a week's shopping, so we always had to drop at least one back seat. If we took a passenger in the back, the headroom was poor as well as the legroom, plus the rear seats were hard and uncomfortable.
Front accommodation was perfect.

We part exchanged the 500 for the Yaris Hybrid we have now, and sold the Clio shortly afterwards.
The Yaris is great, and we love it.
Mick F. Cornwall

pete75

Postby pete75 » 20 Jun 2020, 7:24pm

simonineaston wrote:Parkers good - check out the Practicality pages.

I didn't think they made convertible minis. I've seen cars, estate cars, Riley and Wolsey versions with an extended boot, vans and pickups but never a convertible.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 20 Jun 2020, 7:29pm

Mick F. Cornwall

foxyrider

Postby foxyrider » 20 Jun 2020, 7:32pm

pete75 wrote:

I didn't think they made convertible minis. I've seen cars, estate cars, Riley and Wolsey versions with an extended boot, vans and pickups but never a convertible.

think he means a BMW thing :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 20 Jun 2020, 7:45pm

foxyrider wrote:
pete75 wrote:

think he means a BMW thing :lol:
I know! There is something of a wry irony there! I'm so old that I've enjoyed both - learnt to drive in a proper mini and now drive around in the beamy sexton.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)