Go Outdoors

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldjohnw

Go Outdoors

Postby Oldjohnw » 21 Jun 2020, 7:33pm

I see GO is applying for administration.
John

Paulatic

Re: Go Outdoors

Postby Paulatic » 21 Jun 2020, 7:44pm

Yet another place which doesn’t surprise me.
I’ve only ever been in the Penrith store staffed with uninterested young people and both items I’ve bought there I later had to chase up for a refund due to their price match.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

PH

Postby PH » 21 Jun 2020, 8:23pm

Doesn't surprise me either, though for different reasons, simply the losses they must have made over the last few months and must expect to make over the next few. I doubt they'll be the last of the big brands to fold.
I've largely been happy enough with the products and price of the few items I've bought from there, my nearest branch is a short walk away. I'll miss them for mid range walking or casual shoes, it's the one thing I don't buy online and nowhere else offers as much choice.

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 21 Jun 2020, 9:02pm

I understand that Debenhams, Hotter Shoes, Poundstretcher, Kath Kidson and Oak Furnitureland and some fashion retailers have all applied for administration or some arrangement with their creditors.

Clearly, the total absence of customers over the last few months has been the last straw but I imagine that there are simply too many businesses selling the same stuff.
John

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 21 Jun 2020, 9:14pm

When they came to Berwick I thought brilliant. But I was totally underwhelmed inside. Their staff had not a clue and despite the so-called discounts their prices were not cheap. I could get a further discount with YHA which was useful when buying gas or something.
John

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 21 Jun 2020, 9:16pm

I'm disappointed since my daughter may loose her job!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

whoof

Postby whoof » 21 Jun 2020, 9:19pm

Any retailer with a business model that depends on size, high turn-over and relatively low margins is only on the brink of profit at the best of times.

Chances are someone will buy some of the chain but many will go, but not outdoors.

Used to visit and buy a few things, mainly walking stuff about every other year.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 21 Jun 2020, 10:19pm

Most of all being a retailers whose business model is mainly store based as opposed to web based is going to suffer in lockdown.

Good stuff, a decent store imo not like sports direct etc.

Sadly my money will be on Mike Ashley buying it up.

Cheers James

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 21 Jun 2020, 10:37pm

We've had real bargains there but we're rely on knowing about what we want and what is good. I always find what I want then Google to find it cheaper elsewhere. Then show the cheaper online retailer snc I get their price match plus 10% off. Usually they work out 10% of their price then take that off the cheaper price which is the wrong way around in my favour. It's how I got boots reduced from £125 to £67. A similar discount for shoes. These were Solomon x ultra 3 shoes that at the time were new out and I'd not seen them for less than a hundred.

That's the only reason I go there. I know what i want and if they have it I'll get it and price match it. I rarely pay even their normal card price. It'll be a shame if it closes.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 22 Jun 2020, 6:05am

I always liked them but found their discount card thing wierd and i think counterproductive for them. I found that it put me off buying stuff. Unwilling to take out a card for a fiver whose validity was ticking away for a single purchase. So i"d tend to wait, then maybe forget the original thing.
There's a handy one in blackburn just up from a great independent, outdooraction. I hope they are OK. If they survive, could be a silver lining for them.
Sweep

Syd

Postby Syd » 22 Jun 2020, 8:46am

I use the local store quite frequently. They seem to have staff with knowledge of the specific area they work in and are very helpful.

Be sad to lose them.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 22 Jun 2020, 9:52am

Sweep wrote:I always liked them but found their discount card thing wierd and i think counterproductive for them. I found that it put me off buying stuff.

Me too.

Jonathan

1982john

Postby 1982john » 22 Jun 2020, 9:56am

The card thing is strange. Costco seem to do ok but it always put me off the occasional purchase at Go Outdoors.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 22 Jun 2020, 10:05am

The card used to work for me when I lived on a narrowboat on the Isis (Thames at Oxford...), as the store wasn't far down the Abingdon Road and I used to get refilled gaz cyclinders from them. But before and after the boat, the card was just annoying!
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 22 Jun 2020, 10:11am

I’d agree with the card thingy it’s very off putting and means you’ve got to be thinking of a huge purchase with a big discount to make it worthwhile buying. Without buying the card it makes other store prices look reasonable.
Still remember visiting a funfair on the Isle of Sheppey around 1965. There were two prices displayed on rides one for locals and one for visitors. Consequently they got no money from me.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/