Go Outdoors

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH

Re: Go Outdoors

Post by PH »

pete75 wrote:What I think is that you should mind your own business and let others mind theirs. The number of sanctimonious "I know what's best for everyone else" types appears to be increasing at a rapid rate.

As I've explained it is my business.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote:
pete75 wrote:What I think is that you should mind your own business and let others mind theirs. The number of sanctimonious "I know what's best for everyone else" types appears to be increasing at a rapid rate.

You think it's your business what other people do but it's not. Your target should be the businesses who produce and sell all the cheap, throw away goods not the folk who use them.
Last edited by pete75 on 28 Jun 2020, 3:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

PH wrote:

And mine!
Richard M
Cardiff
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

pete75 wrote:
PH wrote:

You think it's your business what other people do but it's not. Your target should be the businesses who produce and sell all the cheap, throw away goods not the folk who use them.

The people who buy the crap and then don't dispose of it properly should be targeted just as much as the producers, it takes both parties to make it happen.
If people are going to damage the environment then it is our business.
Richard M
Cardiff
pete75

Post by pete75 »

richardfm wrote:
pete75 wrote:
PH wrote:As I've explained it is my business.

The people who buy the crap and then don't dispose of it properly should be targeted just as much as the producers, it takes both parties to make it happen.

Yes , it's always other people isn't it? Of course you've never done anything which damages the environment have you. Hasn't it ever occurred to you the people you're criticism may not know any better, may have been bombarded all their young lives with consumerism, even now the government is telling people to get out there and spend to revive the sagging economy. The festival going youngsters might be better off with friendly, helpful and informative advice not sanctimonious, holier than thou criticism.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

pete75 wrote:
richardfm wrote:
pete75 wrote:

Yes , it's always other people isn't it? Of course you've never done anything which damages the environment have you. Hasn't it ever occurred to you the people you're criticism may not know any better, may have been bombarded all their young lives with consumerism, even now the government is telling people to get out there and spend to revive the sagging economy. The festival going youngsters might be better off with friendly, helpful and informative advice not sanctimonious, holier than thou criticism.

1) I didn't say it is always other people and that I haven't done anything that damages the environment, nor did I imply it.
2) Yes, it has occurred to me that people may not know better, that's why the need to be targeted, with education. Not left alone to carry on as they are because it isn't anyone else's business.
3) Just because the government wants people to spend it doesn't have to be on single use items that then get dumped.
4)Are you going to offer youngsters "friendly, helpful and informative advice" or are you going to leave them to get on with it because it is none of your business?
5)By the way, many festival goers, me included aren't youngsters, do you think it is only youngsters who dump rubbish?
Richard M
Cardiff
PH

Post by PH »

pete75 wrote:Yes , it's always other people isn't it? Of course you've never done anything which damages the environment have you.

Did somebody say they were perfect?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Recently on a walk in the hills I came across a soiled baby's nappy. Whose fault was that? The parent or the manufacturer?
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Can I just add to this please?

Until I read this thread, I'd never heard of Go Outdoors.
I don't think they have a shop down here anywhere in the Far SW.

We have Cotswolds and Millets. There may be another one. Blacks?
Mick F. Cornwall
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pete75 is sort of right, unfortunately, the idea that anything that moves more money and stuff around, pushes the economy, is desirable, is sadly widespread. But whatabout Greta?

Many of this parish are guilty too, I fear, see live thread about the Cycling Equipment Fairy who visits several times a week :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Syd

Post by Syd »

Mick F wrote:Can I just add to this please?

Until I read this thread, I'd never heard of Go Outdoors.
I don't think they have a shop down here anywhere in the Far SW.

We have Cotswolds and Millets. There may be another one. Blacks?

Closest is likely Plymouth and yes, Blacks is another under the parent company’s umbrella.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

If you have a Millets you ~probably~ don't have a Blacks, as they are two parts of the same chain and stores were "rationalised" a couple of years ago. In some places which had both, Millets closed down, in others it was Blacks.

But wait! As I type this, I've just looked at Wikipedia; it seems there used to be both Millets and MIlletts.
Milletts (1928) Ltd, with 28 stores was bought by Blacks of Greenock in 1970.[12] Millets with 92 stores was founded in 1893 by Mr J.M. Millet and had two stores in Southampton and Bristol. In 1978, the company moved to Northampton. Includes own brands Eurohike and Peter Storm. In 1986, it formed Millets Leisure plc. This became the Outdoor Group in 1996 with 158 stores, which was bought by Blacks Leisure plc in 1999. Millets is not related to Millet, a French manufacturer of outdoor equipment.[13]

I can't remember whether our local store had one or two ts, but it was definitely around till a few years ago.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Last time I was in Plymouth, we had Cotswolds and Millets.
Blacks was up the top end of Royal Parade near Andrew's Cross, but I think that went.

Cotswolds just past Vodafone on the left.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.37145 ... 312!8i6656

Millets.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.37141 ... 312!8i6656

Blacks were here, but it seems it's a bed shop now. :lol:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.37045 ... 312!8i6656
Mick F. Cornwall
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

pete75 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
pete75 wrote:
It is true for many of the tents. In any case what the hell business of yours is it if a person buys a tent and decides to use it only once?

It is all our business, criminal waste of resources

Folk can do what the hell they like with their own money/possessions as long as it's not illegal. The fact you may disapprove doesn't make it criminal.

Littering is compulsory now then is it? It used to be criminal, and at the very least is what the scum of the earth do 'because they can' - if the cap fits...
Steve

Post by Steve »

I was chatting to a new colleague from overseas the other day, at our place of work near Skipton, and asked her where she had worked previously.
"I was working in Cotswolds"
"A nice part of the world, but not one I know well" I said in reply.
A few minutes later my brain clicked.