Brighton to Cornwall

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
whorse@live.co.uk

Brighton to Cornwall

Postby whorse@live.co.uk » 22 Jun 2020, 11:58am

I’m thinking for cycling from Brighton to Cornwall. I’m going to stop in swanage and Barnstable. Does anyone know any companies that would be able to transport my stuff to each stop and estimated costs? Many thanks

Jdsk

Re: Brighton to Cornwall

Postby Jdsk » 22 Jun 2020, 12:17pm

For the SW bits I suggest:
https://www.luggagetransfers.co.uk

Jonathan

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 22 Jun 2020, 1:28pm

Maybe more info please.

What "stuff" are you talking about?

What sort of bike? Will you be carrying anything? Etc etc?

If only clean stuff for a night, then you could consider posting your stuff. This would probably be the cheapest option.

whorse@live.co.uk

Postby whorse@live.co.uk » 22 Jun 2020, 4:41pm

Thank you. That was really beneficial. My next question; Would anyone know a bus service to transport us back to London. A Mini bus or coach that would accept bikes?

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 22 Jun 2020, 4:46pm

Do the bikes fold or pack away?

Did you deliberately exclude trains?

Jonathan

mjr

Postby mjr » 22 Jun 2020, 6:13pm

whorse@live.co.uk wrote:Thank you. That was really beneficial. My next question; Would anyone know a bus service to transport us back to London. A Mini bus or coach that would accept bikes?

Notional National Express accept bikes but drivers can refuse if the hold is full. I don't remember whether they have to be bagged but a forum Search should find much more detail.

Trains are mostly easier and you can (indeed, must) reserve bikes on GWR expresses, but you have to hang the bike in a rubbish design cupboard which not all bikes will fit. I think you might be able to avoid that by using GWR local services to Exeter and then SWR to Waterloo but it's slower and you'd still have to book the SWR one.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 22 Jun 2020, 6:30pm

You and a mate could hire a van and share the costs. Even a car perhaps.

They could drive it with your stuff inside and support you during the days.
Then, at your destination, you load your bike in the back, and the pair of you drive back to Brighton.

Simple, and without the hassle of train bookings.
Mick F. Cornwall

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 22 Jun 2020, 6:53pm

As you are a new poster and we don't know your experience..... may I add.

Most touring cyclists carry their gear in bags attached to their bike. The most commonly used are probably panniers, 2 bags that fit on a rear rack, although you can use smaller ones on the front. For light loads, some get away with a large saddlebag. The new style is to festoon your bike with frame for bags also known as bikepacking. A bit of googling will reveal pictures.

ossie

Postby ossie » 22 Jun 2020, 9:42pm

Brighton to Swanage

Swanage to Barnstable

Two very long days in the saddle, the latter being as hilly as hell. Best of luck if you're carrying kit.

David9694

Postby David9694 » 22 Jun 2020, 9:55pm

ossie wrote:Brighton to Swanage

Swanage to Barnstable

Two very long days in the saddle, the latter being as hilly as hell. Best of luck if you're carrying kit.

Maybe reverse it - more likely to have a following breeze at least. Don’t forget to pack masks for that return journey.

whorse@live.co.uk

Postby whorse@live.co.uk » 22 Jun 2020, 10:59pm

Thank you for all your help. I am new to this, I’m usually a long distance commuter, however as all my summer holidays have been cancelled, I thought I would try something a bit different.

I’m organising a three day cycle tour with some friends. Perhaps I have not thought the route through. I thought Barnstable because I could then cycle into Newquay across the north coast of Cornwall. But I don’t want to put my friends through too much hell. Are there any nice suggested routes from Dorset to Cornwall???

The transfer company suggested above provided me some quotes to take our stuff so I’ll be backpack free. I am also seeking a minibus to transport us back to Brighton once we are done.

Masks???
What else should I think about apart from the usual equipment.

Thanks again for all your comments, all helpful.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 22 Jun 2020, 11:04pm

I transported my bike on a x50 bus in the Scottish Highlands by simply taking the wheels off duck taping then to the the carbon frame and covering with a black bin bag.

I then secured using a bunggie to the triangulated steel frame that all coaches have in their luggage holds.

A very bumpy journey to invness caused concern when no concern was needed.

Bike back on wheels and bin bag in the bin, job done!!!

Cheers James

ChrisF

Postby ChrisF » 22 Jun 2020, 11:23pm

whorse@live.co.uk wrote:Perhaps I have not thought the route through. I thought Barnstable because I could then cycle into Newquay across the north coast of Cornwall. But I don’t want to put my friends through too much hell. Are there any nice suggested routes from Dorset to Cornwall???

I suggest you use https://cycle.travel/map to find some cycling routes. Whichever way you choose, 3 days will be very hard work. The nearest road to the coast between Barnstaple and Newquay would be the A39 most of the way, very busy particularly in summer. Via Exeter and Okehampton would be on a more direct route.
Chris F, Cornwall

jgurney

Postby jgurney » 22 Jun 2020, 11:34pm

Brighton to Swanage is at least 108 miles, Swanage to Barnstable at least 115 miles.
Are you accustomed to covering those sorts of distances?

jgurney

Postby jgurney » 22 Jun 2020, 11:40pm

whorse@live.co.uk wrote: I am also seeking a minibus to transport us back to Brighton once we are done.

Would not the train be a lot simpler?
A self-drive minibus will mean one of you has to drive it back to the depot again and still come home by rail, while a one-way self-drive hire will be very pricy and a driven minibus even more, as the journey would take practically a whole day each way. Going by rail (either Penzance - Westbury - Brighton or Penzance - Reading - Gatwick - Brighton) should be simple enough. I have taken bikes by rail between London and the West Country many times.