Brighton to Cornwall

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cowsham

Re: Brighton to Cornwall

Post by Cowsham »

jgurney wrote:
Cowsham wrote: 4 bikes wouldn't be possible. You'd need..

Ah, if there are 4 or more of them than no freight van would do as none have more than 3 seats.

One could be a stowaway :wink:
I am here. Where are you?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Cowsham wrote:
I have a vivaro and we could put 3 mountain bikes in each fully loaded up ( panniers stuffed ) for a weeks camping tour. 4 bikes wouldn't be possible. You'd need a Renault master or maybe a long wheel base van -- mines short wb

I beg to differ, I've had 7 bikes in my vivaro van (swb) with some canny packing, 6 with camping kit. The problem is lack of people space, I can carry more bikes than I can carry people.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

eileithyia wrote:
Cowsham wrote:
I have a vivaro and we could put 3 mountain bikes in each fully loaded up ( panniers stuffed ) for a weeks camping tour. 4 bikes wouldn't be possible. You'd need a Renault master or maybe a long wheel base van -- mines short wb

I beg to differ, I've had 7 bikes in my vivaro van (swb) with some canny packing, 6 with camping kit. The problem is lack of people space, I can carry more bikes than I can carry people.

We wanted to have the bikes packed and ready to wheel off and onto the boat so the bikes had to be stuffed in with panniers stuffed, tents and sleeping bags on the handle bars plus more stuff piled on the top of the panniers. Then our back packs etc. Granted you could probably get another bike in if you removed all the panniers etc and just throw them on top but did you take the bikes apart to get 7 in plus all the camping stuff for 11 days?
I am here. Where are you?
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

whorse@live.co.uk wrote:I would prefer the scenic route, what is Bodmin mood, doesn’t sound nice. Good point, we said Newquay because we could get a train home. However, if we hire a mini bus it can perhaps be open to finishing in another place. Somewhere with some nice pubs to sinks few on the Saturday would be ideal :)

In good weather, Bodmin Moor is one of my favourite places to ride in Cornwall. The route North and (particularly) West of it (NCN 3) is great.
The train from Newquay, though, isn't great - slow, infrequent and you need to change to the main line at Par. You'd be better off finishing at Bodmin, Snozzle (see above!) or Truro, all on or near the main line.
If you want to surf when you arrive, then go to Newquay by all means. Otherwise I wouldn't recommend.
Chris F, Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Cowsham wrote:
eileithyia wrote:
Cowsham wrote:

We wanted to have the bikes packed and ready to wheel off and onto the boat so the bikes had to be stuffed in with panniers stuffed, tents and sleeping bags on the handle bars plus more stuff piled on the top of the panniers. Then our back packs etc. Granted you could probably get another bike in if you removed all the panniers etc and just throw them on top but did you take the bikes apart to get 7 in plus all the camping stuff for 11 days?

Sorry only just seen your reply. Admittedly when I had 7 in one of them had front wheel out and was across the back of the van just inside the double doors.
When I have had 6 in I think one of them again has had a front wheel out... but the camping kit is then packed either between (think sleeping bags / camp mats) to help cushion them.... with the rest of the camp kit pilled in behind ie inside the double rear doors.. and we were static camping so have a bit tent / chairs / and various other items to make camping a bit more comfy for a week..... have done plenty of pared down minimalist moving on cycle camping to have earnt a bit of comfort when static camping ... :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells