Roof mounted racks ??? - Best choice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: Roof mounted racks ??? - Best choice

Post by Jdsk »

Sometimes the bikes and other HPVs go inside, most often the bikes go on the back on upstands from the towbar with a lighting board.

But when the bikes go on the roof they go upside down with the saddle in a holster and clamps around the handlebars: no clamps or anything else on the frame, the wheels stay on, and the bikes are easier to manoeuvre that way up.

With the tandems that's the rear handlebars: that centralises the weight and the rear handlebars don't turn.

That's often been on Espaces and at that height I either remove a seat and stand on it or carry a small stepladder that folds flat.

Jonathan
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

I've had a pair of Thule Proride 598 carriers for about two years, and I find them very secure. I regularly carry a pair of full suspension mountain bikes for quite a distance and have had no problems with the bars to date. As someone said earlier, they are good but expensive. My only gripe is that if you've got a car with a high roof then it can be a bit awkward to lift the bike up especially if it's heavy. I've bought a small folding 'step' that helps but it's always easier with two sharing the weight.
I used a rear carrier for years and it was so much easier to get the bike on but if it was wet, the bike always seemed to get covered in road muck!
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Found a picture!

9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

I favour San Remo Fittings , front wheel out, on standard roof bars. Nil damage to paint.
Have recently acquired Thule pro ride wheel out (off fleabay) to try.
One or two folk have mentioned racks not being tight enough. Quite a lot of Fittings you see have plastic handwheel fittings.
I always substitute nylock nuts for them .
My mate who runs a bike shop and is a trained mechanic says the bike should face in opposite direction to car on a wheel out rack to minimise Headset damage under brakin, not a problem I have encountered.
ratherbeintobago

9494arnold wrote:My mate who runs a bike shop and is a trained mechanic says the bike should face in opposite direction to car on a wheel out rack to minimise Headset damage under brakin, not a problem I have encountered.

If you do that with a Thule 561, it'll stick out a long way over the windscreen as the axle mount is in line with the roof bar clips; unlike the 591/598 where the roof bar clips are set back from the front wheel.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Fair Point, Hadn't considered that . My machines (usually trikes) actually sit on a rack on top of a stripped down trailer.
Haven't tried the Proride yet, (and I DO REALISE IT ISN'T OPTIMUM FOR THE TRIKES, I carry bikes too !!!)
it was intended to go on the trailer initially but I do have an estate with roof rails and some suitable cross bars.
I would have thought that provided the rear wheel was secure then headset abrasion would be minimal, it's only got the weight of the bike pushing on it, unlike when it's being ridden when it's the bike and rider and potholes to contend with.
Last edited by 9494arnold on 30 Jun 2020, 11:57am, edited 1 time in total.
ratherbeintobago

I think you're right, the weight of the bike is going to be relatively small without rider, and as you say the bike is going to be secured by the back wheel strap.

We did have a 561 that I sold on, major problem was that it couldn't take the kids bikes (then because the little one's Isla and its 80mm front hub, now because the big one's Trek has non-standard QR dropouts…) or my MTB (no 15mm option). Otherwise was fine.