Pain in big toe

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Proofer

Pain in big toe

Postby Proofer » 25 Jun 2020, 12:15pm

On June 14th I went out for a 10 mile ride including a 50 m climb which I've only done twice, when I got back I felt fine, that night I awoke around 3AM with a painful big toe which kept me awake and gradually wore off during the day, decided to lay off the bike for about a week and a half, when I went out again did 6 miles and same thing happened.

First run was using toe clips second using new clipless pedals.

I'm 64 now and cycled a lot up to around 1990 then started again in 2017 never had this problem before.

printedland

Re: Pain in big toe

Postby printedland » 25 Jun 2020, 12:21pm

Where is the pain? Is it in the toe, or is it in the large joint at the base of the toe?

I've had a couple of toe problems; one of them is caused by inflammation of the joint at the base of the toe. The other is less clear - perhaps gout from my years of rich living (this is a joke, of course, but gout is a possible cause of joint joint pain)

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 25 Jun 2020, 12:34pm

I recommend talking to your GP.

Did it look inflamed? Take a photo if it does.

Gout's on the list, but so is wear and tear, and so is acute infection, which needs to be sorted out quickly.

Jonathan

paddler

Postby paddler » 25 Jun 2020, 2:29pm

I have pain in one big toe joint which has gradually got worse over the last few years since doing a lot of hiking in one year. I also run. Eventually I phoned my doctor, who sent me for an x-ray without seeing me. It's been diagnosed as arthritis due to wear and tear.

They just said take paracetamol and take it easy, and weren't keen when I asked about any chance of an operation.

Luckily it hasn't got too much worse and I can still run, but if I bang it the pain is the worst!

It's gradually producing spurs which you can feel, especially when flexing the toe, and on some of my shoes I've had to remove the laces from the bottom two eyelets.

Haven't done any long distance hiking since so not sure how that would go, but cycling is ok.

Dave

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 25 Jun 2020, 2:32pm

paddler wrote:... and weren't keen when I asked about any chance of an operation.

Would you like another opinion? In the NHS that would probably be through referral to a podiatrist or surgeon.

Jonathan

Proofer

Postby Proofer » 25 Jun 2020, 2:48pm

Thanks everyone, I've made an appointment with chiropodist, see what they say.

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 25 Jun 2020, 2:55pm

15 (?) years ago I started getting pain in my big toe. I too asked around, "sounds like arthritis, take this stuff made of dandelions" or some such nonsense.

I went to a qualified podiatrist. He said - "you have functional hallux limitus". I asked for a second opinion. He said "ok, I think you're ugly too" (sorry, old joke).

Seriously, I went to another podiatrist. He said "you have functional hallux limitus".

I went to an NHS podiatrist. He said "you have functional hallux limitus".

I concluded I have function hallux limitus.

https://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/7486

One of the private podiatrists made me custom made orthotics. I put them in my shoes. The problem stopped.

Go and see a foot doctor.
Hilarious, pithy, or philosophical signature.

mikeymo

Postby mikeymo » 25 Jun 2020, 2:58pm

Proofer wrote:Thanks everyone, I've made an appointment with chiropodist, see what they say.

I think they prefer "podiatrist" now. The ones that talk a lot about biomechanics are probably a good bet, rather than those that just doing ingrowing toenails.
Hilarious, pithy, or philosophical signature.

paddler

Postby paddler » 25 Jun 2020, 3:41pm

Jdsk wrote:
paddler wrote:... and weren't keen when I asked about any chance of an operation.

Would you like another opinion? In the NHS that would probably be through referral to a podiatrist or surgeon.

Jonathan

I probably will do at some point, thanks. Haven't felt too inclined to follow it up too vigorously in the present circumstances, especially while it's (relatively) behaving itself.

Dave

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 25 Jun 2020, 4:23pm

As it didn't affect you on the ride are you sure it is not gout ? because the whether is hot and you may dehydrating on the ride leading to uric acid formation in the joint.?
NUKe

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 25 Jun 2020, 4:26pm

It would be very hard to know that it isn't without sticking a needle in it.

Jonathan

Proofer

Postby Proofer » 25 Jun 2020, 8:58pm

Thanks for that, lots to think about.

francovendee

Postby francovendee » 26 Jun 2020, 7:19am

I have this and put it down as arthritis. I've not bothered seeing the doctor and think it comes with getting older.
The weather does effect it and if it's painful putting the foot on a cold floor gives me relief.
Luckily it doesn't trouble me when cycling.

Proofer

Postby Proofer » 26 Jun 2020, 3:18pm

Seen the GP and she said it was gout (no sign of infection) and gave me some pills, looking back on it I think it was down to dehydration on that first run.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 26 Jun 2020, 3:20pm

What did she prescribe: there are drugs that decrease inflammation and pain and drugs that affect the metabolism and excretion of urate...

Jonathan