Casual shorts...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nomm

Casual shorts...

Postby nomm » 26 Jun 2020, 11:12am

I have never been able to bring myself to just wear a cycling bib and jersey - I have always had shorts over the top for touring, roady days and mountain biking

A pair of grey howies has been a staple for 5+ years but the ass and stitching is about to give up - whats been great about these is the tapered fit (not tight, not baggy), comfortable over all bibs, light/quick drying, smart enough for work and look good. This is no easy task for a single item of cycling clothing.

Alas they need replacing and soon - I am small 5,8 and slim 67KG with a 29/30 waist depending on brands - but it would be great to know what we are all using out there - Rapha £90! or mountain warehouse £10 (which were just a bit too baggy and wore out quickly)

Oldjohnw

Re: Casual shorts...

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Jun 2020, 11:20am

I tend to use Rohan. Quite expensive but they have a sale right now. They have cycling shorts which are also multipurpose.

I am 5'10" but not tall enough for my girth. My Rohan's have a partially elasticated waistband.
John

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 26 Jun 2020, 12:27pm

Have you thought of altering the Mt Wh ones.

Taking in the outer side seam may be enough, although any cargo pockets could scupper this.

Any decent seamstress could do it, might be worth getting a few done at same time.

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 26 Jun 2020, 12:40pm

Craghoppers Kiwi Pro stretch shorts,they're a 'soft' fabric,five pockets all zipped brilliant,very good quality and not too short either
On this page:- https://www.craghoppers.com/mens/shorts/

PS,Their Kiwi Pro trousers are very good too.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 26 Jun 2020, 12:53pm

Swrve, as above, are very comfortable and well cut, but be aware that their "durable cotton" is actually 45% nylon with a touch of spandex and is uncomfortably thick in current weather.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 26 Jun 2020, 2:26pm

I thought that Rohan had stopped offering cycling-specific togs some time ago. :?

NUKe

Postby NUKe » 26 Jun 2020, 2:42pm

if you don't need an internal liner with a pad then can I suggest Bergaus trekking shorts
https://www.millets.co.uk/mens/152186-b ... &gclsrc=ds

I have a pair that I wear as cycling shorts the legs have velcro so you can narrow or widen the opening vents on the sides
NUKe

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Jun 2020, 2:43pm

thirdcrank wrote:I thought that Rohan had stopped offering cycling-specific togs some time ago. :?

I bought a pair last year. It is still for sale except out of stock.

https://www.rohan.co.uk/product/detail/ ... fort_03236
John

andrew_s

Postby andrew_s » 26 Jun 2020, 3:24pm

I'm using Gore C3 Trail shorts, which I liked well enough to get a second pair of.

Oldjohnw wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:I thought that Rohan had stopped offering cycling-specific togs some time ago. :?

I think you'll find that "out of stock" means "we've finally got rid of all the oddments".
Someone like Rohan wouldn't be out of stock at this time of year if they intended to sell any, as judged 6 months or more ago when they would have had to put factory orders in.
If you got a pair last year, were they XS or XXL, at an on sale price?

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 26 Jun 2020, 3:29pm

andrew_s wrote:I'm using Gore C3 Trail shorts, which I liked well enough to get a second pair of.

Oldjohnw wrote:

I think you'll find that "out of stock" means "we've finally got rid of all the oddments".
Someone like Rohan wouldn't be out of stock at this time of year if they intended to sell any, as judged 6 months or more ago when they would have had to put factory orders in.
If you got a pair last year, were they XS or XXL, at an on sale price?

None of the above. Full price size L.
John

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 26 Jun 2020, 4:21pm

Decade plus ago I bought a pair of mountain hardware shorts, very expensive at close to £80 but they fitted perfectly, were close but not too tight fitting, completely stretchy fabric and 4 zipped pockets that could be used without getting in the way when cycling. Thin fabric so not too warm but tough as nails. My walking and cycling shorts for years. They simply couldn't be ripped despite many slides down steep, rocky slopes. Probably stopped using them at about 12 years of hard use because the seam at the crotch became half loose (outer stitch opened up not the inner). It's my everything is in the wash emergency shorts now.

For cycling I've got endura baggies. Very tough but a little baggy. The are velcro tabs you can use to close up the leg to m make them more snug there.

Bmblbzzz

Postby Bmblbzzz » 26 Jun 2020, 8:10pm

Tangled Metal wrote:Decade plus ago I bought a pair of mountain hardware shorts, very expensive at close to £80 but they fitted perfectly, were close but not too tight fitting, completely stretchy fabric and 4 zipped pockets that could be used without getting in the way when cycling. Thin fabric so not too warm but tough as nails. My walking and cycling shorts for years. They simply couldn't be ripped despite many slides down steep, rocky slopes. Probably stopped using them at about 12 years of hard use because the seam at the crotch became half loose (outer stitch opened up not the inner). It's my everything is in the wash emergency shorts now.

For cycling I've got endura baggies. Very tough but a little baggy. The are velcro tabs you can use to close up the leg to m make them more snug there.

A local tailor would mend that. Ours would charge £5. Don't know where you live but this is an expensive city, so probably worth getting them sewn up.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 27 Jun 2020, 6:23am

Love my mountain warehouse light cargo shorts.
Light as they are I can't see them wearing out. Prefer them to my endura humvees due to lightness.
I use them alone or sometimes over lycra.
Easy to wash and dry.
Discontinued style I think but other replacements available.
Cost about £15 I think.
Sweep

Paulatic

Postby Paulatic » 27 Jun 2020, 7:56am

I bought some mountain warehouse shorts a few years ago. Excellent value, just strong if £15 I recall, and hard wearing.
Only problem I’m finding with them is they can shrink during winter storage. :|
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/