Selle Italia Mitica Leather Saddle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Nessie23

Re: Selle Italia Mitica Leather Saddle

Post by Nessie23 »

Been for 2 x 1-hour rides on new saddle and very impressed. It feels rock hard straight out of box and in your hands but when you first sit on it, in situ on the bike, you feel it give a little as a slight depression is created under your sit bones. My bike is a hybrid, flat bars and the saddle is very comfortable in the more upright sitting position. When I tuck down to reduce air resistance and my pelvis rolls forward onto the nose section it is uncomfortable as very firm and will clearly take longer to break in for this position.
An unexpected revelation is that I feel much more connected to the bike and can feel the compliance in the tyres much more than before. This gives a feeling of having better control.
After first ride the tensioning screw required 3/4 turn to take up the slack which confirms to me that the breaking in process has started. No adjustment required on 2nd ride.
I am very impressed and can now understand the oft repeated refrain to go firmer/leather saddle as opposed to softer/gel when chasing better saddle comfort.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Nessie23 wrote: 30 May 2021, 12:17pm Been for 2 x 1-hour rides on new saddle and very impressed. It feels rock hard straight out of box and in your hands but when you first sit on it, in situ on the bike, you feel it give a little as a slight depression is created under your sit bones. My bike is a hybrid, flat bars and the saddle is very comfortable in the more upright sitting position. When I tuck down to reduce air resistance and my pelvis rolls forward onto the nose section it is uncomfortable as very firm and will clearly take longer to break in for this position.
An unexpected revelation is that I feel much more connected to the bike and can feel the compliance in the tyres much more than before. This gives a feeling of having better control.
After first ride the tensioning screw required 3/4 turn to take up the slack which confirms to me that the breaking in process has started. No adjustment required on 2nd ride.
I am very impressed and can now understand the oft repeated refrain to go firmer/leather saddle as opposed to softer/gel when chasing better saddle comfort.
My posterior is in love with leather saddles, I found numerous ergonomic saddles either like bricks or too soft.
I believe saddle comfort and ergonomics are a missing part in selling a bicycle.

Also the clothing used while cycling greatly affects it.

I have a B66 on my flat bar touring bike and it has made it much better.

I test rode a bicycle after an adjustment with one of those awful Bell gell saddles which was far to big and vastly uncomfortable.

Pleased to hear the reports on a fine saddle
Red Kite

Post by Red Kite »

Nessie23 wrote: 28 May 2021, 2:46pm Thanks, I am now aware that Proofide is recommended by Brooks. The only instruction from Selle was “Apply saddle treatment before your new saddle is exposed to rain or strong sunlight.” The actual instructions are visible on the label in the pic above.
Warning: This may offend the Brooks traditionalists...... but i have applied an application of dubbin last night. I rubbed it in and left it overnight and was just about to polish it off and go for first ride but the heavens have just opened and scuppered that plan!
I've decided I'll try one of these - I need a slightly wider, more sitty uppy saddle than the one supplied on my Cube. I haven't had a Brooks since the one on the bike my dad built for me about 54 years ago. I wasn't aware that I was very happy with it for several years, I just never noticed it so it must have been good!

I'll try Urad Mr JoJo on the 'leather'. I've been using it for years on boots, shoes, leather furniture, even steering wheels. It's a bit sweeter smelling and cleaner than dubbin.

http://www.uradleathercare.co.uk/All-UR ... duct_id=66

EDIT - finally got my Yorkshire head around parting with £54 (how much?!) and ordered a 'honey' Epoca.
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SASIEP/se ... oca-saddle.
I can't thoil a Brooks and rumour has it that the leather isn't what it used to be in any case. High hopes for the Epoca.
Cube Touring Hybrid One e-bike, Brompton P6R with Swytch conversion
Red Kite

Re: Selle Italia Mitica Leather Saddle - Epoca

Post by Red Kite »

Nessie23 wrote: 30 May 2021, 12:17pm Been for 2 x 1-hour rides on new saddle and very impressed.

I don't think my new Epoca, which arrived this morning, had any tension on it when it came - not obvious because the new leather is so stiff anyway. If you get one, just be aware that it probably isn't pre-tensioned - which I suppose makes sense as it could be in stock somewhere for some time before being used.

After an initial application of Mr Jojo I went for a ride which didn't raise any immediate problem - I could feel a bit of give almost straight away, so I returned after only 5 miles or so and set about taking up any slack.

Without any stretch at all it there wasn't room to get the little spanner on to the nut, and when I turned the hex screw both the screw and nut went round together so I fetched a normal open ended spanner that just held it. It took 3 full turns on the screw with no resistance before starting to tighten up so I gave it another one for luck and I'll check it when I've had another ride out.

I like it, I'm not feeling any discomfort and It's easier to fidget than it was on the shorter, narrower padded saddle I took off.

It certainly looks good.

Cube Touring Hybrid One e-bike, Brompton P6R with Swytch conversion
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

I applied 2nd application of dubbin to my Epoca yesterday. Bike is kept in a wooden shed in south facing garden so gets very warm. Dubbin is doing an excellent job of nourishing saddle but is probably not the best if you are after a glossy shine. Still love the saddle after another 2-hour cycle.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

The Epoca and Mitica are now in the sale - so down to £37.50 + P+P at Planet X, so even more of a bargain than they were before....

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/component ... it/saddles
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

backnotes wrote: 7 Jun 2021, 5:29pm The Epoca and Mitica are now in the sale - so down to £37.50 + P+P at Planet X, so even more of a bargain than they were before....

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/component ... it/saddles
Planet X are having a sale :shock:

Who'da thunk it? :lol:

...but thanks, that's a good tip-off :D
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Well I'm not complaining, - i got a new carpet and a new fitted kitchen at 75% off, as well as a saddle :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Closethipster

Post by Closethipster »

I just ordered the Storica saddle off Planet-X website. Looking forward to trying it out!