Selle Italia Mitica Leather Saddle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pedalsheep

Selle Italia Mitica Leather Saddle

Post by pedalsheep »

Does anyone know how this compares to a B17?
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Cyclewala

Re: Selle Italia Mitica Leather Saddle

Post by Cyclewala »

It doesn't compare. It's their version of the Brooks Swallow.

I have one and two B17s. It's got a wide perch for the sit bones and then narrows quite suddenly. The B17 narrows gradually and suits a more upright position.

The Mitica is for slightly more enthusiastic riding. I have it on the commuter, so an hour each way. Very comfortable, and no reason why I couldn't do a century on it.

Took a little longer to break-in than the B17.

If you want the Selle version of the B17, look at the Epoca.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Cyclewala wrote:It doesn't compare. It's their version of the Brooks Swallow.

I have one and two B17s. It's got a wide perch for the sit bones and then narrows quite suddenly. The B17 narrows gradually and suits a more upright position.

The Mitica is for slightly more enthusiastic riding. I have it on the commuter, so an hour each way. Very comfortable, and no reason why I couldn't do a century on it.

Clearly it does compare to the B17 as that is what you've just done! :D
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

Indeed. I should have opened by saying it's not comparing like for like.

Good saddles and despite the online speculation they're a re-badged Taiwanese product, the box on mine says Made it Italy.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Thanks cyclewalla. Planet X have them at a knockdown price at the moment but if it's more like a Swallow than a B17 I think I'll pass.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

pedalsheep wrote:

Thanks cyclewalla. Planet X have them at a knockdown price at the moment but if it's more like a Swallow than a B17 I think I'll pass.

They're also selling the Epoca saddle for the same price. That is the equivalent of a B17. Cracking price that.

Here the link:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SASIEP/se ... oca-saddle
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyclewala wrote:Indeed. I should have opened by saying it's not comparing like for like.

Good saddles and despite the online speculation they're a re-badged Taiwanese product, the box on mine says Made it Italy.

If it was even partly assembled in Italy I think I'm right in saying that they could claim that.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Does anyone know the durability of these saddles.

Looks like a composite construction of fabric, mesh and leather rather than a pure leather saddle of brooks or spa type.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/selle-it ... addle-yet/

Cheers James
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

Jamesh wrote:Does anyone know the durability of these saddles.

Looks like a composite construction of fabric, mesh and leather rather than a pure leather saddle of brooks or spa type.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/selle-it ... addle-yet/

Cheers James

Done about 2,000 miles on the commuter. Was very stiff in the first 300 miles, but been brilliant since. I am a heavy rider so, the breaking in period may be longer for someone lighter.

The three layered construction is meant to strengthen the leather and reduce sagging. The rails are longer than Brooks and allow more horizontal adjustment.

I prefer the B17 on the tourer and the road bike as I do longer rides on these. If I didn't have the B17s, I'd have no problem putting the Mitica on the road bike.

The surface on mine is showing small wrinkles around the sit bones area. If didn't know they had a three layered construction, I wouldn't recognise this from looking at the saddle as it's well made and there is no parting of the layers.

I've not needed to adjust the tension yet, which I had to do on both the B17s by 2,000 miles.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Cyclewala wrote:
pedalsheep wrote:

They're also selling the Epoca saddle for the same price. That is the equivalent of a B17. Cracking price that.

Here the link:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SASIEP/se ... oca-saddle

Thanks, I'd missed that.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

As I had a gift voucher, just ordered an Epoca for the cost of postage.

Will see what breaks in first, the saddle or me.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Is there any update on these as we were discussing they are cheaper than a Brooks, but the composite seems a delamination risk.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

I thought about one instead of a B17 narrow but the design is a bit fussy and I wasn't sure about the laminated construction. Brooks saddles aren't great (bits of the hardware can break) and are ludicrously overpriced these days - thanks hipsters - but they're a known quantity.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

rogerzilla wrote: 23 May 2021, 9:51am I thought about one instead of a B17 narrow but the design is a bit fussy and I wasn't sure about the laminated construction. Brooks saddles aren't great (bits of the hardware can break) and are ludicrously overpriced these days - thanks hipsters - but they're a known quantity.
We have been chatting again today at cafe over coffee and currently £49.99-54.99 for the various models sounds reasonable.
The only sticking point was leather top thickness- if it's brooks 5mm style re-enforced it could be a bargain, if 2mm with composite so leather faced- not so sure.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

I have never ridden a Mitica but i've got a Storica and it's great.