Selle Italia Mitica Leather Saddle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Nessie23

Re: Selle Italia Mitica Leather Saddle

Post by Nessie23 »

Just taken delivery of the Sella Italia Epoca for £54.
This is my first ever experience of a leather saddle. First impressions:
1. My goodness it is firm.....very firm.
2. It appears very well made and does look stylish.
3. Was not aware leather saddles should be protected from rain :?. Is this really required?

Will report back after my 98 kg has hopefully moulded it into shape after a few hundred miles.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Nessie23 wrote: 26 May 2021, 4:00pm Just taken delivery of the Sella Italia Epoca for £54.
3. Was not aware leather saddles should be protected from rain :?. Is this really required?

Will report back after my 98 kg has hopefully moulded it into shape after a few hundred miles.

Rain and leather not good idea.

Can you post a picture of leather edge and underneath as really interested in the construction and thickness of leather and composite.
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

Pics as requested...
Total thickness is approx 5.4mm
The central (middle) membrane of the sandwich is the white line in the section and approx 0.8mm.
It does appear incredibly well bonded together and the cut profile is very neatly finished. Trying to initiate a delamination by picking with my fingernail resulted in bent fingernail!
IMHO, a quality product and well worth the £54 (incl delivery)
073006E2-6831-4F20-9DCC-BBA266A17D80.jpeg
5EADCEDC-21B9-4EF5-980C-581F3F235075.jpeg
E67010A8-41EF-4D6B-A9A0-99A6F4A81841.jpeg
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Hi thanks for posting your pictures it looks like a very nice saddle and a bargain. Will send link to my associate as they are keen to buy one.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I bought one a couple of years ago, looks very good quality but haven't actually put it on a bike yet :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ClappedOut wrote: 26 May 2021, 6:15pmRain and leather not good idea.
It depends on what you mean.

I have Brooks Professionals on my bikes. They've been wet, and been outside in the rain, but they just need a wipe down (or not) and just get ridden on. Absolutely fine.

What they haven't had, is been outside overnight in pouring rain and remained outside and unused for days on end.

Big difference.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

I bought the honey one 10 years ago, only been used on my summer bike and only got it wet a few times. It's a dark brown colour now and the leather has split a fair bit around the copper rivets. I won't be buying another one, my winter bike has a Charge spoon saddle, loads better and a bargain for £17!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Nessie23 wrote: 26 May 2021, 4:00pm

Protected from the rain means Proofide, or whatever Selle Italia's equivalent is? That should help it break in, as well?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Vorpal wrote: 28 May 2021, 9:58am

Protected from the rain means Proofide, or whatever Selle Italia's equivalent is? That should help it break in, as well?

Would be interested to know that as well.
Sid Aluminium

Post by Sid Aluminium »

Cyclewala wrote: 26 Jun 2020, 5:20pmGood saddles and despite the online speculation they're a re-badged Taiwanese product, the box on mine says Made it Italy.
The 2016 article on Bike Radar indicated the saddles are manufactured at Selle Italia's facility near Venice on the original leather molding presses from back in the day.
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

ClappedOut wrote: 28 May 2021, 10:04am
Vorpal wrote: 28 May 2021, 9:58am

Would be interested to know that as well.
Thanks, I am now aware that Proofide is recommended by Brooks. The only instruction from Selle was “Apply saddle treatment before your new saddle is exposed to rain or strong sunlight.” The actual instructions are visible on the label in the pic above.
Warning: This may offend the Brooks traditionalists...... but i have applied an application of dubbin last night. I rubbed it in and left it overnight and was just about to polish it off and go for first ride but the heavens have just opened and scuppered that plan!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Proofide is tallow, oil, and wax. I would think that you could use mink oil, one of the conditioners or oils used for horse tack, or another conditioner with contents similar to Proofide.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

Vorpal wrote: 28 May 2021, 3:28pm Proofide is tallow, oil, and wax. I would think that you could use mink oil, one of the conditioners or oils used for horse tack, or another conditioner with contents similar to Proofide.
Agreed on the make up of proofide. I believe dubbin has the same core ingredients and i have an old tin on the go. I love the smell of dubbin and still use it on my ‘genuine’ leather football boots. I have read many threads on the topic of leather saddle after-care and reached the conclusion that people can be too precious about the do’s and dont’s. One entry even advised against using mink oil as it will attract mice to nibble on your saddle😀.
Anyway, weather is clearing up so I am off for a quick spin on new saddle......just need to find a saddle umbrella just in case it rains again😉.
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Tallow beeswax and a small amount of neatsfoot oil my recipe -rightly or wrongly
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Nessie23 wrote: 26 May 2021, 4:00pm Just taken delivery of the Sella Italia Epoca for £54.

Don’t leave outside for hours, or overnight, in heavy rain as that will cause problems for a leather saddle.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.