Dawes Horizon drivetrain upgrade.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Simonhorizon

Dawes Horizon drivetrain upgrade.

Postby Simonhorizon » 26 Jun 2020, 9:12pm

Hi, I'm looking into upgrading the drivetrain on my 2009 Dawes Horizon. It still has all the original components and they have lasted well (ie. about 12000 miles.)
As it's and old 8 speed machine can I upgrade it with any Deore components?
Any help and advice is much appreciated

I'm looking to upgrade as bottom bracket and chainrings are wearing and I would replace like for like but I can't find identical parts

Kind regards and keep safe.
Last edited by Simonhorizon on 27 Jun 2020, 12:06pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eyebrox

Re: Dawes Horizon drivetrain upgrade.

Postby Eyebrox » 26 Jun 2020, 10:25pm

Yes. You would need to change from an 8 speed set-up to 9 speed. New cassette (assuming you have a cassette fitted now and not a freewheel) new rear mech and new shifters. All Deore 9 speed. The crank can stay as is.

kwijibo

Postby kwijibo » 26 Jun 2020, 10:33pm

You don't say why you want to upgrade, but I'd suggest you stick with 8 speed if you can find the parts. Cheaper to replace and more reliable in the long term.

fatboy

Postby fatboy » 26 Jun 2020, 10:57pm

Deore rear mech will work (so long as it's not more than 9) as will Sora.

Seconding the other comment there is benefit in keeping it simple with 8-speed just replace what's worn out (rear mechs do wear out and I've had the front mech break (the tab retaining the spring snapped off)
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly

Eyebrox

Postby Eyebrox » 26 Jun 2020, 10:57pm

kwijibo wrote:You don't say why you want to upgrade, but I'd suggest you stick with 8 speed if you can find the parts. Cheaper to replace and more reliable in the long term.

I have to agree. A lot of flaff for minimal gain.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 27 Jun 2020, 6:11am

Eyebrox wrote:
kwijibo wrote:You don't say why you want to upgrade, but I'd suggest you stick with 8 speed if you can find the parts. Cheaper to replace and more reliable in the long term.

I have to agree. A lot of flaff for minimal gain.

+1 for sticking with 8 speed.
There's no problem getting bits.

34T rear cassettes are available.
The only reason I can think of for going to 9 is access to the rather nice 12-36 cassette, but if the OP can live without 36T now, that alone wouldn't be a reason for moving.
Want 9 speed?
Get another bike, always a good idea.
Sweep

Simonhorizon

Postby Simonhorizon » 27 Jun 2020, 12:06pm

Hi, I'm looking into upgrading the drivetrain on my 2009 Dawes Horizon. It still has all the original components and they have lasted well (ie. about 12000 miles.)
As it's and old 8 speed machine can I upgrade it with any Deore components?
Any help and advice is much appreciated

I'm looking to upgrade as bottom bracket and chainrings are wearing and I would replace like for like but I can't find identical parts

Kind regards and keep safe.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 27 Jun 2020, 12:27pm

Well if the bottom bracket is worn it needs replacing, though I don't really understand why this dictates a shift to 9 speed.

What's the crankset?

I have an 8 speed bike and recently bought a load of shimano chainrings.
Sweep

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 27 Jun 2020, 12:30pm

if 3x8 is enough gears (and it ought to be if they are well-chosen) I wouldn't bother upgrading to 9s. As well as the cheaper 8s consumables, changing to 9s means buying new shifters. If the present ones are OK then this is a needless expense, and may be the single most expensive item you buy.

I'm assuming that you are planning to get RD, chainset, BB, cassette, chain. The FD can stay?

For a RD you can use an 8s or 9s model in a 8s system.
For a chainset, I'd recommend looking at models available from Spa Cycles; their own brand triples are rebadged Stronglight/Sugino chainsets and are cracking value. IMHO it is worth spending the extra on better chainrings if you are the kind of rider than changes the chain on a regular basis; treated thusly the best quality chainrings can last 30000 miles.

Since you are going to change all the chainrings and sprockets, now is a good time to consider the gear ratios. You may want to stick with the same ones as you have used before, but then again you may find that there is some advantage in changing them, to get a wider range or different gear spacing at some point in the range.

Note that if you want to change the chainline and/or the interval between the two larger chainrings, a different FD may be required.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 27 Jun 2020, 2:01pm

Brucey wrote:For a RD you can use an 8s or 9s model in a 8s system.

by the by thanks for this brucey - will simplify my spares stockholding.
Sweep