Does anybody know what this bike might be? Photo of a cheap bike for sale

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
John_S

Does anybody know what this bike might be? Photo of a cheap bike for sale

Postby John_S » 27 Jun 2020, 12:25pm

Hi All,

My brother in law is not a cyclist nor does he intend to be but he has recently said that he wants a bike to cycle to his local shop on, a journey of less than a mile. He was going to buy a BSO from Argos or somewhere like that and wanted to spend no more than £150-£200. Now I've gone through all of the usual arguements about bikes and quality etc. but he just wants something very cheap and it will only be used for very short journeys.

I did say that secondhand might be a better option but with the current situation there isn't much about. However on a walk today locally I saw this and I'm sure that it won't be the greatest bike in the world but it does fit his requirement of being cheap.

But I've absolutely no idea what it is and does anybody know from this photo or would it require more investigation and photos?

Thanks if anyone has any ideas!

Cheers,

John
Image Attachments
bike for sale photo.JPG

iandusud

Re: Does anybody know what this bike might be? Photo of a cheap bike for sale

Postby iandusud » 27 Jun 2020, 12:34pm

I don't know anything about the specific bike but it looks like a fairly generic hybrid circa early 90s and at 35 quid as long as the wheels are round and everything works it's a bargain and would be ideal for your brother in law's needs, assuming the size is OK. It has a fairly large frame so wouldn't suit a short rider.

freiston

Postby freiston » 27 Jun 2020, 12:36pm

Iirc, they (Real) were a Halfords brand. I bought a rack pack with the same branding. I vaguely remember thinking they were decent bikes for the money at the time.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 27 Jun 2020, 12:37pm

it could be a 'real' bargain (groan); it looks like it has a TIG welded steel fork, alu frame and a basic 3x7 geartrain. I'm guessing that it is 7s freewheel rather than cassette hub at the rear. If so the first things to give trouble on a bike like that (through mileage alone) will be a worn transmission and/or a broken rear wheel. Provided these parts are still OK it is unlikely that you will have to spend a lot of money on the major mechanical parts. However this still leaves things like tyres and cables.

Worst case it'll need new tyres, new cables, rear wheel and transmission parts. You could easily spend £100- £150 fixing these things. On the other hand they may be in good enough condition to survive a few years of short journeys. Condition is everything here.

cheers
Last edited by Brucey on 28 Jun 2020, 10:49am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

arnsider

Postby arnsider » 27 Jun 2020, 12:46pm

I would certainly go for it.
£35 is nothing these days.
He'd be well advised to spend twenty odd quid on a D lock as bikes of all shapes and kinds are being pinched these days.
I used to ride a cheap Claud Butler Hybrid with 501 main tubing and I upgraded everything and it lasted years.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 27 Jun 2020, 12:56pm

freiston wrote:Iirc, they (Real) were a Halfords brand. I bought a rack pack with the same branding. I vaguely remember thinking they were decent bikes for the money at the time.

That was my recollection also.

John_S

Postby John_S » 27 Jun 2020, 12:59pm

Hi All,

Many thanks for your messages above which are much appreciated!

My brother-in-law is about 6 foot and I'm a bit shorter than him but I might take it for a test ride and see what I think to see if I can identify any issues that are immeiately aparent or if it rides ok and see what I think of the size and whether it might work for him a 6 foot.

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Cheers,

John

Chris56

Postby Chris56 » 27 Jun 2020, 4:29pm

Given the demand for bikes at the moment £35 is a bargain even if its a wreck. Looks really cool too

mercalia

Postby mercalia » 27 Jun 2020, 4:55pm

Chris56 wrote:Given the demand for bikes at the moment £35 is a bargain even if its a wreck. Looks really cool too

unless its stolen. £35 seems rather cheap? almost why bother?

gregoryoftours

Postby gregoryoftours » 27 Jun 2020, 5:51pm

£35 is a great price if it's not knackered. I'd not wait around.

Jamesh

Postby Jamesh » 28 Jun 2020, 8:55am

I'm thinking it's an Alu frame???

Nice enough bike at a good price.

Some lighter Kevlar tyres and it will fly.

Cheers James

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 28 Jun 2020, 8:58am

For £35 quid, the guy will come along with bolt cutters and release it for you, iyswim.

It's walking like a duck, quacking like a duck, it may indeed be a duck.

colin54

Postby colin54 » 28 Jun 2020, 9:29am

I just did a search, these Real Eco's were about £400-500 in the mid 1990's (so 25 years old) when new, with Alivio level components, the two most recent ones for sale on Gumtree were advertised for £35, so maybe the seller got their asking price from those. There's plenty of bikes around of that age at that money, I bought a Ridgeback hybrid of similar spec' and age 7 or 8 years ago for £50. My similar age Saracen MTB was bought off of a drive for exactly £35 a couple of years back.
See if the seller has the original paperwork for the bike and get a receipt from them at least. I'd certainly buy it, and if needed would spend a bit of money to bring it up to scratch. As always 'let the buyer beware'.

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 28 Jun 2020, 10:13am

Hi John did you buy ?

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 28 Jun 2020, 10:48am

Jamesh wrote:I'm thinking it's an Alu frame???

I think you are right; alu frame, steel fork.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~