Does anybody know what this bike might be? Photo of a cheap bike for sale

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bmblbzzz

Re: Does anybody know what this bike might be? Photo of a cheap bike for sale

Postby Bmblbzzz » 28 Jun 2020, 5:33pm

mercalia wrote:
Chris56 wrote:Given the demand for bikes at the moment £35 is a bargain even if its a wreck. Looks really cool too

unless its stolen. £35 seems rather cheap? almost why bother?

There's a bloke down the road from me works as a mechanic in the local bike-recycling place and often sells bikes for that sort of price. I guess he gets them free as part of his work (they have a scheme where you repair a certain number of bikes for them, you get one for yourself). This one could be similar or more likely it's something he's had at the back of the shed for 25 years and just wants rid of. It's a bargain, go for it.

John_S

Postby John_S » 28 Jun 2020, 8:47pm

Hi All,

Thannks very much for all of the extra messages above and for the reaseacrh that people did.

Re: the message from colin54 above maybe the seller did look at other adverts for the same bike and if the last two which were advertised on Gumtree were for sale at £35 maybe that's why they came up with the price.

I did pop back today, the guy is only just down the road from me, and he seemed to know about the bike and he was the second owner and has had it for 15 years. He'd just bought himself a new bike which he was very pleased with and had been out on this morning and done 25 miles on. That was the reason for selling this one. I took it for a test ride and it went through all the gears, stopped okay with the brakes and it didn't seem to be making any strange noises.

The saddle is a bit of a sofa and set at a slightly strange angle with the nose up and slopping backwards so I was almost sliding off the back but hopefully I can adjust that. I do wonder if the bike is ever so slightly small for my brother-in-law who is about 6 foot but I think it'll be okay.

It might need a little bit of TLC but it doesn't seem too bad at all given the age and so I did buy it for my brother-in-law.

As mentioned my brother-in-law had been very close to buying an Argos or similar shop BSO for around £150 becuase he didn't want to spend more than that on a bike. He hates walking and will sometime drive to his local village shop which honestly can't be more than half a mile away and it's best not to get me started on that subject. He litterally wants a bike to pop to this shop and back and I very much doubt he'll do much more than that on it. But in my eyes this has to be better than a new Argos BSO at £150 and I'm sure it'll do a job for him absolutely fine on the very short journeys that he'll use it for.

Thanks to all for the help and advice.

Cheers,

John

Bonzo Banana

Postby Bonzo Banana » 28 Jun 2020, 9:15pm

I don't think Argos bikes are necessarily bad, you are buying a new bike with likely superior and safer V brakes if a hybrid and the certification for bikes now is much tougher than it used to be so the frame is likely structurally stronger. As long as you go with a basic Argos bike without suspension and spend the time setting it up correctly, grease etc they can be solid commuting bikes. Not all Argos bikes are BSO's. They do quite a nice road bike with Claris gearing and CF fork that was only £175 I think in last years Black Friday deal. I've seen worse road bikes in independent bike shops with freewheels for close to £500, yes such a shop will no doubt set the bike up for you as well as they can for such a basic bike but the Argos bike is still better.

John_S

Postby John_S » 28 Jun 2020, 10:06pm

Hi Bonzo Banana,

My apologies as I didn't mean to pick on Argos it was just the shop that sprung to mind becuase my brother-in-law had mentioned them but he was happy to go to pretty much any shop as long as the bike didn't cost more than £150

However hopefully this one is a bargain to keep his wallet happy and fingers crossed it'll do the job that he wants it for.

Thanks,

John

Cowsham

Postby Cowsham » 29 Jun 2020, 11:49am

Can't go far wrong at £35 -- I find trying to buy a cheap bike for kids etc is very difficult and always wondered why they were all so bloody heavy.

I often thought if kids bikes were lighter like the old bikes I had as a kid more kids would stay with cycling.

Likewise when as adults someone buys a cheap heavy bike they give up soon after cos the thing is a pig to push.

I guess it's health an safety making stupid demands on frame requirements but could never figure out why. I've never seen a frame break or even crack in my lifetime unless run over by a car but I hear you can spend £2k plus on a plastic fantastic that will fall apart with normal use.

Manc33

Postby Manc33 » 29 Jun 2020, 1:31pm

New mudguards cost that... and it's got some on it.
When two cyclists get married, they should throw anodized cable crimps instead of confetti.

hemo

Postby hemo » 29 Jun 2020, 7:33pm

End of the day £35 or £150 they both work when you turn the pedals and do the same thing.

rmurphy195

Postby rmurphy195 » 30 Jun 2020, 9:45pm

He'll save £35 on car wear and tear and fuel in no time for that journey!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !

pete75

Postby pete75 » 1 Jul 2020, 8:59am

Brucey wrote:it could be a 'real' bargain (groan); it looks like it has a TIG welded steel fork, alu frame and a basic 3x7 geartrain. I'm guessing that it is 7s freewheel rather than cassette hub at the rear. If so the first things to give trouble on a bike like that (through mileage alone) will be a worn transmission and/or a broken rear wheel. Provided these parts are still OK it is unlikely that you will have to spend a lot of money on the major mechanical parts. However this still leaves things like tyres and cables.

Worst case it'll need new tyres, new cables, rear wheel and transmission parts. You could easily spend £100- £150 fixing these things. On the other hand they may be in good enough condition to survive a few years of short journeys. Condition is everything here.

cheers

You sure about that? They do say steel is real. :D

NATURAL ANKLING

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 3 Jul 2020, 8:05pm

Hi,
If it truly was £400 in the nineties then it will be a cassette, even the copies are very good, rear qr is a part give away for cassette.

I bought a halfords mtb in 96, cassette all shimano too, very good still have it done many miles on that :) £250

Snap it up!

Edited-
Last time I looked a year or two ago a cassette bike new was over £330 at halfords.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.