Oldest Still Serving Panniers/Saddle Bag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mercalia

Oldest Still Serving Panniers/Saddle Bag

Post by mercalia »

I have just bought some replacement Karrimor panniers from EBay , the exact model I bought 20 years ago, the largest they ever made and dont come up often on Ebay, with arear pocket and a top net pocket - these ones have clearly been stored some where mostly unused as a bit musty they are almost new compared to mine that have been used most days for the last 20 years - so some places I have restitched them and some of the reflective material now gone, but still intact

Got me thinking any one here still using saddle bag/panniers from decades ago & I wonder if those super plasticky surfaced, non fabric ones that are 100% water proof eg Ortlieb would stand the test of time without cracking. Experiences?
Barks

Re: Oldest Still Serving Panniers/Saddle Bag

Post by Barks »

I have a set of Karrimor panniers that I bought for a cycle camping trip to Brittany I did in 1975 - I have used them routinely ever since although now only for shopping trips on a 1995 Claude Butler Shinob (bought new then, the only non original parts are the rear block, chains, cables and brake blocks. The bags are green with red straps and a single pocket on the rear. They still keep the rain out.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Full set of Carradice Super C front and rear purchased 1988/89. Used unevenly and irregularly. Somewhat frayed at the edges, probably not that waterproof anymore but I haven't tested. Unlikely to replace.

Also inherited pair of rear Carradice Overlanders of perhaps 1990 vintage. Zips have mostly gone, buckles replaced or missing, still handy for messy jobs.

The thing that never ceases to amaze me is that I can still buy replacement hooks for all of them.

Saddlebags have not fared so well, having seen more usage. Current Carradice Nelson (or possibly Camper) Longflap is probably late 90's with some rub holes in the bottom from sitting on the rear rack. Its pre-loved Super C replacement is hanging in the garage waiting for those holes to wear bigger.

Bar bags are the work of the devil, my '88 Super C with its strap cut off is home to my power drill and will never be put on a bike again.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Greystoke

Post by Greystoke »

I have a full set of front, rear, handlebar bag and stuff sack all Karrimor in green with yellow reflective strips and yellowy greenish straps from the mid 80's still used and still in good condition.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

1972 I was given a Carradice Campers Longflap for Christmas. Until about 2015 it was only used for touring, so about 4 weeks a year. Then it was downgraded to day use because it was not holding a reproofing very well, and a new version was bought. Hence that bag has survived almost 50 years of use so far, with a fair few to come.

A bag that is used every day is a different matter. I found that my smaller Carradice bags, usually a Nelson, lasted "only" 25 years of daily use. The side pockets would develop holes from tools poking at them, the cotton ties in the centre would rot, and the canvas itself would rot or wear holes.

Conclusion - seldom used items last a lot longer than those used every day, but 25 years of daily use is pretty good value for money.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

My 20 year old unnamed dirt cheap pair from Halfords which I've just put on Freecycle are positive youngsters, it seems.
John
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I had a set of karrimor kalahari panniers and barbag in the 80s. The barbag frayed and was replaced by karimmor, it went again ten years later and replaced with caradice. The panniers are still in use but without the bungee cords.
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

Atlhough the panniers themselves have long since departed, I still use for various jobs around the garden the unique double bungee cords with clip which came with my mid-1970s Karrimor panniers.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Camper Longflap bought in '78
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

So there's a good chance that my recently purchased Carradice Junior should see me through.
John
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Some impressively long-lasting luggage. It's no surprise to me that most is Carradice with some Karrimor, for a few reasons. It would be interesting to see how many answers come back Ortlieb in 20 years' time (my guess would be quite a lot). It's a great shame what's happened to Karrimor, Carradice deserve a big vote of appreciation for sticking with decent quality at non-exorbitant prices.

My personal answer is a pair of Agus from IIRC 2004. Although I gave them to someone a few years ago, who used them daily for a while but hasn't been cycling for some time due to an accident. In any case, positive youngsters compared to many here.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The new ones
WP_20200629_10_47_14_Pro.jpg
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Some impressively long-lasting luggage. It's no surprise to me that most is Carradice with some Karrimor, for a few reasons. It would be interesting to see how many answers come back Ortlieb in 20 years' time (my guess would be quite a lot). It's a great shame what's happened to Karrimor, Carradice deserve a big vote of appreciation for sticking with decent quality at non-exorbitant prices.

My personal answer is a pair of Agus from IIRC 2004. Although I gave them to someone a few years ago, who used them daily for a while but hasn't been cycling for some time due to an accident. In any case, positive youngsters compared to many here.

My current panniers are AGU as you can get a joined pair and I needed that as I have a battery on my rack. I also wanted waterproof. I have been delighted. They are not shiny polyurethane but treated cotton.
John
RobC

Post by RobC »

This somewhat frayed and repaired carradice handlebar bag from the 1940s is still doing sterling service for me, though admittedly not daily.
133B2C91-C96B-4349-9FB7-4941016625C9.jpeg
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

RobC wrote:This somewhat frayed and repaired carradice handlebar bag from the 1940s is still doing sterling service for me, though admittedly not daily. 133B2C91-C96B-4349-9FB7-4941016625C9.jpeg

thats bad. You should send it to them to put in a museum and maybe they will send you a new one out of pity :wink: