chain tensioners for Shimano Afline

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

chain tensioners for Shimano Afline

Post by simonineaston »

So, I've always wanted to try an Alfine in a Moulton frame. The parts are on their way and I take the usual precaution of having a gander on the 'net to see what people say on the subject. Blow me down if I don't see not one, but two chain tensioners, from Shimano themselves, branded Alfine and even instruction pdfs, describing how to mount them alongside the hub gear itself. The CT-S500 has two jockey wheels and is as far as I can tell, spring loaded. The CT-S510 has a single jockey wheel.
Why might I need one of these, what are the differences between the two and will I suffer if I don't fit one?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Brucey

Re: chain tensioners for Shimano Afline

Post by Brucey »

the single pulley one is for a single chainring in a frame with vertical dropouts, and provides a small tension range to allow for chain wear. The twin pulley one is for when you are using 2x or 3x chainrings.

On a moulton with slotted dropouts and one chainring you shouldn't need either one.

The downside to using a tensioner is that there is more stuff on the bike, close to the road, to get dirty.

The plus side is that when you adjust the chain tension with a tensioner fitted, you don't need to mess with a rim brake, if that is what you have fitted; this is a bugbear with nearly every Moulton with rim brakes and no tensioner.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~