Good iPhone Road Bike holders suggestions

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
CJ64

Good iPhone Road Bike holders suggestions

Post by CJ64 »

Hi all

A guy at the bike shop suggested QUADLOCKS as a good option; a friend then mentioned that she’d read a few poor reviews on them

Having only just bought a bike (paying for it over the year) I won’t be able to invest in a Bike Computer just yet so will need to use my iPhone; as I don’t want to break the phone which options are the best and safest out there at the moment?

Many thanks
CJ
Jdsk

Re: Good iPhone Road Bike holders suggestions

Post by Jdsk »

Do you want an extra waterproof layer around the 'phone?

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I trusted nothing else but a Quadlock when I mounted my phone.
Very secure and a waterproof cover for the wet days.
If you’ve an old SE sized phone I no longer use mine :wink:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

I've got an iPhone 6S. I've also bought, and used, the following cases:

1. SP connect: https://sp-connect.co.uk/collections/bu ... 6406556770, I got a bundle. The actual case lives on the phone 24/7 and barely increases the thickness. It came with several mounts, for bars, stem top (which is on the bike now) thing to stick on car dashboard, Go Pro mount etc. There is no screen protector on it, so I can use the phone without (which I prefer). But the bundle came with a silicone slip on screen/rainguard. I don't usually bother with it on the bike, figuring I can just take the phone off the mount and put it in my pocket if it starts to rain. But if it looks like it might rain when I'm out, I'll take the silicone guard out with me, or even put it on at the start. Attaching the phone to the mount is super easy, it feels very very secure. This would be my first choice if I also wanted to use the phone as "normal". Which is what I do. The "back" case just feels like a normal slip on case, more or less.

2. Topeak Ridecase: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topeak-iPhone-6-Waterproof-Ridecase/dp/B00UXMR1Q6. Tough as old boots. The mount in particular is really good. Aluminium, feels really well engineered. The case engages with a really solid click, and takes a little bit of effort to get off - I'm sure it wouldn't come off accidentally. Advantage of the mount is adjustable for angle, so good for avoiding glare, maybe. And if mounted on the stem it puts the phone a little bit further forward. I've had it in the rain, it worked. There's even a little grommet thing to make the charging cable port waterproof (well, probably water resistant, technically), so theoretically you can be charging it in the rain. If I ever get on my tour of the Highlands this is what I'll take. Only drawback is it makes the phone a bit awkward to use as a "normal" phone while it's in the case, plus a lot bigger. Hence why this isn't my "day to day" case.

3. Topeak Drybag: https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/w ... one-drybag. Perfectly solid, and I'm sure waterproof. Uses the same mounts as the Ridecase. Presumably a bit cheaper, and if you usually use the phone "naked" (the phone, not you) it's easy to slip in and out. But if you like to have a case on the phone when it's off the bike, this might not work.

4. Catalyst: https://catalystcase.eu/collections/old ... 2533171247. Heavens, that's cheap. That price confirms what I've found before, accessories for old phones are dirt cheap, as manufacturers scramble to give them away. Anyway, it's not strictly a bike case, but I'm on a roll. You'd need something to mount it, but there are various silicone band type affairs. I've included it because I can absolutely verify it's waterproofness. For an art project my daughter wanted to take underwater photos. I tested it by putting tissue paper inside and putting it in the bath. It worked. We took it to the Outer Hebrides and she took umpteen photos, often in the surf with the extra pressure of waves. Not a drop inside.

Hope some of that is a help.
CJ64

Post by CJ64 »

Hi Jonathan

Yes, think that's a wise move in this country :)

Jdsk wrote:Do you want an extra waterproof layer around the 'phone?

Jonathan
CJ64

Post by CJ64 »

Thank you for the feedback

I have an iPhone 11 :( lol

I think the feedback was on Amazon which is why I thought it better to ask on here

Paulatic wrote:I trusted nothing else but a Quadlock when I mounted my phone.
Very secure and a waterproof cover for the wet days.
If you’ve an old SE sized phone I no longer use mine :wink:
CJ64

Post by CJ64 »

Yowzer! slow day? :D

Thanks for all the helpful feedback

The I currently use for the iPhone 11 is a Mouse

I certainly look into the first 2 options

Many thanks

mikeymo wrote:I've got an iPhone 6S. I've also bought, and used, the following cases:

1. SP connect: https://sp-connect.co.uk/collections/bu ... 6406556770, I got a bundle. The actual case lives on the phone 24/7 and barely increases the thickness. It came with several mounts, for bars, stem top (which is on the bike now) thing to stick on car dashboard, Go Pro mount etc. There is no screen protector on it, so I can use the phone without (which I prefer). But the bundle came with a silicone slip on screen/rainguard. I don't usually bother with it on the bike, figuring I can just take the phone off the mount and put it in my pocket if it starts to rain. But if it looks like it might rain when I'm out, I'll take the silicone guard out with me, or even put it on at the start. Attaching the phone to the mount is super easy, it feels very very secure. This would be my first choice if I also wanted to use the phone as "normal". Which is what I do. The "back" case just feels like a normal slip on case, more or less.

2. Topeak Ridecase: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topeak-iPhone-6-Waterproof-Ridecase/dp/B00UXMR1Q6. Tough as old boots. The mount in particular is really good. Aluminium, feels really well engineered. The case engages with a really solid click, and takes a little bit of effort to get off - I'm sure it wouldn't come off accidentally. Advantage of the mount is adjustable for angle, so good for avoiding glare, maybe. And if mounted on the stem it puts the phone a little bit further forward. I've had it in the rain, it worked. There's even a little grommet thing to make the charging cable port waterproof (well, probably water resistant, technically), so theoretically you can be charging it in the rain. If I ever get on my tour of the Highlands this is what I'll take. Only drawback is it makes the phone a bit awkward to use as a "normal" phone while it's in the case, plus a lot bigger. Hence why this isn't my "day to day" case.

3. Topeak Drybag: https://www.topeak.com/us/en/products/w ... one-drybag. Perfectly solid, and I'm sure waterproof. Uses the same mounts as the Ridecase. Presumably a bit cheaper, and if you usually use the phone "naked" (the phone, not you) it's easy to slip in and out. But if you like to have a case on the phone when it's off the bike, this might not work.

4. Catalyst: https://catalystcase.eu/collections/old ... 2533171247. Heavens, that's cheap. That price confirms what I've found before, accessories for old phones are dirt cheap, as manufacturers scramble to give them away. Anyway, it's not strictly a bike case, but I'm on a roll. You'd need something to mount it, but there are various silicone band type affairs. I've included it because I can absolutely verify it's waterproofness. For an art project my daughter wanted to take underwater photos. I tested it by putting tissue paper inside and putting it in the bath. It worked. We took it to the Outer Hebrides and she took umpteen photos, often in the surf with the extra pressure of waves. Not a drop inside.

Hope some of that is a help.
s2vmx

Post by s2vmx »

I have a iphone 8 plus and use the quadlock system - both types :a handle bar mount on one cycle and the stem mount on another. The system works well. Also got a mount in the Campervan.

You have a case that fits on to the back of the phone with the quad lock on it that clips into the mount, there is also a clear plastic cover that slips onto the face of the phone to provide additional waterproofing, (you can still operate the phone). Only drawback is its a bit pricey but when i changed phones I just had to buy the new size case and cover.

Ive has the system about 2 years with no issues apart from forgetting to take the clear cover with me sometimes.

Hope that helps

Stu
CJ64

Post by CJ64 »

Yes it does thank you!

The positives from actual cyclists gives me more confidence in opting for the Quadlock (I still have a day left to use the 5% discount offer too lol)

s2vmx wrote:I have a iphone 8 plus and use the quadlock system - both types :a handle bar mount on one cycle and the stem mount on another. The system works well. Also got a mount in the Campervan.

You have a case that fits on to the back of the phone with the quad lock on it that clips into the mount, there is also a clear plastic cover that slips onto the face of the phone to provide additional waterproofing, (you can still operate the phone). Only drawback is its a bit pricey but when i changed phones I just had to buy the new size case and cover.

Ive has the system about 2 years with no issues apart from forgetting to take the clear cover with me sometimes.

Hope that helps

Stu
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

CJ64 wrote:Yowzer! slow day? :D

Not really, I just copied it from an earlier thread asking the same question.
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Personally I think the best place for your phone is in your bag, but when i have to add one to my bar or stem it'sa +1 for Quadlocks. I've used one my old Galaxy S5 and now on an Iphone XR. Both aren't small phones but they're solid as can be. In fact I leave the Quadlock holder on all the time as it's slim enough not to be obtrusive and gives the phone an extra layer of protection. I also have a 'waterproof' (I use term very loosely) cover. As I've just implied take waterproof bit with a pinch of salt, but it'll stave off the worst of it.
CJ64

Post by CJ64 »

Thank you

NickWi wrote:Personally I think the best place for your phone is in your bag, but when i have to add one to my bar or stem it'sa +1 for Quadlocks. I've used one my old Galaxy S5 and now on an Iphone XR. Both aren't small phones but they're solid as can be. In fact I leave the Quadlock holder on all the time as it's slim enough not to be obtrusive and gives the phone an extra layer of protection. I also have a 'waterproof' (I use term very loosely) cover. As I've just implied take waterproof bit with a pinch of salt, but it'll stave off the worst of it.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

I also use a Topeak ridecase on my iphone 6s, it's brilliant apart from one thing:

When it's in the case it is very difficult to hear or be heard during a phone call.
I get around this by using a bluetooth headphone.

In the rain the touch screen works perfectly so does the fingerprint recognition and the case is completely waterproof to 2m IF you have the silicone grommets closed.
The topeak mounting system seems very solid and durable.

HTH
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

A couple of bargain basement suggestions.

A little top tube bag from likes of eBay (my local Asda gloves them as well) that's sits behind stem on top tube. Less than a tenner usually. And can take keys, card too

A runners armband, but wrap around the stem etc instead of your arm. A bit more of a faff than a bag. If you can get hold of any of that firm foam used in packaging then you cut and could use that as a backing.

My phone lives in my jersey pocket unless it's raining hard then it goes in the bag. I bought a lezyne macro gps computer for about £65 which does the computery stuff.
And alerts me when calls, texts etc come in.

May not be much more expensive than a quadlock
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

quad lock from me - did a brilliant job, and the phone wasn't overly bulky when off the bike.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.