Is a Moulton a fair weather Bike.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
tinyworld

Is a Moulton a fair weather Bike.

Post by tinyworld »

I used mine today. It was fine when I started out, then of course it started to rain. I would not normally us it if it is going to rain, cleaning it would test the patience of a saint. All bikes are a pain to wash but the Moulton excels. So is the Moulton a fair weather bike.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Is a Moulton a fair weather Bike.

Post by Mick F »

I have a TSR and have big wide mudguards. Yes, the bike is more difficult to clean, but I'd rather ride my TSR in the rain than my Mercian.

Main issue with a Moulton in the mucky weather, is the transmission - especially the chain - and it needs cleaning and lubing almost daily. Having small wheels and a derailleur, the bottom run of the chain is only an inch or so off the road, and it's right next to the rear tyre.
Mick F. Cornwall
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Most of my Moultons have had hub gears... get round the cleaning issue by doing so regularly - I clean them once year. :wink: Agree that the more mudguard area employed the better. At the moment the tyre / brake combo in use, means only the front wheel has a mudguard - the back is just too tight for a 'guard... :-( Other than that, no problem - indeed the issue that concerns me most regarding rain is to get a cover on the saddle so the hide doesn't get wet.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I have a 17" wheel Moulton and with it's long front mudflap it is my bike of choice for wet weather as it keeps me cleaner than any of my other bikes, even with long mudguards and flaps. It's fair to say that it is more work to clean but as I don't clean it very often it's not something I really think about.
AM7

Post by AM7 »

Only you can answer that question! If you like your bikes to be fastidiously clean but don’t enjoy cleaning them, then a spaceframe Moulton probably is a fair weather bike. For myself, my bikes are tools not jewels, so I give my Moulton’s a wipe or hose down when they get too mucky, but otherwise just enjoy riding them :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote:Main issue with a Moulton in the mucky weather, is the transmission - especially the chain - and it needs cleaning and lubing almost daily.e.

Just admit it mick, this is the main reason you like it.
A cruel cruel mistress.

By the by i have a dahon speed pro with a rear mech. That too of course picks up a lot of muck.
Sweep
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Agree with most of the above. A spaceframe is more cleaning, that's for sure, but If like me you hardly ever clean a bike that's not really a deal-breaker. Or you could get a Flyte and avoid the spaceframe issue. Mudguards are even more of a must than most bikes as the small wheels seem to spray more water into more places than big wheels. There may or may not be science in this, but I'm not getting caught in one of those Scientific Method threads today...

The big issue is chain close to the road, especially with the modern big sprockets and long mechs, and particularly if you like to leave the tarmac. A hub gear is much the best thing for a small-wheeler. One day when the bank balance can stand it I will have a Moulton with a Rohloff, mostly for this reason, and then all the planets will be in alignment.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

The OP doesn't state whether he's referring to a 17" or a 20" wheeled Moulton. I wonder however that the protection offered by the mudguards is not the same, as the mudflap on the 17" models is very close to the ground. The length of the front mudflap is critical to getting good protection as witnessed by my wife's Moulton on which the front mudflap gave up the ghost. As I am the only one who ever does any maintenance on it I was shocked at the difference in muck in general and the state of the transmission compared to my one. I have since made a suitable replacement and all is well again. This of course applies to all bikes but is particularly relevant with a small wheeled bike where the transmission is closer to the ground and I suspect that the fact that the wheels are rotating faster means that water being thrown off is at a higher velocity.

But to answer the original question as far as I'm concerned the Moulton is not in any way a fair weather bike. It is best all-rounder of all my bikes.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Well, that's a rare moment of gentle accord, I must say - us Moultoneers seem all to agree that a) a Moulton is not easy to clean and b) that doesn't deter any of us from riding in the rain - all we need now is a non-Moultoneer to come along and tell us that we're all wrong!! :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

I'm sure philvantwo will be along shortly!
Two saddles best!
tinyworld

Post by tinyworld »

Damn should have put a smiley face on the end. Said bike is a TSR 20” wheel, spaceframe. :wink:
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

Just had a quick check on mine, 406 Jubilee with a 105 11-speed mech and a 34t largest sprocket. With the chain in bottom gear, not only is the bottom of the mech cage only 32mm from the ground, the inside bottom of the mech cage is only 13mm from the tyre at its nearest. No wonder chains get crapped up!
Two saddles best!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

speedsixdave wrote:I'm sure philvantwo will be along shortly!
:lol: :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
My 20" wheel TSR has a rolling diameter of only 18.2"
Bottom gear is 34/28 with a long cage rear mech.

Not accurately measured the distances from the road and the tyre, but as SpeedSix has suggested, it's not much at all.
Go through a puddle, and the chain is in the water.
Mick F. Cornwall
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

A Moulton is no more a fair weather bike than anything else.
Fit full length mudguards, and mudflaps and you will be fine.
I found a car wash brush with long very soft bristles works fine for cleaning them. certainly no more difficult to clean than anything else
I used to commute in all weathers and surfaces.
The only thing I would/am wary of is just banging though big puddles. The small wheels are more susceptible to disappearing into big holes which can be hidden by water.
I'm another one with hub gears so drivechain wear is not a massive issue for me