A mask in your bike bag?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
foxyrider

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Post by foxyrider »

yes there is a mask in my bag 'just in case' i need to go in a shop or use the trains. So far its stayed in the bag.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

No mask, don't wear one and will never be forced to wear one, given it's a request based on no science whatsoever it's ludicrous that so many sheeple are complying!
There's TWELVE times lower risk of dying WITH a positive for something (but not FROM) currently than the peak deaths FROM respiratory disease in 2018!
People talking about this that and the other and compliance but so much else that poses greater threat of harm to individuals and wider society/public health is ignored, the hypocrisy is staggering but not the least surprising from the brain dead in society.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The utility cyclist wrote:No mask, don't wear one and will never be forced to wear one, given it's a request based on no science whatsoever it's ludicrous that so many sheeple are complying!
There's TWELVE times lower risk of dying WITH a positive for something (but not FROM) currently than the peak deaths FROM respiratory disease in 2018!
People talking about this that and the other and compliance but so much else that poses greater threat of harm to individuals and wider society/public health is ignored, the hypocrisy is staggering but not the least surprising from the brain dead in society.

One day, I'm sure, the whole scientific and medical world will say, "He was right, after all".

Wearing a mask is not about you.
John
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Oldjohnw wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:No mask, don't wear one and will never be forced to wear one, given it's a request based on no science whatsoever it's ludicrous that so many sheeple are complying!

One day, I'm sure, the whole scientific and medical world will say, "He was right, after all".

I don't think that day will come!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The utility cyclist wrote:There's TWELVE times lower risk of dying WITH a positive for something (but not FROM) currently than the peak deaths FROM respiratory disease in 2018!

With a positive what for what thing? Your sentence doesn't make sense.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:There's TWELVE times lower risk of dying WITH a positive for something (but not FROM) currently than the peak deaths FROM respiratory disease in 2018!

Take it to the "arguing about stats" topic, please. Getting sense from TUC's half-quotes and misdirects is literally a whole discussion in itself.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=136714
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
millimole

Post by millimole »

I tend to agree that the scientific basis of mask wearing is somewhat shaky, and I certainly believe that there are other very serious public health issues that are ignored - and have been for a long time.
But unlike you I'm a rule taker, not a rule breaker. So, for a quiet life, and, on the basis that society is generally better for adherence to society's rules I'll be one of your sheep
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
The utility cyclist

Oldjohnw wrote:

Wearing masks is nothing to do with me or you or anyone else, it's not about public health in the slightest!

Not wearing is about standing up to the utter criminals using bunk science or no science whatsoever to force people against their will to do something that removes their innate rights. It's about all of us returning to what we had before, for all its flaws, what is happening now is sheer madness, it's also criminal and isn't based on anything except flawed science/methodology, many top scientists/experts globally have denounced the (over)reaction and the actual threat.
Masks/face coverings were solely brought in by Boris on the basis of giving shoppers more confidence, it does precisely the reverse.

There is no scientific logic behind face coverings, there's no evidence that face coverings are required or in fact serve any purpose except to aid a government in the sense of being seen to do something even if utterly pointless from a positive sense, this from a government that we know have absolutely no idea what they're doing and are unable to run the country, they rely on so called 'experts' whom are too @@@@ scared to actually think and use logic or proper science, or like Ferguson are known fantasists using modelling based on yet more flawed 'science'. he and ICL have loads of history of their fantasy modelling!
The utility cyclist

Bmblbzzz wrote:

A positive for something, that means it could be anything, the test cannot isolate the alleged virus strain, we know this is a scientific fact, the test gives a positive for dead organic matter (admitted by WHO), so the positive could be a for a whole host of things that are not a virus strain described as SARS-COV-2, so the test tests a positive for something but we cannot be sure what that something is as false positives are so ridiculously frequent and no virus strain has been actually isolated using proper science.

Avail yourself of some actual proper science, not the BS coming out from various government/WHO controlled quarters.
The utility cyclist

millimole wrote:
I tend to agree that the scientific basis of mask wearing is somewhat shaky, and I certainly believe that there are other very serious public health issues that are ignored - and have been for a long time.
But unlike you I'm a rule taker, not a rule breaker. So, for a quiet life, and, on the basis that society is generally better for adherence to society's rules I'll be one of your sheep

I'm not breaking any rules, wearing a face covering is a request. There is no evidence that society is better for adherence, zero, in fact the actions/threats are doing massively more harm. Locking down and removing care in hospitals and in the community has done massively more harm, that's before you even get to killing off the economy and the half a trillion £ debt created!

Adhering to 'rules' that don't exist is part of the whole problem, happy clapping whilst ignoring facts, facts that actually is collated by a government organisation that proves the threat has never been more than any flu season.

Your not my sheep, you're one of the governments sheep.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

The utility cyclist wrote:There is no scientific logic behind face coverings...

"Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis"
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

The utility cyclist wrote:I'm not breaking any rules, wearing a face covering is a request. There is no evidence that society is better for adherence, zero, in fact the actions/threats are doing massively more harm. Locking down and removing care in hospitals and in the community has done massively more harm, that's before you even get to killing off the economy and the half a trillion £ debt created!

It's a rule in some situations, brought in by law, and there is some evidence that it helps and less evidence that it harms - not conclusive yet, but a massive global experiment is currently underway!

Why not concentrate rallying support on the more definite failings in care and unnecessary ways that the economy has been harmed, rather than waste your time fanning the mask flames before there's anything conclusive to use on it? What are your priorities?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Jdsk wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:There is no scientific logic behind face coverings...

"Physical distancing, face masks, and eye protection to prevent person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2 and COVID-19: a systematic review and meta-analysis"
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

Jonathan

They’re lying (according to TUC):
The utility cyclist wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I guess 99% of scientists are wrong, yet again. [/sarcasm]

99% of scientists are too afraid to reveal the truth because they want to keep their jobs...
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

the far eastern countries are very good at doing this , but they dont wear them because they are frightened of what they might get, but they dont want to pass on the virus if they are asymptomatic. Which is the way we should be thinking
NUKe

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The utility cyclist wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:

A positive for something, that means it could be anything, the test cannot isolate the alleged virus strain, we know this is a scientific fact, the test gives a positive for dead organic matter (admitted by WHO), so the positive could be a for a whole host of things that are not a virus strain described as SARS-COV-2, so the test tests a positive for something but we cannot be sure what that something is as false positives are so ridiculously frequent and no virus strain has been actually isolated using proper science.

Avail yourself of some actual proper science, not the BS coming out from various government/WHO controlled quarters.

There are three types of test for viral infection: for antigens, antibodies and the genetic matter of the virus itself. They are all specific to the virus being tested for. This doesn't mean they're necessarily reliable - that depends on how they're conducted, among other things - but the "dead organic matter" is very specific.