A mask in your bike bag?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Oldjohnw

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Post by Oldjohnw »

The nature of science, unlike political ideology, is that views do shift as further evidence emerges.

There is no such thing as "the science" except in government ministers' minds. Not a place I'd like to visit.
John
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I forgot to include anything about space invaders. My observation is that in public at least, most people have been compliant, with the obvious exception of the growing number of occasional crowds.

OTOH, some people who have continued working travel two or three-up in vans. It's no surprise to me that if they stop to go into a shop eg to buy cigs and confectionary, then they don't disperse to two metre gaps.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I carry a mask in my bike bag always just in case I have an unfixable at the roadside problem and have to thumb a lift. More likely to get one if seen to have a mask I think. Walking any distance is not an option for me and a trike is even more problematic.
Our local shops all have signs saying no mask no service and the small supermarket has a door monitor who will turn you away without face covering. Given the large number of tourists from unknown areas many are terrified and pleased that at least there is some protection in having them wearing masks. Mostly I use a buff but carry a mask and gloves anyway and hand sanitiser is always in the car anyway.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Waiting for Carradice to make masks, waxed cotton should keep any bugs out. :)
May a special mask bag for the handle bars ?

Swrve here in the Colonies, already has wool masks, will be handy this winter.
Rapha will have their Paul Smith Masque of the Red Death Special Limited Edition
available any day now.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Hilltrek are advertising them in Ventile®

If my experience of delivery times is typical, they should arrive in time for the third wave.
oomilegs

Post by oomilegs »

All this talk of evidence and science, of what Boris did and what Boris did next, and even what Boris will do in the future when hundreds of call are made to the Police... is all rubbish.

We were not told to wear them when we didn't even have sufficient for the NHS.

Now we have a few spare, possibly even enough for the second spike, we are now told we should wear them.

When the police are inundated with calls from supermarkets and can't cope they'll use some twisted version of the statistics to prove we don't need them.

Its common sense, not rocket science.

Me, I've worn one from the start of lockdown, and will continue to do so.
Paul G
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

As much as I dislike Boris and his advisers (he's as bad in another way as Corbyn and his advisers or supporters IMHO) I'm not so biased as to blame him for this u turn on face coverings.

WHO and virtually all public health officials possibly outside of parts of Asia didn't advise on wearing face coverings if you're a member of the general public. That's WHO, Dr Fauci in USA and UK advisers too. Now there's more evidence on this virus. It's significantly more infectious than that initially thought. It's also at its most infectious 48 hours typically before symptoms show. Also they've discovered you can be completely asymptomatic and still shedding virus particles. They now know it can multiply and spread from the throat instead of needing to develop lower down your respiratory tract I read. So these things were discovered as more evidence came in. With the best scientific advise at the beginning it's easy to see how the advice could be wrong. The best scientific advise now should be better.

Now the experts have done a u turn on face cherries p coverings? So blaming politicians for that is simply fitting things to your political bias IMHO. And that's from someone with only hatred for Boris and his cronies. But does that mean you should or should not wear masks? IMHO reusable and washable masks should be worn. They're more effective than buffs and scarves so just wear them and keep your buffs for emergencies. That's what I'm doing.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Walz Caps have also been making masks.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:WHO and virtually all public health officials possibly outside of parts of Asia didn't advise on wearing face coverings if you're a member of the general public. That's WHO, Dr Fauci in USA and UK advisers too.

Firstly, the UK hasn't really felt bound by WHO advice on loads of other topics (including basic stuff like the distance) so why hide behind them on this?

Secondly, "Dr Fauci in USA and UK advisers" is not "virtually all public health officials possibly outside of parts of Asia". Those of us who read/watch/listen news directly from other places saw this unfolding:

· Slovakia required masks in shops 15 March, coverings when going out at all 25 March, dropped requirement for sparse outdoor areas 20 May - Czechia differed by a few days
· Vietnam required masks 16 March
· Hong Kong recommended surgical masks 22 March
· US CDC recommended face coverings 3 April, the same day as Singapore!
· WHO advised on mask benefits (and drawbacks) 6 April, recommended 5 June
· Germany recommended coverings for all from 2 April
· Belgium advised cloth not surgical masks 3 April, required coverings 4 May, distributed free ones to residents
· Italy required masks in some regions from 6 April
· Austria required covering in shops and transport 14 April
· Scotland recommended covering 28 April, required 10 July
· Spain required coverings 4 May
· France recommended and subsidised coverings 8 May
· Ireland recommended masks 18 May
· England finally advised face coverings 11 May, recommended them 8 June and will require in shops from 24 July!

It may surprise people that places including Japan, South Korea and Malaysia have not required masks by law during this pandemic because they already achieved 85+% usage even without any government instruction.

Now the experts have done a u turn on face cherries p coverings?

Pardon?

So blaming politicians for that is simply fitting things to your political bias IMHO. And that's from someone with only hatred for Boris and his cronies.

Boris has been slower to act than Benin, Bosnia, Bulgaria and loads of places not beginning with B. I think some criticism is absolutely fair. Not only was Boris's executive not recommending masks, in early March, it was actively discouraging them: "In terms of wearing a mask, our advice is clear: that wearing a mask if you don’t have an infection reduces the risk almost not at all. So we do not advise that." That was technically correct but misleading because we don't know who has an infection until symptoms show...

But does that mean you should or should not wear masks? IMHO reusable and washable masks should be worn. They're more effective than buffs and scarves so just wear them and keep your buffs for emergencies. That's what I'm doing.

On this, I agree.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Masks I get, gloves I don't.

What use are gloves for Jo/anne Public apart from adding to the plastic waste mountain? If your gloves get the virus, you take one off with gloved hand, but then have to take the other off without gloved hand so you need to wash hands immediately. If you can wash hands, why do you need gloves?

Out on my bike at the weekend and noticed plenty of bright blue gloves littering the countryside. Maybe ex farm workers, probably not.
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

Masks are required by the government to encourage people to go out and shop and boost the economy.
I've seen all manner of incorrect mask use (even whilst being unlucky enough to accompany somebody in and out of hospital last week)
I'll carry a buff as a face covering for use when required.
Just like 'crash helmets' they ain't going to protect you or anyone else if you aren't using your brain.
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Whatever the effectiveness of a mask they will be required on public transport and in shops whether we like it or not.

Our group recommends carrying a mask as you may need to go into a shop or if a big mechanical happens a train home maybe required. Seems like a sound suggestion to me.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonhill wrote:Masks I get, gloves I don't.

What use are gloves for Jo/anne Public apart from adding to the plastic waste mountain? If your gloves get the virus, you take one off with gloved hand, but then have to take the other off without gloved hand so you need to wash hands immediately. If you can wash hands, why do you need gloves?

Out on my bike at the weekend and noticed plenty of bright blue gloves littering the countryside. Maybe ex farm workers, probably not.

How to remove contaminated gloves without contaminating your skin:
https://youtu.be/ATU383lIfT8

Gloves, like masks, are there as much to protect others as yourself. On entering a shop, wash your hands with alcohol-based sanitizer (carry a small bottle with you, like you carry a mask) then put your gloves on immediately. Then there's much less chance of spreading viruses and bacteria from your hands onto items in the shop, and from them to your hands (and thus face).

Reusable cotton gloves can be bought from Boots for £2.99. Get two pairs, one for today, one for tomorrow. Or maybe three pairs. Wash after use, like you wash your reusable facemask.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Many people work on the principle that if we all just protect ourselves nothing can spread and that's dead right. It only falls down if people don't bother.
That is a perfectly valid approach hence some peoples lack of enthusiasm for the restrictions.
Whilst I may not agree I can't object to that as one people opinion is as valid as another's.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

All opinions do not have equal value, although a person's right to actually hold an opinion is equal.

The opinion of a climate change denier, an anti-vaxxer or a paedophile are not valid in a climate change discussion, vaccination debate or the right to whatever behaviour I like.
John