A mask in your bike bag?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
francovendee

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby francovendee » 23 Jul 2020, 7:57am

Yes, we both keep masks in the bike bag and in the car.
I think there should be a campaign to show how a mask should be worn properly.
Too many people think a mask is a talisman and will offer protection so long as it's hung on some part of the face.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 23 Jul 2020, 8:47am

francovendee wrote:YI think there should be a campaign to show how a mask should be worn properly.

Yes, a competent policy would have shown this simply, consistently and repeatedly.

Jonathan

simonhill

Postby simonhill » 25 Jul 2020, 8:23pm

Maybe also make sure you have a contactless card with you as well.

Yesterday I was out on a ride that (nearly) ends at a pub. Halfway round I realised I only had my usual emergency tenner on me. Fortunately the pub took cash, but not all, or shops, etc, do.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 25 Jul 2020, 9:08pm

I wonder what the legal situation is with regard to refusing cash? Won't worry me as a card is easy to carry but my father hasn't got one of any sort.
Could be awkward if yiu "bought" something non returnable like fuel and then a card was asked for.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 25 Jul 2020, 9:16pm

John, i can' t agree with your first two as climate change is only very likely to be a problem (although something i rant on about) and the anti vac thing is personal and to many trivial.
Your opinions I salute. The assumption that they are the only valid ones, I reject.
The arguement that if we all kept ourselves safe has validity in that it doesn't rely on people caring for others which is a futile if worthwhile hope. Just look at our climate :)

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 25 Jul 2020, 9:21pm

Interesting variations of outlook here. All valid. Some people doing more than others as is the way of things. Some are doing more in different ways. Each to their own.
I wonder whst responses would be if masks were not compulsory. We all have rules we agree with and reject.
My personal objections are to rules that enforce me to look after my own safety and ones that are for a certain sector of society but can't be called that. :roll:

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 25 Jul 2020, 9:26pm

I have a buff, with a built in PPE filter, and a gripper bar for the nose. That suffices. I’ve used it ‘in anger’ for the first time this weekend.

Marcus Aurelius

Postby Marcus Aurelius » 25 Jul 2020, 9:31pm

francovendee wrote:Yes, we both keep masks in the bike bag and in the car.
I think there should be a campaign to show how a mask should be worn properly.
Too many people think a mask is a talisman and will offer protection so long as it's hung on some part of the face.

I lost count of the numbers of people who just hung the masks loosely around their necks, and / or didn’t cover their noses yesterday ( even on public transport) I know there are people who are exempted from wearing a covering, due to various medical reasons, but if they have one hanging uselessly from their neck, that marks them out as a massive tool, as they clearly know they must have one, but don’t fancy using it effectively.

Farrina

Postby Farrina » 25 Jul 2020, 10:24pm

thirdcrank wrote:It's hardly a burden to carry a mask, but the belated introduction of the requirement has reminded me of the dangers to public health from government policies decided by spinners. If masks in shops are important, and I like to keep an open mind, then they must surely have been important all along.

I absolutely agree 100% with your comments - masks/gloves IMHO by providing false reassurance seem to encourage risky behaviour. The number of times I have observed people masking/gloving up and cleaning shopping trolley handles only to remove them to answerphone/scratch nose etc ...

What happened to good old common sense ?

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 25 Jul 2020, 10:38pm

I have just been watching the old Bond film 'you only live twice' on the box and in the film Bond tackles a Japanese assassin wearing a face mask. I wonder, were these common in Japan, even in the 1960s?

Bond subsequently, improbably (we are expected to believe that six foot tall Bond has the same size feet as a much smaller Japanese assassin, he pinches his shoes) -and rather unhygienically- disguises himself as the assassin by donning the (used) facemask; are the germs killed by a swig of vodka later on....?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 25 Jul 2020, 10:41pm

Brucey wrote:I have just been watching the old Bond film 'you only live twice' on the box and in the film Bond tackles a Japanese assassin wearing a face mask. I wonder, were these common in Japan, even in the 1960s?

Yes.

And in the book (1964) there are some very interesting observations on Japanese culture as seen by a well-travelled European.

Jonathan

Tangled Metal

Postby Tangled Metal » 25 Jul 2020, 10:48pm

Mask based rant coming up!

Supermarket today people were wearing masks. Mostly ok but mostly disposable masks, not good for planet. Others were wearing masks with valves. You know those plastic circular things that open up when breathing out but close to stop stuff getting in. Then there's dodgy homemade mask where it fitted the top of the nose very nicely but went almost straight out such that you can see their mouth. Then there's the free nose types and the drop the mask types to hike a conversation or answer a phone or stand in the checkout queue.

There does need to be an education program because people don't all seem to know what they should know about masks I reckon.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 25 Jul 2020, 10:52pm

Tangled Metal wrote:There does need to be an education program because people don't all seem to know what they should know about masks I reckon.

And whatever mistakes have been made in previous policy we should try to get it right from where we are now.

Jonathan

mjr

Postby mjr » 25 Jul 2020, 10:54pm

mattsccm wrote:I wonder what the legal situation is with regard to refusing cash? Won't worry me as a card is easy to carry but my father hasn't got one of any sort.
Could be awkward if yiu "bought" something non returnable like fuel and then a card was asked for.

No legal problems whatsoever. It is for the customer to check they can pay in a way the seller will accept before loading or consuming.

Sunak announced back in February or so that he would introduce legislation to require retailers accept cash (presumably sterling) alongside whatever other payment forms, but he didn't before lockdown and I think that idea's dead now. If I didn't have a card, I'd get a prepaid one now.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.

millimole

Postby millimole » 26 Jul 2020, 7:58am

Jdsk wrote:
francovendee wrote:YI think there should be a campaign to show how a mask should be worn properly.

Yes, a competent policy would have shown this simply, consistently and repeatedly.

Jonathan
Indeed - lack of clear instruction and explanation has got us to the muddled point we are now at.

I'm a mask sceptic, but rules are rules, and I'm not buying into the American idiocy of anti everything in the name of so called freedom.

But the inconsistent policy summersaulting of the government and their late introduction of policies has led to mistrust and confusion.

While mask wearing is generally accepted as evidenced by widespread adoption, the reasons for the rules are very poorly understood - and this is why we see masks with valves, noses uncovered, and filthy disposable masks in constant reuse.
The lack of clarity about the reasons for masks - it's too suppress the spread of droplets - leads to overthinking by some (complicated mask fitment) and minimal compliance by others ("I'll just cover my mouth")
There is no single solution - a perspex wipeable face shield is as good as a washable niqab.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Audaxing on my Dawes; Riding to work on a Decathlon Hoprider