A mask in your bike bag?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk
Posts: 1309
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby Jdsk » 29 Jul 2020, 2:49pm

Bmblbzzz wrote:There are three types of test for viral infection: for antigens, antibodies and the genetic matter of the virus itself. They are all specific to the virus being tested for.

I wouldn't word it quite that way: how about the nucleic acid sequence of the virus, some other antigenic marker of the virus, and antibodies.

The specificity of the antibody for the target virus needs to be tested for each antibody.

Jonathan

CliveyT
Posts: 313
Joined: 13 Jun 2012, 2:55pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby CliveyT » 29 Jul 2020, 3:47pm

The utility cyclist wrote:A positive for something, that means it could be anything, the test cannot isolate the alleged virus strain, we know this is a scientific fact, the test gives a positive for dead organic matter (admitted by WHO)

Specifically dead organic matter that was an infected cell- it's the viral RNA contained within those cells that's being picked up in the test
,
The utility cyclist wrote:so the positive could be a for a whole host of things that are not a virus strain described as SARS-COV-2, so the test tests a positive for something but we cannot be sure what that something is as false positives are so ridiculously frequent

false positives are incredibly rare in the PCR assay being used for diagnosis at the moment. None of the primers cross-react with any of the other circulating coronaviruses that we know of. False negatives are an issue but that's probably down to issues with sampling.
The utility cyclist wrote: and no virus strain has been actually isolated using proper science.

Apart maybe from the several thousand viral sequences I have on my computer that I've been analyzing this am? All of which came from UK residents who tested positive using the above test

The utility cyclist wrote:Avail yourself of some actual proper science,

That's what I've spent my morning doing

Jdsk
Posts: 1309
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby Jdsk » 29 Jul 2020, 4:09pm

CliveyT wrote:Apart maybe from the several thousand viral sequences I have on my computer that I've been analyzing this am? All of which came from UK residents who tested positive using the above test

That few? ; - )

Great post. Thanks.

Jonathan

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4674
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby Oldjohnw » 29 Jul 2020, 4:12pm

CliveyT wrote:
The utility cyclist wrote:A positive for something, that means it could be anything, the test cannot isolate the alleged virus strain, we know this is a scientific fact, the test gives a positive for dead organic matter (admitted by WHO)

Specifically dead organic matter that was an infected cell- it's the viral RNA contained within those cells that's being picked up in the test
,
The utility cyclist wrote:so the positive could be a for a whole host of things that are not a virus strain described as SARS-COV-2, so the test tests a positive for something but we cannot be sure what that something is as false positives are so ridiculously frequent

false positives are incredibly rare in the PCR assay being used for diagnosis at the moment. None of the primers cross-react with any of the other circulating coronaviruses that we know of. False negatives are an issue but that's probably down to issues with sampling.
The utility cyclist wrote: and no virus strain has been actually isolated using proper science.

Apart maybe from the several thousand viral sequences I have on my computer that I've been analyzing this am? All of which came from UK residents who tested positive using the above test

The utility cyclist wrote:Avail yourself of some actual proper science,

That's what I've spent my morning doing


Talking of proper science, I was wondering if the UC's "99% of scientists are lieing to us" has some science behind it.
John

Jdsk
Posts: 1309
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby Jdsk » 29 Jul 2020, 4:13pm

That few? ; - )

Jonathan

CliveyT
Posts: 313
Joined: 13 Jun 2012, 2:55pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby CliveyT » 29 Jul 2020, 4:22pm

Oldjohnw wrote:Talking of proper science, I was wondering if the UC's "99% of scientists are lieing to us" has some science behind it.


I could answer that but how would you know if I was telling the truth :wink:

David9694
Posts: 602
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 8:42am

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby David9694 » 29 Jul 2020, 4:23pm

The utility cyclist wrote:No mask, don't wear one and will never be forced to wear one, given it's a request based on no science whatsoever it's ludicrous that so many sheeple are complying!
There's TWELVE times lower risk of dying WITH a positive for something (but not FROM) currently than the peak deaths FROM respiratory disease in 2018!
People talking about this that and the other and compliance but so much else that poses greater threat of harm to individuals and wider society/public health is ignored, the hypocrisy is staggering but not the least surprising from the brain dead in society.


BF268B65-6715-44F6-B618-62457050B55F.png
Chart of Covid symptoms


Sometimes I get emails at work like this where it would have been quicker to meet my request. It’s no big deal and not worth dying in a ditch over.
You sound like an ABD (Association of British Drivers) member that’s just heard about a cycle lane being installed on a road he never uses.
However the chart seemed interesting - as much comprised of anxiety about Covid as actual Covid?

Phileas
Posts: 277
Joined: 18 Feb 2009, 6:12pm
Location: Bristol

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby Phileas » 29 Jul 2020, 4:23pm

Oldjohnw wrote:Talking of proper science, I was wondering if the UC's "99% of scientists are lieing to us" has some science behind it.

The same thought occurred to me:
The utility cyclist wrote:the test cannot isolate the alleged virus strain, we know this is a scientific fact,

Obviously only science approved by him counts.

Jdsk
Posts: 1309
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby Jdsk » 29 Jul 2020, 4:27pm

David9694 wrote:However the chart seemed interesting - as much comprised of anxiety about Covid as actual Covid?

More, please... I'm not sure what you're asking.

Thanks

Jonathan

David9694
Posts: 602
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 8:42am

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby David9694 » 30 Jul 2020, 8:04am

Jdsk wrote:
David9694 wrote:However the chart seemed interesting - as much comprised of anxiety about Covid as actual Covid?

More, please... I'm not sure what you're asking.

Thanks

Jonathan


I think Utility needs to get over himself and wear a mask when required. It won’t be “I saw a cyclist jump a red light” So much as “I saw a cyclist not wear a mask in Superdrug”.

I think the condition is Real enough and I have no wish to catch it - I’m pretty sure I haven’t so far. If I have to have a few days in bed feeling like sh*t, I can - literally - live with that. I’m Especially concerned about the reported long-term effects on otherwise healthy people. I can however relate to several of the symptoms shown on the chart and so can my wife: cornoanxiety we call it.

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4674
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby Oldjohnw » 30 Jul 2020, 10:44am

I experience from time to time - but, thankfully, not all together - most of the symptoms in on the list. And have done long before CV-19 was ever heard of.
Last edited by Oldjohnw on 30 Jul 2020, 12:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

landsurfer
Posts: 5119
Joined: 27 Oct 2012, 9:13pm

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby landsurfer » 30 Jul 2020, 10:49am

We've had it .. me, jules, no symptoms shown by the children ..... though Connor tested positive as the same time as me and jules ... Us grown ups are late 50's and early 60's .... self tested and govt tested. ....

Masks are nothing to do with keeping yourself or others safe ..their a pathetic attempt by a pointless government to subvert attention from the thousands killed by their ineptitude ....and an economy destroyed for years to come ....well thats what i think ....
The Road Goes On Forever

simonhill
Posts: 3006
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 11:28am
Location: Essex

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby simonhill » 30 Jul 2020, 11:57am

What use is a mask in your bike bag.

My bike bag spends most of its time folded up in my panniers. I s'pose I would have the mask nice (note use of unfavoured word) and handy for when I got to the airport.

Have I answered the question?

Jdsk
Posts: 1309
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby Jdsk » 30 Jul 2020, 12:02pm

The use of masks for either public health or political advantage by the Government is interesting and important. But it doesn't bear on the evidence of their effectiveness.

Jonathan

Jdsk
Posts: 1309
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: A mask in your bike bag?

Postby Jdsk » 30 Jul 2020, 12:06pm

David9694 wrote:I think the condition is Real enough and I have no wish to catch it - I’m pretty sure I haven’t so far. If I have to have a few days in bed feeling like sh*t, I can - literally - live with that. I’m Especially concerned about the reported long-term effects on otherwise healthy people. I can however relate to several of the symptoms shown on the chart and so can my wife: cornoanxiety we call it.

Thanks.

I wouldn't advocate rigidly allocating any symptom of anything to either psychological or nonpsychological causes: it's all too complex for that. But especially not fatigue and breathlessness occurring in a disease that can be so damaging to lungs.

Jonathan