Rebuilt sturmey archer hubs

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
eoi2621

Rebuilt sturmey archer hubs

Postby eoi2621 » 22 Jul 2020, 8:56pm

Is there anywhere that sells reconditioned hubs with a warranty ? After a 40 hole 3 speed

seph

Re: Rebuilt sturmey archer hubs

Postby seph » 22 Jul 2020, 9:21pm

No personal experience, but you could ask this chap..
https://colwoodwheelworks.co.uk/courses ... er-course/
He certainly services/ fixes them. Could teach you how to as well :D

seph

Postby seph » 22 Jul 2020, 9:25pm

...and sjsc have NOS hubs, it would be easy to swap the internal into a 40 hole shell...
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hubs-intern ... -hole-nos/
A brand new hub :D

pedals2slowly

Postby pedals2slowly » 23 Jul 2020, 9:38am

In my experience SA 3 speed hubs don't go wrong, just get a second hand one from your local tip/cycle recycling hub or local cycle hoarder, clean it up and build into the wheel of your choice.
I'm running a 50 year old hub which I very much doubt has ever been disassembled

eoi2621

Postby eoi2621 » 23 Jul 2020, 9:48am

cheers loads on ebay that say they are working but don't want to go to expense of getting a wheel built and then find they are duff . Local bbike bloke has new 36 hole ones but no 40 hole which is what i need

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 23 Jul 2020, 10:49am

SA 3s is very simple inside so I would suggest that you get a used hub and rebuild it if this proves necessary. Buying a hub with a warranty sounds great in theory but if using the warranty means having the wheel rebuilt and shipping parts about the place, this is in practice much more of a PITA than fixing the hub is. Worst case is that you have to put in another internal; costs £20 to buy currently and takes ten minutes to fit; big whup.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

eoi2621

Postby eoi2621 » 23 Jul 2020, 11:15am

cheers for advice

Carlton green

Postby Carlton green » 23 Jul 2020, 12:37pm

eoi2621 wrote:cheers loads on ebay that say they are working but don't want to go to expense of getting a wheel built and then find they are duff . Local bbike bloke has new 36 hole ones but no 40 hole which is what i need

I share your dilemma in not wanting to build a hub into a wheel without some certainty that it’s working. I managed to open up a hub by clamping it in a vice (using soft jaws, of course) but it’s far from ideal and you also have to be / become capable of stripping and rebuilding a hub. In hindsight I could have just mounted the hub in the rear forks, attached a chain and controls, and seem whether it drove through each gear. A bit of hand pressure and a rag pressing on the hub should provide some drag for the hub to try to rotate against and it should be possible to check the freewheeling action at the same time, etc. Once laced into a wheel opening a hub up is comparatively easy and allows you to properly service and maintain the hub, the hub on my utility bike was opened up and serviced when built into a rim. Assuming a hub passes the unlaced functionality test described above I would now always proceed by lacing the wheel before opening the ‘can’ ... and of course rather than stripping it you could just add a little oil and try running the (functional) hub as is.