Sense of humour failure?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cyril Haearn

Re: Sense of humour failure?

Postby Cyril Haearn » 24 Jul 2020, 8:54am

There are plenty of people, ideas, actions to hate (hold in contempt, despise) and good reasons for doing so and for using the word
I think it is a good word

What other words might be suitable?
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we dislike mortons

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 24 Jul 2020, 9:05am

Love and Hate are opposites.
Love is a beautiful emotion.
Hate is an ugly emotion.
Neither should be used without thought.

Dislike, awful, euch!, contemptuous, despise ............... lots of expressions if you think about it.
Mick F. Cornwall

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 24 Jul 2020, 9:11am

Mick F wrote:Love and Hate are opposites.
Love is a beautiful emotion.
Hate is an ugly emotion.
Neither should be used without thought.

Dislike, awful, euch!, contemptuous, despise ............... lots of expressions if you think about it.

Yes i know love and hate are opposites mick.
Without the opposites we wouldn't be human/alive.
Are you telling me that teachers are telling kids to litter sentences with euch! ?

If they are saying hate shouldn't be used but despise is ok i fear they have really lost the linguistic plot.
For I would say that "despise" is a stronger term.

God forbid we should end up under the thumb of linguistic priests.
Sweep

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 24 Jul 2020, 9:15am

Mick F wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
Jdsk wrote:Who's doing that, please?

As a governor of two schools I have not come across that. And the head has not heard it either.
Mrs Mick F was until last year, a long-standing HLTA (high level teaching assistant) and I've just asked her about what the children were taught about "hate".

She said that it was always discouraged as there are much nicer words to describe what they like and do not like.

That I recognise. My parents taught me that. Somewhere in the middle of the last century. Banning it as a swear word is not quite the same. I discouraged my own children from saying "I hate Mary/Tom." Better to say "Mary/Tom annoys me when....." That is not language police but trying to instill politeness.
John

peetee

Postby peetee » 24 Jul 2020, 9:27am

I regard ‘Nice’ As a cringeworthy word and use it comically to scorn the sort of wholesome, sickly, moralistic content that is often clumsily inserted into TV or film media. In the middle of a film I can sometimes be heard to say with curled back lip “Watch out! Here comes the nice bit!”
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 24 Jul 2020, 9:30am

Oldjohnw wrote:. I discouraged my own children from saying "I hate Mary/Tom." Better to say "Mary/Tom annoys me when....." That is not language police but trying to instill politeness.

I think that rather depends what mary and tom are like.
What if they are malignant self serving malicious sociopaths?

Do we differentially love them?
Sweep

philg

Postby philg » 24 Jul 2020, 9:48am

peetee wrote: “Watch out! Here comes the nice ...”

Not a Small Faces fan then? :)

I too was told by a teech (in the 60s) not to use 'nice' so maybe it was a widely held belief in skools.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 24 Jul 2020, 9:56am

Sweep wrote:Are you telling me that teachers are telling kids to litter sentences with euch! ?
Of course not! :lol:
I was saying that there are different ways of expressing that you don't like something rather than using the "hate" word.
I have a thesaurus somewhere. I should dig it out from the depths of wherever it is.

Oldjohnw wrote:My parents taught me that. Somewhere in the middle of the last century. Banning it as a swear word is not quite the same. I discouraged my own children from saying "I hate Mary/Tom." Better to say "Mary/Tom annoys me when....." That is not language police but trying to instill politeness.
Exactly that.

We have such a rich language and we should use it.
Mick F. Cornwall

Vantage

Postby Vantage » 24 Jul 2020, 10:02am

I love to hate my not very nice neighbours. I'm probably going to hell.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 24 Jul 2020, 10:19am

Oldjohnw wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
rjb wrote:Primary school children are now being taught that the word "Hate" is a swear word.

Who's doing that, please?

As a governor of two schools I have not come across that. And the head has not heard it either.

Thanks.

I'd have guessed that. But I'd be interested if this started with yet more reactionary criticism of modern education or if it's a misunderstanding of something to do with "hate speech" now that that term is in common use.

Jonathan

Sweep

Postby Sweep » 24 Jul 2020, 11:38am

Vantage wrote:I love to hate my not very nice neighbours. I'm probably going to hell.

:)
Sweep

DevonDamo

Postby DevonDamo » 24 Jul 2020, 11:54am

Jdsk wrote:I'd have guessed that. But I'd be interested if this started with yet more reactionary criticism of modern education or if it's a misunderstanding of something to do with "hate speech" now that that term is in common use

As soon as I saw this vague assertion that the word 'hate' was being banned, I smelled a rat. Sure enough - a thorough Google search will find absolutely nothing on this. So what's happened here is clearly that some well-meaning teacher has said "don't you think it's a bit mean to say you 'hate' little Timmy" and some purple-faced Daily Mail reader has translated this into the 'snowflakes' now having officially banned the word.

I remember a bloke in our office getting very angry and passionate about the (made-up) story that Birmingham council banned the word 'Christmas' and replaced it with 'Winterval.' When I presented him with the apologies which the Daily Mail et al. were forced to make when their opinion-writers got found out for lying about this, he literally refused to listen and just kept repeating that his mum used to work there so he knows...
Last edited by DevonDamo on 24 Jul 2020, 3:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jdsk

Postby Jdsk » 24 Jul 2020, 11:57am

Sounds plausible to me.

But you're misquoting Oldjohnw!

: - )

Jonathan

Oldjohnw

Postby Oldjohnw » 24 Jul 2020, 12:31pm

DevonDamo wrote:
Jdsk wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:I'd have guessed that. But I'd be interested if this started with yet more reactionary criticism of modern education or if it's a misunderstanding of something to do with "hate speech" now that that term is in common use

As soon as I saw this vague assertion that the word 'hate' was being banned, I smelled a rat. Sure enough - a thorough Google search will find absolutely nothing on this. So what's happened here is clearly that some well-meaning teacher has said "don't you think it's a bit mean to say you 'hate' little Timmy" and some purple-faced Daily Mail reader has translated this into the 'snowflakes' now having officially banned the word.

I remember a bloke in our office getting very angry and passionate about the (made-up) story that Birmingham council banned the word 'Christmas' and replaced it with 'Winterval.' When I presented him with the apologies which the Daily Mail et al. were forced to make when their opinion-writers got found out for lying about this, he literally refused to listen and just kept repeating that his mum used to work there so he knows...

Quotation attributed to me above not mine.
John

David9694

Postby David9694 » 24 Jul 2020, 12:34pm

Topic hijackers, all you.

We were told to avoid “nice” and “good” In our English compositions because they were common-place words and we should stretch our vocabulary a bit. Same went for s/he “said“.