road frame & forks with eyelets and clearance for mud guards

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
soma sage

road frame & forks with eyelets and clearance for mud guards

Post by soma sage »

hello people, I'm a new poster and wondering whether I could crowd source your expertise to help me find a bike frame & forks?

What I am looking for is a 54cm frame with forks, preferably aluminium with eyelets and clearance for 700c wheels with 28mm tyres.

I have looked all over the internets and can't find anything. I used to own a Giant SCR (2006 model) Image
which was absolutely perfect but the frame eventually snapped on the seat tube as for some unknown reason, the design incorporated a seat post that fitted into a shim and over time it created a stress fracture and snapped.

I currently own a Specialized Allez but I've tried and failed to put some proper mud guards on and I need a frame for the coming winter commute. I do have a touring bike but I don't want to use it for work.

Any tips would be massively appreciated.

Thanks!
TrevA

Re: road frame & forks with eyelets and clearance for mud guards

Post by TrevA »

You don’t mention budget or preferred material but a Spa Cycles Audax frame has clearance for 28mm tyres with mudguards. It’s a steel frame and costs £365:

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m11b0s143p2 ... -and-Forks
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
soma sage

Post by soma sage »

thanks for the reply! I am looking for a second hand one, budget of £150.
soma sage

Post by soma sage »

steel or aluminium, road, touring, or hybrid. Even a mountain bike frame would do, as long as it fits 700c wheels (28" I think).

thanks again
soma sage

Post by soma sage »

that Spa frame is well tasty. I'm looking for something cheaper and that I don't mind leaving out in the rain. I do have Soma Saga which I use for touring but would not leave it out in public.
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

How about this frame?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trekking-hybrid-commuter-cyclocross-700c-frame-alloy-44-48-52-56-60cm-Available/252919185734?hash=item3ae3288146:g:3eQAAOSww9xZCvjf&var=551933696854

But swapping all your bits over can be a nightmare - will the seat post be same diameter, is the front mech fitting right and suit the new seat tube angle, bottom bracket type, brakes suitable to go over mudguards, different length cables etc. If you find out all that stuff it narrows your search down a lot.

I've done this sort of build several times, and usually find another £100 required to sort all the niggly bits.
You may well be best off selling the bike you have and buying what you want 2nd hand (if you can get it at the moment!)
soma sage

Post by soma sage »

thanks for that. Yes, I've realized it's a bit of nightmare trying to fit all my components on. For example, my rims (Mavic A719) can't have tyres less than 28mm.

This is my spec currently on the Specialized allez (and taken off the Giant SCR that snapped):

Mavic rims, front with XT dynamo hub; rear Shimano 105 (130mm), continental 28mm tyres
Shimano Deore Triple 9 speed crank
Shimano long reach caliper brakes
Hope bottom bracket (with spacers)
Mary handle bars, on one stem, A Head headset
B&M led lights front and rear
Rose rear rack

cheers!
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

I used to have a kinesis t2, nice light alu frame and plenty of room for guards. I ran it with 25s and guards but I think it could possibly squeeze 28s in. I sold it a few years ago and have always regretted it since! Really nice to ride.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/road.cc/co ... t-t2%3Famp

...think it’s been superseded now by the t3. I think you can pick up whole bikes or just frames quite cheaply 2nd hand
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Jamesh wrote:Wiggle winter frame?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/brand-x-rd-01- ... vEEALw_wcB

Cheers James

That looks like the business but says 25mm tyres -- phone wiggle to see if 28's would fit.

I was going to suggest buying a complete sec hand bike and changing the bits then anything that won't swap to the donor frame at least you've got option of keeping the gear on the frame.
I am here. Where are you?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I'd agree with Kinesis T2 and 4s models are designed for mud guards and relatively wide tyres. 4s at least is designed to take both long drop calipers and flat mount disc brakes.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

I too struggled to fit proper mudguards to a Specialized Allez, the main issue was under the fork crown and the brakes closing up on the guard. With all my usual tricks like cutting holes or forming the guard with heat still left things a little too close.

However when I fitted a new Shimano 105 groupset to the bike the new front brake allowed the mudguard to sit much higher and gave more width clearance too.

Still can only run 23mm tyres but with proper SKS full length guards.

May be worth a go. But overall if you live in a mucky road area, a frame with greater clearance, proper eyelets and the ability to run wider tyres may be better for a winter commuter.
soma sage

Post by soma sage »

thanks everybody, some good tips.

I think I have to decide what takes priority and what I'm willing to change. I do prefer having 28mm tyres and although it doesn't seem much of a difference to go with 25's, for me, the comfort levels don't compare. I'd also have to get a new set of wheels built but the mavic's are solid and are good for some touring. I would be willing to have my rear wheel rebuilt if a 135mm frame came up.

hoppy58 and jamesh, those both look great, the wiggle one is great value and they are both worthy of me doing further research to see if anyone managed to squeeze in 28's and mudguards.

Cowsham, I have looked for second hand fully equipped bikes, but again, there are so many variables, I haven't found the right bike yet.

Des 49 thanks for your first hand experience of trying to get mudguards on your allez. I have considered getting a dremel on to the section just underneath the fork crown and I did almost get the rear mudguard on with minimal rub but the squeeze is just too tight.

I've been thinking more to go with TrevA's recommendation of the Spa frame. Initial thoughts were that I don't want to make such a significant investment but now I'm thinking it would be great to have a super comfy steel ride for the commute and it will accommodate all my parts (not sure about rear wheel hub size, though). I am planning a trip to Harogate to test one out.

I do have a steel frame (Tange tubes Soma) tourer but I wouldn't use it for work as it would become a target for thieves. The Spa frame is a similar price range as the Soma but It's quite subtle and the spec won't be as 'attractive' as my Soma, so I may get away with it being left in public for hours each day.

I appreciate all your help so far. cheers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW if you are looking at used bikes (*) it may be worth looking at a Pinnacle dolomite; this has all the eyelets required, uses deeper drop calipers and the brake drop is (IME) exactly consistent front and rear. 28s and mudguards is possible but I think the bike -like most of its ilk- is better with 25s and mudguards. Since various tyres come up 26mm or 27mm you can pick and choose to suit a given bike exactly if you want to.

In a similar vein Dawes Audax might work for you; typically this is a steel frame with carbon fork in recent years.

(*) if you buy a complete bike used, you can usually end up with the bike you really want (by cherry-picking the parts etc) and another bike that can be sold.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
bazzo

Post by bazzo »

Check this item on eBay it may be what you are after. Not sure how near to Bolton you are.