Narrow men's cycling shoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
User avatar
geomannie
Posts: 607
Joined: 13 May 2009, 6:07pm

Narrow men's cycling shoes

Postby geomannie » 23 Jul 2020, 9:06pm

The thread about wide women's cycling shoes has me wondering about narrow men's. I have huge difficulty in finding shoes narrow enough. I am looking for 11-12's depending on brand (46 Euro), hopefully MTB style, 2 bolt.

Women's shoes tend to be narrower but are they available in this size?

Thoughts & suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
geomannie

Enigmadick
Posts: 31
Joined: 5 Mar 2016, 11:28am

Re: Narrow men's cycling shoes

Postby Enigmadick » 24 Jul 2020, 8:09am

Try Sidi which being Italian are very stylish and typically narrow. Not cheap but beautifully made and last for years.

I use their MTB racing shoes and MTB winter boots and reckon £200-£300 quid for something that lasts the best part of a decade is damn good value.



[https://sidi.com/en/products/cycling/shoes/strada]
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett

User avatar
geomannie
Posts: 607
Joined: 13 May 2009, 6:07pm

Re: Narrow men's cycling shoes

Postby geomannie » 24 Jul 2020, 11:47am

Enigmadick wrote:Try Sidi which being Italian are very stylish and typically narrow. Not cheap but beautifully made and last for years.

I use their MTB racing shoes and MTB winter boots and reckon £200-£300 quid for something that lasts the best part of a decade is damn good value.



[https://sidi.com/en/products/cycling/shoes/strada]

Thanks. I will have a look. The price seems high but if they last then worth the money.
geomannie

nez
Posts: 1820
Joined: 19 Jun 2008, 12:11am

Re: Narrow men's cycling shoes

Postby nez » 25 Jul 2020, 7:29pm

geomannie wrote:The thread about wide women's cycling shoes has me wondering about narrow men's. I have huge difficulty in finding shoes narrow enough. I am looking for 11-12's depending on brand (46 Euro), hopefully MTB style, 2 bolt.

Women's shoes tend to be narrower but are they available in this size?

Thoughts & suggestions appreciated.

Thanks


There are ways of tying sports shoes for narrow feet - I think a bit of googling will find them. I have the opposite problem!

User avatar
geomannie
Posts: 607
Joined: 13 May 2009, 6:07pm

Re: Narrow men's cycling shoes

Postby geomannie » 25 Jul 2020, 8:37pm

nez wrote:
geomannie wrote:The thread about wide women's cycling shoes has me wondering about narrow men's. I have huge difficulty in finding shoes narrow enough. I am looking for 11-12's depending on brand (46 Euro), hopefully MTB style, 2 bolt.

Women's shoes tend to be narrower but are they available in this size?

Thoughts & suggestions appreciated.

Thanks


There are ways of tying sports shoes for narrow feet - I think a bit of googling will find them. I have the opposite problem!


Err thanks, but as a life long owner of narrow feet, I have already tried everything. I invariably run out of adjustment but can to an extent offset that by using insoles. I then get the issue of lack of heel grip. Shoes that fit would be a great help, hence my question.
geomannie

User avatar
geomannie
Posts: 607
Joined: 13 May 2009, 6:07pm

Re: Narrow men's cycling shoes

Postby geomannie » 25 Jul 2020, 8:39pm

geomannie wrote:
Enigmadick wrote:Try Sidi which being Italian are very stylish and typically narrow. Not cheap but beautifully made and last for years.

I use their MTB racing shoes and MTB winter boots and reckon £200-£300 quid for something that lasts the best part of a decade is damn good value.



[https://sidi.com/en/products/cycling/shoes/strada]

Thanks. I will have a look. The price seems high but if they last then worth the money.


I note that with Sidi shoes you are advised on Chain Reaction to up-size by one size. Any idea why? Is it perhaps because they are narrow, or because their sizing is short? Thanks if you know.
geomannie

Enigmadick
Posts: 31
Joined: 5 Mar 2016, 11:28am

Re: Narrow men's cycling shoes

Postby Enigmadick » 26 Jul 2020, 7:20am

I think it's because they are a narrow fit and most people need to go up a size. Perhaps best to buy from a retail stockist where you can try them on.
ENIGMA DICK aka Richard Barrett

User avatar
LinusR
Posts: 418
Joined: 24 May 2017, 7:27pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Narrow men's cycling shoes

Postby LinusR » 26 Jul 2020, 7:59am

geomannie wrote:
I note that with Sidi shoes you are advised on Chain Reaction to up-size by one size. Any idea why? Is it perhaps because they are narrow, or because their sizing is short? Thanks if you know.


I wear Sidi size 46 - same as I wear for other shoes. No idea why CR is suggesting that.

User avatar
geomannie
Posts: 607
Joined: 13 May 2009, 6:07pm

Re: Narrow men's cycling shoes

Postby geomannie » 26 Jul 2020, 8:22am

Enigmadick wrote:I think it's because they are a narrow fit and most people need to go up a size. Perhaps best to buy from a retail stockist where you can try them on.


I wish I could. I was in Evans yesterday but was not allowed to try on because of Covid infection risk. I could buy, try at home and return if ill fitting (apparently the shoes would be quarantined), but trying on in the shop a no-no.
geomannie

Janwal
Posts: 7
Joined: 21 Dec 2018, 7:50pm

Re: Narrow men's cycling shoes

Postby Janwal » 27 Jul 2020, 10:31pm

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giro-Empire-VR ... ium=648417
These are definitely a narrow fit. I tried a pair as I have had Giro before but they were too tight for me. This is also a good price for them. Tredz also do free returns.

slowster
Posts: 1466
Joined: 7 Jul 2017, 10:37am

Re: Narrow men's cycling shoes

Postby slowster » 29 Jul 2020, 1:49pm

Wiggle stock a lot of different brands, including much of the Sidi range. I think it's not unusual for people to order several pairs of different shoes from Wiggle to try, and then make use of their relatively low cost returns policy to send them all back bar the one that fits them best (or send them all back if none fit). If you do this, you might find yourself having to pay for all the shoes and wait for the refund to be processed and appear on your next statement, and given the price of some shoes that could be a substantial amount. If you timed it carefully and ordered immediately after the statement date and then returned the unwanted shoes without delay, the refund might be processed before the next statement.

It might also be worthwhile signing up to https://www.sportpursuit.com/. A lot of brands, which sometimes includes Sidi, use Sport Pursuit to sell off surplus stock at a discount, which can sometimes be quite substantial. It's necessary to create an account to access the website (and then send the marketing emails to your spam folder or block them), but I think that is because the brands don't want the prices to be visible to the general public, because it would undermine sales through their retailers at normal RRP. Note that Sport Pursuit's business model also means that there is often a delay of weeks before an item is sent: rather than holding stock themselves a product is advertised for a relatively short period, and then at the end of the sale all the orders received are processed and sent out.