natty ways with ratchet straps

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

natty ways with ratchet straps

Post by simonineaston »

Back in the day, only a carter would know how to do this - that's why we paid 'em... but now-a-days, when we can get anything from China mainly, at reasonable prices - ney! - for next to nothing!! so we can all have everything we like. And what I like is a pair of ratchet straps, terminated with what I understand are referred to as J or wire hooks. Trouble is the bloody things keep dropping away from the lashing points... does anyone know a cunning rouse by which the hook stays put long enough for me to tension the strap??
metal hooks at both ends...
metal hooks at both ends...
I'd have threaded the hook through the lashing point and hooked it around the strap, but the hook is too big to pass through...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
thirdcrank

Re: natty ways with ratchet straps

Post by thirdcrank »

Pre-tighten till they are nearly the right length?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

tried that... but the lashing points are all but inaccessible once all the luggage is in situ...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

feed the hook through the hole 'the wrong way' so it can't drop out so easily...?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

tbh, it's a bit unfair asking you guys, as you can't see what's going on, but believe you me, I've tried every permutation of right-way, wrong-way, upside-down-way, back-to-front-way ! I'm gonna remove the wire hook and sew a loop at the end, thread the loop through the lashing point & then pop the tail end of the strap back through the loop... The primary purpose is to stop my Moulton-in-a-suitase joining me in the front of my BMW mini, in the event of a crash or (more likely - fingers X'ed...) an emergency stop, as well as stopping the rest of the week-end trip's luggage scooting about in the back of the car. Thanks for your ideas, anyway :D
S
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If Brucey's suggestion doesn't work, you are into the need for assistants preferably one to each hook to keep its strap taut while you adjust then ratchet. At the very least, that will give you somebody to remonstrate with if they fail in their task.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The trick is to keep the hooked none ratched end taught in the anchor point with one hand,whilst feeding the other end through ratchet slot,then hook up the rachet end and tighten :)

Another way is to fashion a snap lock out of a wire coathanger on the none ratchet/blind end :wink:

Or even use a reuseable ziptie around the hook of the blind end to stop it unhooking :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NickWi

Post by NickWi »

Replace the hooks with a Carabiner Hook? One clicked into the anchor point it then wouldn't matter of they lose tension, that's be corrected when you take tighten things up. They don't need to be climbing quality, but a cheap aluminium one would be more than strong enough.

Amazom has loads.https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=Carabiners ... _sb_noss_2
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Replace the hooks with a Carabiner Hook?
Dude! I could kiss you!! And I've only just dug out my old climbing gear a couple of weeks ago to flog - now why didn't I think of that?! Doh!
S
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

FWIW multiple bungies might hold the thing more securely anyway, and these can be looped through the far eye...?

Also if sliding forwards is the main worry, the handle of the case need only be lashed to the rearmost eye to prevent this from happening?

...and/or correct use of an O-ring or two ought to help make the hook more secure in the eye?

Just a few thoughts anyway.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

All good thoughts - thank-you, as always!
S
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Beware when using ratchet straps that its easy to over-tighten them and damage something. Also bare this in mind if you decide to replace the hooks with carabiners, especially cheap aluminium ones.

Even 25mm straps can generate a lot of force.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Elastic band to hold the hook in place for the short time you need before tensioning?

It is usually possible to hold tension on both ends as you get the first turn(s) on the windlass part.
Pull the long end tight but slightly away from the item to be secured after threading through the windlass. The windlass hook is near to hand and easier to hold in place
The rachet should be in the closed position (ready to get a good long initial turning) and put the slot into a position easy to thread the start of the long strap.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

With the more straightforward single straps...https://www.screwfix.com/p/ratchet-tie-down-straps-5m-x-25mm-2-pack/24567...
I think it would be easier; just thread the strap through the inaccessible eyelet, add the load, thread through the accessible eyelet and tighten up.?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Nick's suggestion that I use carabiners (or 'crabs' as they are known in the climbing community...) has worked out very well. They're a perfect fit in the loop, alongside the existing 'wire hook', meaning that option remains available and I'm spared cutting & sewing my own extra loops. All other helpful advice has been read, absorbed and applied, with excellent results - truly, you are all like some walking, talking wikipedia of useful life-hacks... :wink:
S