natty ways with ratchet straps

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
freiston

Re: natty ways with ratchet straps

Postby freiston » 25 Jul 2020, 12:07am

I've heard a lot of good things about using ski straps as an alternative on the back of the bike - stretchy rubber straps with a proper buckle.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)

Redvee

Postby Redvee » 25 Jul 2020, 1:36am

How do HGV drivers cope when strapping their loads down with man-size ratchet straps that are several metres long?
The seperate the two parts of the strap so the ratchet part is on one side of the trailer and the strap part is on the other and is hooked in place and thrown over the load whilst keeping tension on the hook, before they feed the strap through the ratchet mechanism they give a quick pull to make sure the strap is still hooked in place.

mattsccm

Postby mattsccm » 25 Jul 2020, 7:43am

Sadly this is what I end up doing with all my krabs. Over a hundred just going to waste.

iandusud

Postby iandusud » 25 Jul 2020, 9:12am

531colin wrote:With the more straightforward single straps...https://www.screwfix.com/p/ratchet-tie-down-straps-5m-x-25mm-2-pack/24567...
I think it would be easier; just thread the strap through the inaccessible eyelet, add the load, thread through the accessible eyelet and tighten up.?

I was thinking the same thing. I have both types but generally use the single straps because they are easier to use.