Garmin Connect - ransomware victim?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Farrina

Garmin Connect - ransomware victim?

Postby Farrina » 24 Jul 2020, 6:35pm

For those of you using a Garmin device (myself included) the auto-upload of rides to Connect and thence to other sites (e.g. Strava) seems to be broken. You may have to dig your USB cables out and power up your computers to manually upload your FIT files (to Strava)

According to the BBC they may be a victim of ransomware

Garmin smartwatch users cannot get hands on data https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-53531178

Navara

Re: Garmin Connect - ransomware victim?

Postby Navara » 24 Jul 2020, 7:46pm

It's been down over 48hrs now.I think it's more serious than Garmin are letting on.My Garmin connect App has been stating either "planned maintenance" or "maintenance from 4-8pm" for 2 days now.
Typical as I bought a Garmin watch last weekend :roll:

ratherbeintobago

Postby ratherbeintobago » 24 Jul 2020, 9:23pm

It’s a minor inconvenience for us but apparently it’s taken down some of their aviation products which is a much bigger problem.

Redvee

Postby Redvee » 25 Jul 2020, 1:41am

First became aware when I tried to upload an activity from my Garmin watch on Thursday and had an error message pop up saying transfer failed then I read about it online. Had to resort to USB cable and manually upload to Strava.

MIB2020

Postby MIB2020 » 25 Jul 2020, 10:06am

Just my luck, new Garmin explore, going away , have no computer so use phone and Bluetooth , now can’t load any routes !!

Farrina

Postby Farrina » 25 Jul 2020, 11:28am

Going off at a slight tangent for those of you who, given the current apparent chaos at Garmin, might be uncomfortable with the security (as in preventing data loss) of your long-standing data held in the "Strava cloud" its straight forward to download a copy of your data.

Proceed thus (from a computer)

Login to your Strava account via Web Browser
Go top right and select
Settings (third down in list)
On newly opened page left hand side select (second down)
My Account
Go to Download or delete your account
Get started
Option 2 - Download Request (optional)
Request your archive

Depending on how busy Strava is you should receive an email within a few minutes containing a link to download your archive in zipped form. If Strava is busy this can take some hours.

Obviously as regards Garmin its to late. I have previously investigated this but found their data file (unlike Strava's) was impenetrable

hodge

Postby hodge » 25 Jul 2020, 1:05pm

For those like me, who aren't on Strava . . . there is another way around this if you want to download a ride from your Garmin to view a map of the route you've done, and all the available data the Garmin has recorded from the ride including Garmin segments and graphs of Elevation/Speed/HR/Temperature etc.

Plug your Garmin into another computer that can host ridewithgps.
Find/select ridewithgps, click on 'jump to' from the rwgps toolbar, select 'upload'
double click on 'select files' this will take you to the home page of the computer you have the Garmin plugged into.
I can only speak of my experience on a Windows computer here, in which case click on 'Computer' which should bring up the 'disc' drives on your computer.
Garmin will be one of these and (in my case) has an 'E' (internal) and 'F' (SD card) drive.
opt for whatever memory you record rides to within your Garmin - I think 'E' is the default unless you have previously selected SD card yourself.
the pathway (via a double click) then is 'Garmin' > 'Activities' and the date of the ride you want to upload. Select the ride you want to upload and this will then show as uploading back on the rwgps page.

If you want to upload a route you've planned on rwgps, without needing to use Garmin Connect, the instructions are available on rwpgs and described there much better than I can.

Prior to the current outage, rwgps automatically uploaded 'rides' to my rwgps account via Garmin Connect, otherwise, I didn't really need to use Garmin Connect.
This post is just to show the work around I would have needed myself if I'd recently got a Garmin and wasn't on Strava. It doesn't require Garmin Connect at all but uses the Garmin as an external disc drive. I does involve bit more 'clicking' though.
Last edited by hodge on 25 Jul 2020, 3:23pm, edited 2 times in total.

backnotes

Postby backnotes » 25 Jul 2020, 1:56pm

There's a bit more background on this in this article:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... re-attack/

Not based on official statement from Garmin, but "sources close to..." etc.

Syd

Postby Syd » 25 Jul 2020, 3:35pm

Another example of a first world problem.

So what if you can’t upload data for a few days, weeks or months?

I appreciate its more of an issue for those touring but a paper map should really always be readily to hand as technical failures are always possible.

bazzo

Postby bazzo » 25 Jul 2020, 3:45pm

Ah that explains it. Thank you

RickH

Postby RickH » 25 Jul 2020, 7:42pm

Possibly of some use to some people needing to get routes onto an Edge with only a smartphone (android at least). The only things you need are your charging cable - a Garmin branded one will definitely work, with others check before you leave home - & an On The Go (OTG) adapter. Hook them together & you should be able to access the internal memory of the Edge from your phone (I've found that there doesn't appear to be a way of accessing the SD card this way). I have used this technique on an Edge 605 & 1000 since at least 2015 (I've no idea when OTG became "a thing"). It may work with other units (such as Etrex & Montana) but I've no experience.

As long as you can download routes to your phone from whatever your favourite route planner is (I've found cycle.travel to be workable on my phone). I usually save as TCX files, or sometimes FIT if that is an option with the planning software, but GPX should work OK too.

With newer Edges you just need to put the file in the "New files" folder it will put it in the right place, converting it to a FIT file in the process. With my old 605 I needed to put a TCX in the courses folder.

You should then find the route listed under courses on your Edge ready to use.

I usually copy the files for a preplanned route onto my phone as backup copies before I go away anyway.

ratherbeintobago

Postby ratherbeintobago » 27 Jul 2020, 11:09am

Seems to be back up but I assume my Zwift ride from Thu has disappeared into the ether.

Navara

Postby Navara » 27 Jul 2020, 11:26am

ratherbeintobago wrote:Seems to be back up but I assume my Zwift ride from Thu has disappeared into the ether.

If it's saved on your unit it will still be there.

Garmin Connect on IOS is sort of working but the Connect IQ App is still down.

ratherbeintobago

Postby ratherbeintobago » 27 Jul 2020, 11:43am

Navara wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote:Seems to be back up but I assume my Zwift ride from Thu has disappeared into the ether.

No, it's saved on Zwift but uploads to GC at the end of the ride. Today's has gone across…

Navara

Postby Navara » 27 Jul 2020, 2:54pm

ratherbeintobago wrote:
Navara wrote:

No, it's saved on Zwift but uploads to GC at the end of the ride. Today's has gone across…

Haven't use Zwift for a couple of years.Mine was connected to Strava rather than Garmin so I presumed it would just transfer over when they talked to each other as it did IIRC.