...about lead times for custom builds?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonhill
Posts: 2998
Joined: 13 Jan 2007, 11:28am
Location: Essex

Re: ...about lead times for custom builds?

Postby simonhill » 27 Jul 2020, 4:48pm

freeflow wrote:Can we have some clarifying terminology.

Custom Build = frame built to your specification plus components you specify.

Custom Assembly = Standard frame assembled into a bike using components you specify.

The wait time for a custom assembly should be much much shorter than for a custom build.


Not trying to be picky, but is this the correct (generally accepted) terminology? If so, I've been calling my bikes by the wrong handle and my custom built LHTs are really custom assembled LHTs.

freeflow
Posts: 1319
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 1:54pm

Re: ...about lead times for custom builds?

Postby freeflow » 27 Jul 2020, 5:01pm

I don't know. I'm just trying to get clarity as some posters were talking about frame builds whilst others were talking about assembly.

User avatar
printedland
Posts: 88
Joined: 21 Feb 2017, 9:48am
Location: Cumbria

Re: ...about lead times for custom builds?

Postby printedland » 27 Jul 2020, 6:55pm

Just to keep on the original topic:

Have you considered building up from an off-the-peg frame from somewhere like Bob Jackson's? According to their website:

Please note that due to high volume of orders the current lead time for our off the peg range is approximately 4 weeks from receipt of order.


I had one of their 'World Tour' frames made up into the comfiest bike I have ever ridden.

Also, given that they make frames in half-inch increments, you can get a really good fit unless you're an uncommon shape.

David9694
Posts: 602
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 8:42am

Re: ...about lead times for custom builds?

Postby David9694 » 27 Jul 2020, 7:11pm

freeflow wrote:I don't know. I'm just trying to get clarity as some posters were talking about frame builds whilst others were talking about assembly.


Check back up thread

mattsccm
Posts: 3302
Joined: 28 Nov 2009, 9:44pm

Re: ...about lead times for custom builds?

Postby mattsccm » 28 Jul 2020, 7:20am

A bike built from a stock frame and a collections of bits is just that however wonderful it is. Mine all are. Sticking the weird custom on is over egging it somewhat.

Des49
Posts: 733
Joined: 2 Dec 2014, 11:45am

Re: ...about lead times for custom builds?

Postby Des49 » 28 Jul 2020, 9:09am

pedalsheep wrote:Blimey, how things have changed! When I bought my Roberts in October 2006 it was 4 weeks from ordering to riding away on it!


Wow! How did that happen? My experience over 5 Roberts frames between myself and my wife have been many, many months wait, like plan for next season. These are from 1986 to sometime in the 90s. Even a repair and respray half a dozen years ago seemed to take over 6 months.

Worth the wait though.

tatanab
Posts: 4126
Joined: 8 Feb 2007, 12:37pm

Re: ...about lead times for custom builds?

Postby tatanab » 28 Jul 2020, 9:35am

^^^ especially with small builders it depends on their order book and what they want to do. A frame I waited 9 months for was due to a full order book in a one man business. In mid 2003 I ordered a frame from George Longstaff. Discussing what I wanted, he said "that fits in with my plans". 6 weeks later it was built and on its way to the painter.

User avatar
pedalsheep
Posts: 1118
Joined: 11 Aug 2009, 7:57pm

Re: ...about lead times for custom builds?

Postby pedalsheep » 28 Jul 2020, 2:35pm

Des49 wrote:
pedalsheep wrote:Blimey, how things have changed! When I bought my Roberts in October 2006 it was 4 weeks from ordering to riding away on it!


Wow! How did that happen? My experience over 5 Roberts frames between myself and my wife have been many, many months wait, like plan for next season. These are from 1986 to sometime in the 90s. Even a repair and respray half a dozen years ago seemed to take over 6 months.

Worth the wait though.

I must have just been lucky and caught him at a quiet time. As you say, well worth waiting for.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

David9694
Posts: 602
Joined: 10 Feb 2018, 8:42am

Re: ...about lead times for custom builds?

Postby David9694 » 28 Jul 2020, 10:26pm

printedland wrote:Just to keep on the original topic:

Have you considered building up from an off-the-peg frame from somewhere like Bob Jackson's? According to their website:

Please note that due to high volume of orders the current lead time for our off the peg range is approximately 4 weeks from receipt of order.


I had one of their 'World Tour' frames made up into the comfiest bike I have ever ridden.

Also, given that they make frames in half-inch increments, you can get a really good fit unless you're an uncommon shape.


Are the they accepting NHS prescriptions? Oh, sorry we’ve had that joke.