To help, or not to help?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
slowster

Re: To help, or not to help?

Postby slowster » 28 Jul 2020, 11:47am

simonineaston wrote:
The modern bugbear of INSURANCE. Just in case something goes wrong or is claimed to have.
It can't be beyond the scope of something like a simple log book, can it? The laminated frontispiece simply states "I, the undersigned, wheel away the bike & ride it at my own risk." then get the owner to sign and print name... [pending advice from a suitable lawyer, that is]

It would have no legal validity, and for very good reason. If someone were to 'fix' another person's bike and in so doing they made it dangerous to ride and the bike owner was seriously injured or killed as a result of that negligence or incompetence, it would obviously be wrong for the person responsible to be able to avoid civil liability on the grounds that the rider signed a waiver. In general such waivers can only have legal validity if they are for property damage/financial loss, i.e. not for injury or death.

If someone is not competent, they should not be working on other people's bikes. If they are negligent, they should take responsibility for their mistake.

As for the insurance aspect, if someone performs such work on another person's bike for payment then the general public liability cover part of their household contents insurance that they would otherwise be likely to be protected by, would probably not cover them, because the insurers would deem it undertaking a business. Obviously there is the potential for things not to be quite so black and white, and if someone fixed a friend's or neighbour's bike on a one-off or rare basis and received a pint or a bottle of wine as thanks, I would expect the insurers to have no issue with that. However, if they did so frequently then the insurers might view things differently.

peetee

Postby peetee » 28 Jul 2020, 11:52am

Offering a service from home should be accompanied at the very least by accurate work and financial records to offset the potential to be seen as operating under the radar, so to speak. Without work records it can be very difficult to remember what was done to what bike and who owned it, and therefore near impossible to deny liability. And guilt, if you want to call it that, can have personal repercussions even without the threat of legal proceedings. God forbid you should become the victim of a vengeful customer but doing everything you can to look professional rather than a back-street bodger could make all the difference if the authorities are involved in a dispute.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

simonineaston

Postby simonineaston » 28 Jul 2020, 12:28pm

Guess I'd better restrict my actions to offering advice, then...
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

DaveBeck

Postby DaveBeck » 28 Jul 2020, 2:42pm

I agree with peetee about keeping records. I keep records for the fleet of bikes I maintain at the Outdoor Ed. centre. Each one is numbered and, punctures apart, I keep a record of everything I've done on them.

Same with my own bikes, not that I'd ever sell them, but if I were to I could give a Full Service History to go with each one.