Getting cycle.travel route planner to follow MY route choice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mikeymo

Re: Getting cycle.travel route planner to follow MY route choice

Post by mikeymo »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
mikeymo wrote:RideWithGPS have announced a "popular routes" type thing:

https://ridewithgps.com/news/4859-introducing-popularity-influenced-routin?otu=

Yep - they've been working on this for a while. My personal opinion (we discussed this a bit in the Bike Show podcast the other week) is that a good route is defined by the absence of cars rather than the presence of other bikes, and that popularity-based routing is really troublesome because it can trivially be broken by club runs and things like that - Strava suffers from this a lot. But fortunately I don't have a monopoly on opinions and it's good that there are other approaches to routing. :D

I'm playing around with some really interesting stuff for cycle.travel's routing which I don't believe anyone else is working on, but it won't be finished this summer because Mrs F insists that I have to go on holiday...

Thanks for your insights.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:. My personal opinion (we discussed this a bit in the Bike Show podcast the other week) is that a good route is defined by the absence of cars rather than the presence of other bikes

Agree with you totally, especially as, from my experience, including over the North Downs the other week, I'm happy for SOME other cyclists to be well away from me.

Apart from that issue, have never understood this desire some folks clearly have to go where everyone else is going.

Keep up the great work - look forward to this interesting sounding advance after your well deserved hols.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:Apart from that issue, have never understood this desire some folks clearly have to go where everyone else is going.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/campaign/safety-in-numbers
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

The examples they give suggest that RWGPS's popularity-influenced routing is in practice minor non-deviation; instead of diverting you onto a quieter parallel route for a short distance, it will follow the main road you were already on. That IMO is good. At least for me! For some people, a couple of hundred metres of quieter road might be welcome; I'd probably rather stay on the same road and not deal with junctions. If the road is too busy, I'd rather not be on there in the first place and a minor rest from it won't really make it better.