Home insurance that covers theft of bikes from shed

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
danfoto

Home insurance that covers theft of bikes from shed

Post by danfoto »

Our home buildings and content's coming up for renewal and I've just realised that the "bicycles" cover has a max claim of £1K5 per bike, max £3K. Alas that's not enough to cover all four bikes we now have. At replacement cost, we're looking at £9K!

We're only concerned about theft from home, which in practice means the shed. Has anybody managed to find a home insurer that doesn't have a problem with such a proposition?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
simonineaston

Re: Home insurance that covers theft of bikes from shed

Post by simonineaston »

CoOp used to offer fairly generous cover for bikes, included in their home insurance policies but that was donks ago...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Mine is only 1k total I can make them specific items and pay an extra premium , but I store the bikes in the house
NUKe

Post by danfoto »

Thank you, sir, but it says that they specifically exclude any pedal cycle with a motor, which rather rules out the pedelecs. However, I've just been informed that Messrs Admiral are happy to insure any bikes as named items in a contents policy, so that seems to be a way forward. I just need to get them to confirm that in writing ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Ok am with Admiral. They were happy to cover my bike up to any price - I have a motor - but obviously at extra cost, although total home insurance (fully comp buildings and contents, Home emergency and Legal cover) came in under £200. They stipulated that I need sold Gold secure lock, even when in my locked shed.

I live in a very low crime area.
John
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Thanks John. I shall get back to them tomorrow and see what's what. Certainly their woman to whom I spoke earlier today seemed a bit more switched on than her counterpart at another insurer, who was apparently unable to get her system to do a search on "bicycle". I couldn't blame it really when I distinctly heard her talking to herself as she tried for the umpteenth time ... "B" ... "Y" ... "C" ...
TheBomber

Post by TheBomber »

I’ve ended up with Axa for similar reasons as the OP - they made no distinction between items in the house and those in the garage. You’d need to double check that a shed is similarly covered - though I believe it is.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Gosh, what a lark this is turning into. Axa don't want to know about bikes if their total replacement cost is over £3K, and Admiral are quoting £230 for more cover than I need on buildings and contents, and what I do need for the bikes i.e. just theft from the premises.

ETA - Oh the joys of being an old git :) Saga insurance are quoting £132 for everything I need, including cover for theft from the premises of four bikes (two of which are pedelecs) with a total replacement cost of £9K. So it would seem that my problem is solved.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Check the small print very carefully . . . . . . .
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Grandad wrote:Check the small print very carefully . . . . . . .

Any particular reason why you say that?
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

See what Lloyds Bank are offering these days. Years ago I contacted them about a home insurance policy and adding the bikes to it. I was told the bikes would be insured on the premises but not otherwise and there was no option to add away from premises cover. As we use our bikes the policy would have been worse than useless. However, that seems to be what the OP needs so maybe Lloyds offer the same policy now.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

I'm now signed up with Saga at £132 covering buildings, contents, greenhouse and the four bikes when on the premises, which is exactly what I need. One thing's for sure - it came as a bit of a shock when I calculated the replacement cost of the bikes! :shock:
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I'm with the AA it was the only insurance company that would cover me as my garage is 100 yards away from the house